Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data PBcastco
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 ga. to 45 AR Build

Boolit Master
    First off not trying to start an argument here. If that were the goal the prior comment would not have been so subtle. You certainly did not offend me or cause disrespect to anyone that I know of.

Now to the point: this forum has for many years been a resource primarily for cast boolits and as well for all sorts of other things mostly shooting related. The reason it is a resource is because all sorts of information from how to properly fit a cast boolit to a throat to perhaps making venison jerky is shared freely. There are literally thousands of threads containing tricks, tips, hacks, etc.

Note the sub-forum title: Projects that you have made, have done, or are doing. The things that you have poured your heart into and that may help or be of interest to others.

It has been acknowledged that you are a craftsman and as such you are entitled to keep trade secrets. I must admit I keep trade secrets in connection with my business however when on this site comments, advice, etc are contributed freely. Now I suppose if this thread existed within the vendor/sponsor section of the forum there might be some justification for it as a teaser to entice forum members to do business with you. Aside from that what is its' purpose? All the other threads in this sub forum either detail a "special project" along with an offer to help replicate or they are an appeal for help to which help is freely offered (if anyone has the needed knowledge).

So it is not a matter of having done something terrible. It may be as simple as such a thread not belonging. Of course you are free to disagree respectfully as a free interchange of ideas and thoughts is often healthful.

Boolit Master
    I like it. You do some great work there. You are a real craftsman for sure.
    I think that the long barrel will act like a noise suppressor to some extent. I remember some of the shotgun barrel inserts for different calibers doing that before. So it may be quite pleasant to shoot, so much so you may not need to wear ear muffs or ear plugs.

This is kinda what I was referring to when I mentioned how it would sound. When I fire my .45 schofield loads in my 1873 uberti short bbl carbine chambered in .45lc the report is definitely odd. Kind of a weird thunk sound. I just assumed it’s the short bbl and short case in a long chamber. So I am curious how your rifle will sound after the wave and bullet goes through the oversized 12 ga bbl. As I said, neat build and a great website.

I would be so bold as to suggest it is not suppressed unless you install baffles and an end cap. More like a counter bored crown.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would be so bold as to suggest it is not suppressed unless you install baffles and an end cap. More like a counter bored crown.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Really nice looking project by the way. Good job ASSASSIN!

Boolit Grand Master

I've given some thought to a switch caliber barrel stub project myself. Creating an insert like you did is certainly one way to do it. What I had in mind was to make a barrel with a threaded end, just like a Savage barrel. Thread the stub for that thread, and screw in the barrel until it touches the breech face, and secure the barrel with a barrel nut, just like Savage does. With rimmed cartridges, you would not need headspace gauges, just thread in until the barrel touches the breech face. The very first one I would do is a 327 federal, ideally with a 1:12" twist with a .311" or .312" groove is such a thing exists. If you did a .308" groove, I would do a 1:10 twist. You could shoot standard 30 caliber bullets. It would be a great suppressor gun shooting 180+ gr bullets sub sonic.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you roverboy!

Boolit Master
    I don't think you need to register it. They sold unknown numbers of different caliber barrel inserts for shotguns for ages already. Now if you added in baffles it is a different story. But it is basically just a flash hider muzzle brake.

Chiappa is/was selling different caliber adapters for their shotguns for years. Eight different calibers shown here.
    https://www.chiappafirearms.com/product.php?id=448

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prodotti_immagini_immagine_1130.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	259045
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-24-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Bub
    I'm no lawyer, but hey, why not throw out an opinion as a random internet guy.

What you've got is a long barreled gun, in an uncommon caliber for a long barrel. Check out the noise difference between a 4" 22LR, a 16" 22LR, and a 24" 22LR. The old 30" 22LR barrels weren't considered suppressors. I see no reason this barrel would be considered suppressed, or need to be registered as a suppressor. No baffles, no intention to quiet the report further than what the barrel/cartridge combination itself does.

The argument could be taken to an extreme; any firearm barrel with a report quieter than the loudest possible report for that caliber is "suppressed" and will now require a tax stamp. Not to give them ideas.

Boolit Bub
    Post 25, the bullet on the left, is that an old Lyman/Ideal mold? 454485?

Boolit Bub
    Your work looks great. I'd lurked around the site long enough to expect as much. Thanks for the reply on the bullet. I've been talking with a few people about trying heavy bullets in 45 ACP, (pretty similar case capacity to 45AR, I believe?) but didn't expect it to be a 300-grainer.

Boolit Bub
    I don't have one of each case to measure. I've seen drawings where they're identical except for the rim, and been mildly chastised for saying I was pretty sure they were the same capacity by somebody who assured me they were not. I'm still pretty sure..

I'd be interested in learning more about the 300-grain pill in either cartridge. Wouldn't have expected 1,100 fps, but this is a pretty sturdy platform and a longer barrel than most .45's get.

Sheer curiosity; is it a load worked up with a slower powder? Just stuffed with as much powder as can be packed in?

Boolit Bub
    I've never found one single 45AR picking up brass at the range.. if I had I'd have ended up with a new-to-me revolver. Best you hang on to them, it'll save me the funds! I kid, a lot, and should've thrown a in there about the stuffed caseful. Never comes through in text as planned. Really appreciate you sharing the projects, they're inspiring.

Boolit Master
    That is some really cool things you did and are doing there. I actually like it. You are having a lot of fun there trying out different things to see what happens.

Bring it over- I have a box of 1960’s .45 Auto Rim cartridges that need to be shot!

Boolit Buddy
    The fun went away when the doctors found a cancer spot on my wife's spine, L-3, so until she is taken care of first and gets healed from it, nothing else matters!

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    The fun went away when the doctors found a cancer spot on my wife's spine, L-3, so until she is taken care of first and gets healed from it, nothing else matters!
    Yeah, you gotta take care of the ones you love first. Prayers for her.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry to hear it. Hope you're able to get the care she needs ASAP.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I have always believed that since cancer is not from God, it does not belong in the human body, and if a man cannot pray his wife through cancer, then he is not much of a man!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast