Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old top-break, black powder .32 Long

Boolit Master

I dug through my old stuff, and found a handful of ancient U.M.C. 32 S&W rounds. They had all had their primers struck (misfires) and were just old, tarnished junk. I pulled them apart and found .310" 88gr round nose bullets, and about 7gr of black powder in balloon head cases. I had to chisel the powder out. A lot of the granules have been ground into actual powder by the time I got it out. Maybe when I get time I'll re-lube the bullets and load the cases back up with new black powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9025[1].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	259191

Also, I found the reference to a .32 H&R Long: https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/thr...evolver.77627/

There are photos a revolver almost identical to mine. Mine is an H&R Automatic Ejector Second Model 1st Variation, made around 1890. He says: "as stated below the caliber is 32 S&W. this revolver was made before the 32 S&W Long was introduced. it could chamber and handled what was called the 32 H&R Long cartridge (an obselete cartridge that was longer and more powerful than the 32 S&W)"

That's a little confusing to me; which is it, short or long? Made for one but will "handle" the other? Oh, well, doesn't really matter. I'm over it now. I'll consider it a .32 S&W, load a few short cases with black powder, just like dtknowles suggested in post #2, and call it good.

Boolit Master

I'll bet that powder is still good to use. Can you put fresh primers in the cases? If so, them clean and relube the bullets and put the old powder back in and give them a try. If not, I'm pretty sure I have some new 32S&W brass. I can send you a few to try out if you'd like.

Boolit Master

I'm sure the powder is probably fine chemically, but my concern is that it's now ground down into fine powder. I've heard people talk about fine "flash powder" and how you should never use it in firearms. I'd be very hesitant to use this. I suppose I could use it for priming powder in my flintlock.

Thanks for the offer on the brass, but I should be OK with what little I have. I'll probably just shoot a few rounds through it and then make a wall-hanger out of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12