Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12 ga. to 45 AR Build

Cast Boolits Owner

Sorry to hear of your wife’s news. Please take care and let us know if there is anything we can do.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Also sorry to hear of your wife’s illness. Your family always comes first. Stay strong.

Boolit Buddy
    Robert and Baltimoreed - thank you, I appreciate it!

Next week will be a LOT of blood tests, bone marrow testing, bone density testing, full body scans/imaging, therapist, oncologists, and a lot more stuff that I cannot even think of right now!

Boolit Buddy
    To God Be The Glory!

No cancer!

The marble size tumor on my wife's spine is benign and is NOT cancer! There is a light fracture on the opposite side of the tumor, but no one seems to know what either is caused from.

The fracture will heal and the tumor, at least for now, will be nothing more than a marble size "spot" that will show up on x-rays.

For you guys that were good enough to offer prayers for my wife - Thank You!

Time to get back in the shop and go to work.

It just needs to warm up for a couple of weeks now so we can go CARP fishing!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    To God Be The Glory!

No cancer!

The marble size tumor on my wife's spine is benign and is NOT cancer! There is a light fracture on the opposite side of the tumor, but no one seems to know what either is caused from.

The fracture will heal and the tumor, at least for now, will be nothing more than a marble size "spot" that will show up on x-rays.

For you guys that were good enough to offer prayers for my wife - Thank You!

Time to get back in the shop and go to work.

It just needs to warm up for a couple of weeks now so we can go CARP fishing!
    God is good!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    God is good!
    All the time!

Boolit Master

AMEN, and Amen !!
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I just couldn't leave well enough alone!

Shotgun barrel was 31 1/2" in length and is now 22" long with the permanently installed 19 1/2" 45 AR / .45 Auto rifle barrel. Now, it handles more like a rifle than a shotgun!

So far, I have tested the following bullets at 50 yards -

Hornady 230 gr. XTP

Speer 230 gr. Gold Dot

Speer 260 gr. Mag-JHP

Hornady 250 gr. XTP

Hornady 225 gr. XTP

ALL BULLETS will keep bullet holes touching with the same exact load, with the only change made being that of the bullet used!
    Last edited by ASSASSIN; 05-11-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Glad your wife is good. Looks like you got your .45 project shooting good .
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    As far as the NOISE level goes, an ATF Officer shot this gun "5" times with factory Gold Dot and Hydra-Shok ammo in 45 Auto, and was quoted as saying - this long barreled gun is quite loud considering the cartridge it is chambered for. This gun would be suitable for hunting and is legal in all aspects - end quote! Nuff said!

The bullet on the far left is a 300 gr. .458 caliber rifle bullet that has been sized down to .452 diameter.
    I reckon I was raised under a tub, but I would never ever have thought of it being considered suppressed. Now that is a bright and shiny new idea to me.

One of the many things I like about this site, is the engineering done by some on here. I'm just an Arkansas shade tree mechanic with a few files, but some of y'all really raise the bar. Interesting as all get out. My compliments to you Assassin!
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you roverboy, I appreciate it!

This .45 will be this year's meat getter for deer, and after completing my bullet expansion tests, it looks like the clear winner is Speer's 250 gr. Deep Curl @ 1,300 fps.. Bullets were shot in Ordnance Grade Ballistic Jell @ 30, 60, 90, 120 and 150 yards, and ALL bullet expanded to well over 1/2" in diameter.

And considering how much my wife likes shooting this gun, I'm trying to find another shotgun so I can build me one! My wife comes first, so I really don't mind. Another plus for the .45 is that it doesn't echo for miles around like what is does when you cut loose with a high powered rife and all your neighbors are throwing a fit about it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know how I missed this thread before.

First, glad to hear the health concerns were put to bed...

Next, you did a really nice job on the gun. I like single shot rifles but break opens not so much.

Interesting you achieved good accuracy with a "cheap" platform. I was set to purchase a baby RB in .357 until I read the reports of mediocre accuracy.

Looking forward to seeing your second build
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you dverna!

