Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Input on Marlin .444

Boolit Man

Input on Marlin .444

Input on New Marlin 444 lever
    Howdy. Been a Winchester shooter for most of my life and a sucker for straight wall cartridges, I was looking for peoples thoughts on this Marlin rifle. I realize Marlin had some issues in the past but have had some clarity on the newly made ones. It’s brand new probably last year and from a dealer. I just haven’t had much experience with Marlin.
    I will basically be only shooting cast out of it.
    Anybody’s input on this rifle will be greatly appreciated.
    Don’t know why I have had a recent interest in this caliber, as I shoot a multitude of other straight wall cartridges but I know it’s been around for a long time. Just looking for something new to play around with.
    Thanks again and look forward for peoples input

Banned

I'd try to find an older one if I were you, I just can't stand the push button safeties on the new ones, not to mention the general lack of finish and workmanship quality compared to the older ones.

I'm sure it's good, but I could never see what the .444 could do the .45-70 couldn't do better and you can have the same rifle in .45-70.

For what it's worth, Winchester made some '94s in .444.

Boolit Master

Just a point of reference. I have reloading dies for the 444 Marlin, brass and a few 44 mag molds, but I use mine to reload the 410 shotshell. Now with that being said, supply vs demand. 45-70 has a loyal following as does 444 marlin. However, pull up any website and look at the ammo/components for said cartridges. 45-70 19 different rounds to select from on GRAFS.com 3 for 444. 6-45-70 and 3 for 444 Marlin. More people follow the 45-70 than the 444 marlin. My advice is to go with the 45-70. Or 44 Mag if you want the 44 cal. More = cheaper and options.
    However, if you just want a 444 Marlin, that's the cool thing about this hobby, you can do it.

Boolit Master
    The Marlin uses a 1x38" twist that does some what limit the weight of the jacketed bullet. Normally the 240 grain bullet is standard with factory ammo and handloaders do use a 265 grain bullet. I seem to remember Marlin doing a few runs of 336's chambered in the 444 with a 1x20 twist but not quite sure about the twist. My Marlin in 444 had seen some use but not much care. But did shoot well with the factory ammo and destroyed a Bushnell scope I had on it. Started getting lousy groups one day and took the scope off. You could hear ratteling inside the scope tube. Changed out scopes when I got home and after zeroing the new scope groups back to normal. But then I also have a Ruger #1 in 45/70. The only factory ammo that shot well was the Remington 300 grain ammo. Which kinda surprised me after I slugged the barrel. The barrel slugged at .459. Cast bullets did so-so as well as the largest one barely made .459. Will have to get a fatter cast bullet mold. Plus a couple new sizer dies. Mine is an older Ruger made before Ruger started making their own barrels. Prior to that they out sourced the barrels,so who knows whose barrel is on my Ruger?. Frank

FYI - from my sticky in the gunsmithing section here

Barrel twist rates:

444 Marlin - 1 in 12"...Win 94BB Black Shadow
    444 marlin - 1 in 20"....Win 94BB Timber Carbine, post-1998 Marlin (Ballard rifling)
    444 Marlin - 1 in 38"...Marlin 336, 444S (Microgroove rifling); Win 94BB Std carbine

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

FWIW newer 444s from Marlin have a 1-20" twist.

The only thing that would make me hesitate to buy one is that they are limited in Cartridge OverAll Length by the 336 action. But let's face it - there's nothing any of us are likely to ever encounter that can't be flattened by a .444. In that light it may be a more sensible cartridge than the 45-70.

edit: Also, I saw a new 444 in a shop about a week ago. It looked nice. Couldn't find any faults just looking at it.

i had a marlin 444 in the late '70 used it a lot and was not disappointed with performance of the 444 round... it was very fussy about oal and if cast were even a very small bit to long it would jam or pull the bullet if ejected without firing... it moved on and the next large bore marlin is a 1895 45-70 which is much easier to load for with a much larger range of loading options... if you are good with finding a load or two that it likes the 444 will get it done, but it can be frustrating platform for developing lots of different loads in, especially if you want to shoot heavy cast boolits.. can be done for sure, but it is more work than i wanted to do...

Boolit Master
    444 marlin is a lot of fun, much like the 375 win there are a few bullets that work well in it, find the one that works and you only have to sight it in once. I guess there must be differences in how chambers were cut. I can load quite a few different cast bullets in my old 444s, but I'm still planning to get a new mp 432640 gc mold to work on 2000fps+ cast loads in it. 270 grain is just about perfect in my thinking although a lot of people like to push the lee 310 as fast as they can. I'm not much for excessive shoulder punishment. the Hornady 265 flat point load will take out any North American animal in swift fashion
    as far as history as I know of it Remington was the only company that made 240 grain ammo for the 444
    here is one of the best write ups I have seen on the t4
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell444Marlin.htm

Boolit Master
    I have both a 444 Marlin (1980?) and a 2017 Marlin 1895 45-70 and a (1979?) Marlin 1895 (early straight grip, curved buttplate). The 444 has the advantage of many light bullets for pleasure shooting and deer and smaller game. My 444 is a heavy rifle compared to the 45-70's, with the weight in the barrel. It is a MOA rifle +/- with the right bullets. I have shot the 300 gr Speer Unicor with excellent accuracy. I have shot one 6 pt bull with the 265 gr Hornady Flat Point. It did penetrate as well as I thought it should. My early 1895 has been used on many elk with a 300 gr bullet. It is also very accurate as is the 1895 Cowboy. My 1895 Cowboy(2017) is finished at least as good or better than the early (no safety) Marlins, I have the 444, 45-70, 35's, 32's and 30-30's to compare. Recoil with the light 45-70 is unpleasant with 300gr at 2200. The 444 weight helps with recoil and the cast bullet selection is very good. Unless you are elk hunting, the 444 is probably a better choice, both provide excellent accuracy with properly selected cast bullets but the 444 might be more 'fun' for entertainment.

Boolit Buddy
    Brian Pierce did an article on the 444 in hand loader a year or so back. He opined that the 444 was more versatile than the 45-70. Still like my 45-70 though.

Boolit Master
    Since the newer 444's will stabilize a Lee 310 gr cast bullet, I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Pierce. But there's a lot of difference between a .429 bullet and a .458 bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Im curious as to what kind of velocity you gentleman are getting in the 444 with boolits.
    I finally gave up on the micro groove 444 I played with years ago,, as it didnt seem capable of much past 44mag handgun velocity with anything cast.
    Though I know volumes more now about such things,,, then I did at that time.