Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Alloy hardness changing over time.

Alloy hardness changing over time.

Hey all,
    What is the general consensus on cast bullets getting harder or softer over a period of time.
    I usually knock out about 100 bullets at a time per mold, cast from ingots that I have made previosly. Those ingots are made up of Lead / Tin which I test with a Lee hardness tester and could be 6 months old. Every once in a while I notice the bullets seem to be harder, ( I breach seat with a hand push seater) and when I re test them, they are actually harder. Not much, (30:1 goes to 25:1) but enough to make the seating difficult even with Tapered and Base band designs. Why is it so. When I test the ingots during manufacture, obviously the alloy is new and still warm, does it change over the next 24 hrs, 48 hrs, 2 weeks ??.
    I buy used Plumbers flashing and lead pipe from the Recyclers which tests very very close to pure, as far as the Lee Tester is concerned.
    I buy old Pewter mugs etc for my tin. Do either of these ingrediants have the ability to change over time ? If they do, then I should have had this problem every time I've cast, for 20 years, because I have never bought new pure lead or tin. I don't use Range lead, linotype or wheel wieghts. I don't use a themometer. Any thoughts ??

Boolit Master
    Yes sir, it will all harden over time. I've never been very scientific about it but I'm sure someone else will chime in with more detail. Cast a lot more than you need and water quench will harden some too.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master
    Pure lead and tin will not age harden over time. The antimony in the lead plumbing pipe and fittings does slowly age harden and may expand a bit as it ages. Refer to the LASC site to become better informed on how the metals behave.

Boolit Master

I was testing the hardness of ingots (CWW) before I melted in Lee pot. Found out quick that casting new bullets basically started the hardening process over again. My ingots run usually 12 bhn a few weeks after pouring then 6 months + reach 17 bhn . I powder coat everything so I just watch not to get anything too hard. Like Dusty said, refer to LASC website for accurate info (I find myself going back there from time to time!)
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy
    Your Pewter mugs are the source of the Antimony in your alloy. That stuff will harden lead . Check the blend tables. uncle mike