I believe the good, now better than good accuracy comes from several things.

A quality barrel liner.

A properly cut chamber.

A completely stress free insert being permanently installed into the shotgun barrel.

If this was a barrel stub, the forend would have to have been pillar and glass bedded, with absolutely no points of stress anywhere around the forend/barrel contact.

By using a shotgun barrel, there was no need to do the pillar and glass bedding, because when the barrel insert was installed inside the shotgun barrel, there were NO contact points between the barrel liner and the shotgun barrels bore - meaning it was completely stress free. This, I believe, is where the greatest accuracy potential of this gun comes from.

Shooting Speer's 250 gr. Deep Curl, which is now my only bullet of choice in this gun, every 3-shot group fired @ 100 yards can be covered with a quarter, with absolutely none of the bullet holes showing around the outside edge of the quarter!

The next build? I was thinking 327 Federal, but with already having all of the bullets, brass and reloading dies for a 38 special, I believe that will be the next cartridge I chamber for. Plus, it will also be one of my wife's birthday presents so she can go deer hunting with me this year, and have a relatively QUIET gun that won't rattle the windows in our neighbors houses, and have to worry about everyone getting so upset, like what they do when a high powered rifle goes off!

Hey, Assassin,
    You've implemented my dream project miraculously. I am still sitting on a SxS 12ga Belgian damascus gun which I am contemplating to convert to 45 LC. Just waiting for the right donor bbl to turn up.
    I am very curious about the accuracy your project is capable of. Keep up good work!

Boolit Bub
    This is awesome work Assassin, glad I found the thread. That is a thing of beauty.

Boolit Buddy
    IHuntDragons - Thank You for the compliments, I appreciate it!

Tokarev - I know the "J" words bullets are taboo over here, and I apologize to those who are offended!

As stated in another post here, I tested these bullets specifically -

Hornady 230 gr. XTP

Speer 230 gr. Gold Dot

Speer 260 gr. Mag-JHP

Hornady 250 gr. XTP

Hornady 225 gr. XTP

At 50 yards, ALL bullets will will keep bullet holes touching at 50 yards when tested from the bench. But, when stretching the distance out to 75, 100, 125 and 150 yards, the Speer 250 gr. Deep Curl was the clean winner, and with a muzzle velocity of 1,300 fps., it still expands into a perfect mushroom shape with with recovered bullet weights averaging 245 to 248 grains, with expanded bullets @ 75 yards being dime size, and those at my self imposed maximum shooting distance of 150 yards, all being over 1/2" in size.

Though a heavy gun, I have turned more than a handful of the Baikal side by side shotguns into double barrel .45 rifles, and while no where near as "pretty" as a $50,000 double gun, they are a lot of fun to shoot and carry, and VERY accurate! And for needing a FAST second shot, you can pull off 2 shots just as fast as you can possibly pull the trigger!

And my reason for using the Baikal double barrel shotgun, is because they also made a few of these guns in 30-06, and since those extractors were available at the time, I didn't have to take the time to machine them from scratch. I just did an extractor swap and cut, and other than a little polishing, it took less than 5 minutes to have a properly fitted extractor!

These double guns in .45 Auto Rim and 45 Super made for a perfect little double rifle for hog hunting! Small bark, but big bite, these guns in .45 Auto should have been for sale on the open market, as they make for one of the best close range hunting guns there is. You could sit in a hunting blind and shoot hogs all day, and as relatively quiet as the .45 is from a rifle, with the right loads, you could shoot hog after hog without scaring off everything everything else around you, because there is no resounding echo for miles around, like what there is with some of the high powered rifles that are in use today.
    Last edited by ASSASSIN; 06-22-2020 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Hi ASSASIN.First.Great news on your wifes health.Your rifle build is just superb.Thank you for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Leo, I appreciate it!

It's 96 degrees outside right now, and I'm already thinking about this coming deer season. My wife is already thinking about the buck she has seen on our trail cameras for the past 3 years, and I'm thinking about all the does we have running around. Should be good season this year for sure!

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you should have an easy time of filling your freezer this year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123