WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Inertia Bullet Puller?

Boolit Grand Master

Which Inertia Bullet Puller?

After 30 years or so of heavy use I finally broke my Midway bullet puller...I guess you aren’t supposed to beat it on a steel block!

Anyway, I’m going to order a replacement since I’ve got some more mistakes to undo and thought I’d ask whether there were any real and significant differences between the half a dozen or so different models of essentially the same tool from several makers? Anybody have any particular good or bad experiences with any of them that you’d be willing to share?

As always, TIA!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    FrankfortArsenal works good for me. My second one, in fact traded the first one off to help a new caster. I guess they are about all the same.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I'm interested in responses. I recently cracked my RCBS on I bought in 1974.

Boolit Buddy
    I have Frankford arsenal for number of years - works fine for me. Had to open it up a little for 500 mag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don't think it matters which brand you pick. It does matter how you use it. I have been beating mine against a piece of railroad track or the concrete floor for a lot of years without issues. Do not use a firm grip on the handle. Hold it with your thumb and one or two fingers loosely and swing very fast letting it bounce back. This lets it pull bullets better and won't break the puller. Holding with a firm grip tries to drive the head farther after contact when the puller head is trying to rebound.

Several companies sell a plastic one that looks like they all came from the same factory, but in different colors.

If ya go that route where they all look the same- I'd pick the cheapest one.
    My 80's era RCBS was one like that lasted right up until I stepped on the plastic screw on cover piece.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-21-2020 at 11:46 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    use it on a lead block not steel
    rcbs is good dont fall for the old wood handle that has the slide thing
    most you can use a shell holder in in place of the gripper

Boolit Grand Master
    RCBS
    Lifetime warranty.

Many of them are made by quinetics. https://www.quineticscorp.com

My RCBS inertia puller finally wore out after many many years of use (aluminum collet wore out, cracks here and there) , rather than replace with another one, I opted to go with the RCBS collet die using caliber specific collets......never looked back, faster, cleaner (no dumping powder and bullets together, and most of all....easier to use.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Still using my thirty year old Quinetics, Distributed by RCBS, puller.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master
    I broke so many inertia pullers that I quit using them. Yeah, they work for pulling jacketed bullets in most cases, but not well for handgun ammo, and especially heavily crimped revolver ammo. I use a redneck puller that requires a cheap pair of side cutters or lineman pliers and a piece of PVC pipe. The PVC allows you to grab the boolit that would not reach through the top of the press and allow pulling. Most of the time, the boolit is ruined and remelted, but sometimes is reusable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boolit puller.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	258907

Here's the PVC spacer

Name:	Spacer.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	258908

Here's the modified lineman pliers, I used a Dremel tool to grind out the rounded gripping area

Name:	Puller pliers.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	258909
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

My 30 year old midway (frankford) inertia puller broke into about 5 pieces this past fall. The plastic on the handle broke off likely 15 years ago and was replaced by a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it, then split to fit over the handle before being pressed into a piece of pipe. Looking at the new frankford, lyman and rcbs, the Lyman seemed the heaviest and best made so that's what I went with. Already have a collet style puller but the inertia puller is nice to have if you only need to do a few cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    If I broke mine I would get the Quinetics. My shellholders were worn out on my RCBS I replaced them with the Quinetics Uni-Chuck "Shim-Fit" its a much better way then the original RCBS

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    RCBS
    Lifetime warranty.
    This!

I couldn’t find the collet, grandkids were messing with it and lost it. RCBS mailed me one gratis.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    I broke so many inertia pullers that I quit using them. Yeah, they work for pulling jacketed bullets in most cases, but not well for handgun ammo, and especially heavily crimped revolver ammo. I use a redneck puller that requires a cheap pair of side cutters or lineman pliers and a piece of PVC pipe. The PVC allows you to grab the boolit that would not reach through the top of the press and allow pulling. Most of the time, the boolit is ruined and remelted, but sometimes is reusable.

Name:	Boolit puller.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	258907

Here's the PVC spacer

Name:	Spacer.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	258908

Here's the modified lineman pliers, I used a Dremel tool to grind out the rounded gripping area

Name:	Puller pliers.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	258909
    If I were to buy another one it probably would be RCBS because of their customer service. But I prefer a collet puller and if that doesn't work I use the ole Linemans Pliers. If the cartridge is long enough to reach through the top of the press I do it that way. For shorted cartridges I use a piece of PVC as pictured. It don't have to be PVC. It can be a piece of steel pipe or even a steel or PVC pipe coupling if you don't have a piece of pipe laying around to cut up.

If you want to get fancy, FA has a new automatic inertial bullet puller. I for one, will stick with the hammer type!

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/rel...r/1116083.html

Demo starts at 2:05 min into video
    Last edited by pertnear; 03-22-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    The aluminum handle on my 30+ year old Quinetics finally broke after pulling thousands of bullets over the years, so I bought a new RCBS because of their customer service.

Im still using the first one I bought, a blue midway with the aluminum insert. Gotta be 40 years old. A bud gave me half a 5 gal bucket of old 30 cal rifle that had been damaged when we were flooded by Irene. Months later I whacked all those bullets out of the corroded up brass and they didn’t want to cooperate but the puller held up fine. Those 147 gr shot some nice groups. Of course what any manufacturer sells today is not going to be as good as what they sold 40 years ago but if you buy the same brand the collets and cap will still be useful.

Boolit Grand Master
    Update: somewhere along the line my father or I one must have bought a second blue Midway unit as I stumbled across one in the mess at the bench... Dad passed a couple of years ago and I’m still finding little surprises like this from time to time. We used to sit on a chair and pound them out on an upended, slightly extra long piece of hard firewood... this gave good results and didn’t seem to harm anything involved. BTW, does anyone remember a transparent green unit from about 30-40 years ago? We started with one of those and during the gorilla phase of our learning curve that aluminum shank of the handle took on a serious bend!

Thanks to all who responded. I was/am leaning toward the Lyman for its more ergonomic handle, but since I have time to be saving my shekels now, that bench mounted thing may be in my future. It’s not often I have to pull more than a couple of rounds, but right now for instance I have a box of 20 rounds of 327 Fed Mag I loaded WAAAYY too hot,so I’ll have to set aside time to pull all of them. I remember another time we “inherited” over 200 rounds of somebody’s mistakes. Since they were half jacketed bullets in 357 brass, Dad took in on himself to pull all of them and save the components. He was retired even back then, so it kept him out of Mom’s way for a while.

Thanks again friends, I knew I could count on you for good suggestions.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast