Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman Confusion

Lyman Confusion

I was given a Lyman boolit mould marked "280479" which in Lyman mould coding would indicate 0.280" dia.

When cast of No.2 alloy I get a boolit of 0.313" weighing 186gns without a gas check. I can't find that code on any Lyman charts; I'm confused?

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Lyman had product numbers on there molds. The other numbers refer to the cherry that they would cut the mold with, and you are correct the first three number are the diameter and the last are the cherry. Looks like yours is a Lyman 311157.
    http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I was given a Lyman boolit mould marked "280479" which in Lyman mould coding would indicate 0.280" dia.

When cast of No.2 alloy I get a boolit of 0.313" weighing 186gns without a gas check. I can't find that code on any Lyman charts; I'm confused?

What you drop is obviously not what it's marked for so you have a right to be "confused". Only way that could happen is for the mold to be mismarked when it was made.

That bullet should work great for a .303 British.

Boolit Master
    I have a dual-cavity Lyman marked “358470” which has two .32 caliber Loverin gascheck cavities in it. I can’t find the 358470 number designation in my Lyman CB Handbooks.

So I guess it’s a rare “double” factory mistake, both in the number and the cavities. I was hoping it would have the Collector Interest that that postage stamp with the upside-down airplane achieved, but haven’t gotten any frantic offers of tons of money yet.

Boolit Master
    319295 Designed for .32-40 high power rifles. Excellent for hunting with greater velocities than most other bullets. Tip molds for the 319295 were available. (GC, FN, 174 - TP is 295)

Yea something is not right. Looks like a Gas-check bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Pedersoli mold for the paper cartridge sharps, casts .45 but marked with a .54 mold number. Just a factory error.

Boolit Grand Master

Might remember with some old Lyman moulds that Lyman made custom dimensional alterations at customer request back in the day. Your could be one of those or it could be mismarked. However, if not a custom mould that design (GC'd with a small meplat) is not one that Lyman used. I would suggest someone used the 280479 mould as a "blank" and simply recut the cavities with that larger design.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla