Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A Few Questions That Have Probably Been Asked 100 Times

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Ralph: Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been logged in in a few. If you look over shotgun loads in the load books you will find that there is a load range with shot shells as with metallic cartridges. This is a little easier to follow in some of the powder manufactures fliers as some have loads listed in a line and not on a different page. (please don't let me be confusing) But, pick your powder and payload and you will note loads listed as target, light field, Heavy field etc. Generally the page will note that a certain percentage of the charge is ballisticly (sp) acceptable. Reloaders dropping charges through a bushing and not weighing their charges are trying to get as close as they can to the target weight and this is not often exact. Better a little less than too much. Gp
    Gp, thanks for the response. I can't tell you how much this "triggered" my OCD-ness. What a goofy way to present data. Now that I know though, I can start to use the info in a more educated way. As for the whole dropping charges... NEVER! I only use any powder throw to drop into a scale pan and then weigh. I have found that it only takes a second and then once I know how many turns on the powder trickler I need, I can hum right along.

When I decided on buying the Lee, I viewed the purchase as if I was simply buying another set of dies. I thought this would be the most economical way to get started. I only use it to decap, prime, resize, and crimp. If I could figure out how to use my hand held auto prime on shotshells, I would
    Colt 1911A Defender
    Sig P220
    LMT CQBPS16 - 5.56 Piston
    Benelli Nova Pump
    Marlin 444
    S&W Model 642
    US Navy Vet, AO1

Ralph: All reloaders with any sense and all their fingers (lacking an eye patch) are somewhat OCD. As you become more familiar with loading for shotguns you will relax a bit. I can assure you that if a few tenths in a powder charge were critical, all trap shooters would fire factory loaded shells. About 5% in a charge has no noticeable effect. Gp

OK, how's this? Better? The shell on the left is my HD round, a Remington Managed-Recoil Buckshot. My only concern here is that I can see slight outdents on the Federal hull. They did cycle through my Nova OK though so I'll assume this is OK?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200418_110219.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	260624

Name:	IMG_20200418_110206.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	260625
    Colt 1911A Defender
    Sig P220
    Benelli Nova Pump
    Marlin 444
    S&W Model 642
    US Navy Vet, AO1

Those look fine Ralph. If the loads cycle in an autoloader or a pump and after sitting a couple days don't open up on the crimp you're good to go. The little imperfections in the crimp may be from limitations of the LEE load-all. (I use them too) Looks like things are coming together. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Those look great. Brand new shells haven't had the crimp set in them yet, when you reload those shells they will look even better. Those will function great, good job.

Quick question... What metal are you guys using for round ball casting? Simple pure lead or an alloy?
    Colt 1911A Defender
    Sig P220
    Benelli Nova Pump
    Marlin 444
    S&W Model 642
    US Navy Vet, AO1

Boolit Grand Master

Alloy is not all that important. I've used pure lead, I've used wheel weights, and I've used heat treated wheel weights. They all work. Whatever alloy you have most of, use it.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Alloy is not all that important. I've used pure lead, I've used wheel weights, and I've used heat treated wheel weights. They all work. Whatever alloy you have most of, use it.
    Thank you sir.
    Colt 1911A Defender
    Sig P220
    Benelli Nova Pump
    Marlin 444
    S&W Model 642
    US Navy Vet, AO1

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I agree totally with this and the operative point is, "whatever you have the most of" since most balls are 1 oz or more you'll get 14-16 per pound of lead. So 100 balls will take @8-9 lbs.

The actual composition makes no difference.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I agree totally with this and the operative point is, "whatever you have the most of" since most balls are 1 oz or more you'll get 14-16 per pound of lead. So 100 balls will take @8-9 lbs.

The actual composition makes no difference.

Randy
    Thanks Randy.
    Colt 1911A Defender
    Sig P220
    Benelli Nova Pump
    Marlin 444
    S&W Model 642
    US Navy Vet, AO1

Here are my first round ball loads.
    Federal Hunting Style Hull (thanks again msm)
    12S3 Wad
    Mini Nitro Card, 16 ga
    Felt Wad, 0.25"
    .662 Round Ball
    Over Shot Card, 12 ga
    The round ball sat with the equator slightly below the top of the pedals. The top of the overshot card sat at 0.451 below the top of the shell (before crimp).

Name:	IMG_20200423_144150.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	260933
    Colt 1911A Defender
    Sig P220
    Benelli Nova Pump
    Marlin 444
    S&W Model 642
    US Navy Vet, AO1

Boolit Master

Ralph,
    Did you fold or roll crimp?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Ralph,
    Did you fold or roll crimp?
    I did a 6 fold crimp. The shells in the background of the pic are first 4 that I did.
    Colt 1911A Defender
    Sig P220
    Benelli Nova Pump
    Marlin 444
    S&W Model 642
    US Navy Vet, AO1

Boolit Master

Wow! I'm amazed that you were able ti do that! I use a 12S3 wad with a 1/8" nitro card in the bottom and a .662" RB, that fills the cup slightly over full about 1/16". No room for the felt wad! You must squish the bejeezers outa' that felt!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Wow! I'm amazed that you were able ti do that! I use a 12S3 wad with a 1/8" nitro card in the bottom and a .662" RB, that fills the cup slightly over full about 1/16". No room for the felt wad! You must squish the bejeezers outa' that felt!
    I'm using the Lee Load All. When I put in the 20 grains of Green Dot, I just set the wad at the depth that the Load All is at. I really don't have to do any further compacting in the shell. There is a ton of room in those Federal Hunting Hulls.
    Colt 1911A Defender
    Sig P220
    Benelli Nova Pump
    Marlin 444
    S&W Model 642
    US Navy Vet, AO1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralph029 View Post
    I'm using the Lee Load All. When I put in the 20 grains of Green Dot, I just set the wad at the depth that the Load All is at. I really don't have to do any further compacting in the shell. There is a ton of room in those Federal Hunting Hulls.
    Yes, that's probably the reason it works for you. I'm using Win. AA's (old style) and Peters Blue Magic hulls.

unknown

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345