WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62X39 Plinker load

Boolit Mold

7.62X39 Plinker load

Hi guys, I'm brand new to this forum and am looking forward to utilizing all the brain power here.

I reload for 32 H&R mag with a 115gr .313 cast bullet. Nothing fancy just a plain semi-wadcutter pistol load.

I also have a CZ 527 carbine 7.62X39 with a .310 bore and an Encore barrel in the same caliber with a .308 bore.

Does anyone have any experience using these bullets with say.......8 grains of Unique for a plinker load?

I have a sizer in .309 that should work with the Encore barrel. Do you think I could get away with using the .313 bullet in the CZ unsized? I coat everything in Allox.

Boolit Master
    I remember a post or even two about using the Lyman 31008 in the CZ 527, which would be right up your alley. I wish you better luck with the search function than I have had!
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master

In my Ruger 77 7.62x39, I have used the Lyman 311008 over 6 grs od Red Dot for an average velocity of 1366 fps and groups of 1.5 inches for 5 shots @ 100yds. I use Winchester or Fed cases with LP primers. With identical loads in Rem cases and small rifle or pistol primers, the groups are always much larger. Also try Hodgdon Clays if you have it.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, the search function is a bit touchy, thanks guys.

My CZ carbine doesn't seem to know the difference between .311, .312 and .313.

I've tried several different pistol boolits ranging from 95 gr. RN intended for 30 Mauser up to 115 gr. RF from NOE's 32 Mag mold. Typical 50 yd. groups run from 1.5 to 2.5 in.

I'm not impressed with Unique in these loads, getting much better results with 10 to 12 gr. of Alliant 2400 or 11 to 13 gr. of SR 4759.

I was pleasantly surprised by the little 30 Mauser boolit. It does just as well as the 115 NOE at 1200-1400 fps.

I have very little experience with alox so can't advise you on that.

Good luck
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks,
    I'll try the 2400. One of my favorite powders. The Alox works great. Cured the leading problem with hot 357 loads.

I have not tried boolits in my cz yet, but I did try trail boss for a plinker load. It seemed ok, with j-bullets.

Boolit Master
    14 grains of 2400 with a 160 grain cast works great! With a 115gr, I'd use 16 grains or so of 2400. Great plinking boolit, the 115 grainer, BTW.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I've not tried light boollits, or those without GC in my CZ-527, but it LOVES the Lee C309-150-F. Mine does show preference to sized .313" vs .312" despite the boolit as-cast .312".

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=cz-527

Boolit Grand Master

Try 2.8 - 3.5 gr Bullseye.....it works for me in my Mini MKX 7.62x39. That was with the Lee TL314-90-SWC but the 311008 or commercial 115 gr SWCs do almost as well. I use a tudge more Bullseye under the heavier bullet so try 2.8 - 3.5 with yours.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-17-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Awesome group for them pipsqueak loads, Larry!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm using 3.0 gr of Green Dot behind a 95 gr 313445 in my Mini-Mauser, but my groups are about three times as big as Larry's. I really think it is the boolit, not the load; because every gun I have tried that particular boolit in has given largish groups with it.

Next time my brass is empty I will give my 314-120 (think 311008) a try. If it does better, the 313445 will be for sale.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I have to correct a mistake on the load data on the target; the R-P cases take SR primers so the primer is a WSP not a WLP. I use WLPs in my cases that take the WLR primers with cast loads. With sevice level J or cast bullet loads I use WSRs in the R-P cases and WLRs in the others (WIN, PMC and IMI).

My bad

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Imr SR4759,Traill Boss, 170gr RN cast(.310") shoots 1.25-1.5" at 100 in my Ruger Hawkeye.

I have used Red Dot & a 208gr. A-Max as well.
    I got a .75" group with that combo.

Really like the caliber!

Boolit Mold
    Lots of things to try.....thanks guys.

Boolit Mold
    Hello what COL for the Lyman 31008 or 311008. Thanks Tony

I have just purchased one of the Lee TL314-90-SWC molds, however at present I have no fast powders such as bullseye or red dot to use as listed above.
    I have a lot of Unique I would like to put to good use before I can get some Bullseye. I have used Unique with the Lee 155gn up to 9gns ok, what would you suggest as a starting load behind this little 90grainer?

Many Thanks

Boolit Master
    The plinking load for my 527 is Lyman 311359 and 7 grains of Hercules Unique. Too fun!!!

JDL

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sh00ter787 View Post
    I have just purchased one of the Lee TL314-90-SWC molds, however at present I have no fast powders such as bullseye or red dot to use as listed above.
    I have a lot of Unique I would like to put to good use before I can get some Bullseye. I have used Unique with the Lee 155gn up to 9gns ok, what would you suggest as a starting load behind this little 90grainer?

Many Thanks
    The problem I found with Unique and the lighter weight 90 gr SWC is by the time you get the load to where the Unique is burning efficiently the velocity is way to high for what i consider decent accuracy. Unique works great with heavier bullets, especially if GC'd like JDL's load. It just doesn't work well with the lighter PB'd bullets. A pund of Bullseye will give you 2,000+ loads so the cost is literally a penny or so per shot for the powder

Larry Gibson

Thank you Larry, like I say the plan is to get some Bullseye. I've loaded a handful just so these little boolits can make their way down range.
    Will get Bullseye before next outing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast