WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 9mm rifle load????

Boolit Grand Master

9mm rifle load????

Seeing more and more 9mm AR rifles at the range.
    Most don't seem to be all that accurats.
    I'm guessing most just use pistol load.
    Anyone reload 9mm for rifle????
    Looking for something for my Marlin Camp 9.
    So far I've found that it doesn't like 147gr condoms.
    115ge condoms do OK.
    Would like some cast boolets loads.

Watching this. I have an 8” barrel on mine. Have not done a lot of real accuracy tests. Just enough to hit a 6” diameter pipe at about 25 yards. Tons of fun. Good question, I look forward to the responses.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I've heard several folks say the 147s in 9mm aren't especially accurate.

I might be wrong, but I think the 147s were originally developed for the SEALs and to be used with a suppressor,
    to still deliver the max. 'thump', be sub-sonic, and relatively quiet.

Then everybody went to them because since the govt. bought them, they must be great.
    Not sure if that's true or not, but I don't think they were developed to win the Bianchi Cup.

The books that give rifle data for handgun cartridges get on up there, but seem to stop short of any
    loads that would bust apart a cheap handgun if they found their way into one.

I've got a few rounds of .357Mag I developed just for my Marlin CB.
    They're in very well labeled bags, in their own well labeled ammo can, and in a safe.
    The first thing I did when I got and started the .357 Marlin project was to sell my Smith 586 just for that reason.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-22-2020 at 12:58 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

125 jacketed and blue dot. I think k the old Speer manual with the powder kernels on the cover listed 8.+ gr (oldstimers, can't recall) but it is almost a case full. It cruises along and was accurate out of my CZ75.

Boolit Master
    How accurate do you want to be?

My AR 9mm has a 16" barrel and I built the rifle just like my 5.56 AR and used both for 3 gun style competitions. 125 grain TC moly lubed lead bullets work great and I use just slightly more win 231 powder than I do for pistol loads. With a 6 moa cmore red dot I can hit a 12" plate over and over again at 100 yards freestanding with no support. It works great for IPSC targets at pistol range and I can shoot all A zone hits very quickly with no problems.

The bullets hit steel with much more force than when fired from a 4" pistol. The barrel was a name brand (CMMG If I remember correctly) and was just under $200 in 2014. The handguard is a MI 15" free float and I use a Geissele S3G trigger. It ended up being an 80% lower build that I had $1800 into when all said and done and while it wasn't as budget as I was hoping, it is everything I wanted as my 5.56 rifle was perfect but I just wanted something cheap to load for and capable of being used on the pistol courses in the PCC class.

My latest mold is an NOE 125 TC which works well for 38+p practice loads for my 357 carry gun and is also my go to boolit for 9mm pistol and test loads in the 9mm AR seemed to work fine. They get sized 356 for 9mm and 358 for revolver use and are powder coated.

I load for a 9mm Hipoint carbine which is very unfussy, shoots everything equally.

I also load for a Handi rifle stub job. IE a 9mm barrel affixed into a Handi Rifle shotgun barrel cut short.
    It keyholes with anything smaller than .358.

125's cast at .358 or .359 shoot great above 3 to 3.5 grains of Red Dot.

I tried a few with max loads of Red Dot but could see no difference in accuracy or even trajectory out to 100. So I mostly tend to save the powder.

That stub job with large cast boolits will put all 5 touching at 100 with a Truglo 2x 2.5 moa Red Dot. Good enough for me.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've loaded ammo using Unique for use in a pistol and kept checking accuracy with both . When the groups looked good and were safe I stopped adding powder .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Loads I have used in a Marlin Camp 9 with a 158 grail Lead Round Nose sized at .356. All were fun to shoot.

Unique 3.35 not chronoed
    2400. 5.50 not chronoed
    Tite Group 3.00 chronoed at 1025fps

I have used the 135 cast bullet from Bayou Bullets in my Colt AR 16inch barrel with 6.6 HS-6 and a CCI magnum pistol primer. It has a velocity of 1390, but seemed too hot, and not accurate.

Banned

Was out last week shooting my 8" AR9 a little bit. I was hitting the steel 12"x12" plate at 200 yds almost every shot. I have a cheap $30 2 MOA red dot on it. I had to give it one plate spacing above the plate to hit it. A couple times I went 31 out of 31 times. I tried the 300 but could not see any of the impacts to give me an idea where to aim.

It was loaded with a MP-135 FP NLGBB. I can not say the amount other than it is above the load data provided by the manufacturer. It is Shooters World Auto Pistol. I talked to SW and they told me I was safe with the amount I was using. That was because of the blow back action. On a locked breech it would not be safe. It is a 9mm Major type of load. +P++ But it does not feel like it. I also am running a 8oz. buffer to help with the added psi.

These are one of the cheapest rifles you can shoot. Especially as 22rf will be $50+ a brick of 500 by next week. If not before.

Banned

you should shoot my cmmg 16 inch ar. it will shoot about anything into 1.5 inch at a 100 yards (with an actual scope on it) . It shoots cast 9mms (same loads my handguns get) as accurately as some of my bolt action deer rifles. Ive got a bunch of those self healing ball targets and if you miss them at a 100 yards with the red dot on it its your fault not the guns.

Boolit Master

Ruger pc9 likes 124 gr TC coated boolits over 6.6 gr HS-6. 3" @ 100 yds.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I am interested in some 9mm carbine loads as well, as I have a Sub-2000 and Hi-Point 995 to feed. I wonder if anyone has tried a powder like H-110 for this? I'm sure there are some Unique loads (that's the other powder I have on hand other than Titegroup, which won't give me the results I want), and I'm interested in hearing what has worked for y'all.

Boolit Grand Master

Almost all 9mm carbines are blow back operated and are made to function with standard 9mm pistol loads including +P with their attendant time/pressure curves. If one does come up with a "rifle load" (presuming that to mean some sort of slower powder, higher pressure and more velocity?) then functioning problems can easily arise and you may beat the gun to death. Note tome boy is using a stronger buffer for the higher psi loads. Suggest you try another bullet and load that are within 9mm handgun psi's.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Good advice again from Larry .

Boolit Master
    Have two loose leaf binders of targets (10 shot groups) shot through a CZ Scorpoin carbine. Factory J-words for barrel break in. Switched to gas checked cast in multiple different weight ranges and designs. Berry's thick plated (115 RN and 124 FP) and finally Casting Machine's 122 FP powder coated.

Slowest powder I have used is AA#7.............fastest was Red Dot. Several in between. Bullseye, AA#2,W-231, Unique, Power Pistol, N-340, and True Blue.

My findings for my carbine:

Forget the heavy for caliber bullets. Stay in nominal bullet weights..... 115 to 130 grains.

Stick with TC, RF or FP bullets. RN bullets have not been as accurate.

Use GC, plated or PC bullets. Same load developed for pistol will be going over 200 fps, from a carbine.

For all around use, hard to beat Bullseye. N-340 would probably be my second choice. AA#7 for high performance loads.

YMMV

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I just took my Wilson out today, it did this at 45 yards with a red dot using Honey badger ammo
    MAttachment 259447

Attachment 259448

My normal load is a Mihec 135 RF PCed sized to .358 over 3.8 grn of bullseye