Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 1st Time Powder coating

Boolit Mold

1st Time Powder coating

Hi Guy's this is my 1st time on the Forum and my 1st time at powder coating. Just let me say that I bought the wrong texture for the coating (hot rod black) which is a Matt finish not gloss . I would like to know if I will be alright to try these out . I have sized and hammer tested them and they seem ok to me? Resized and all resized surfaces are smooth ,and that's what basically will be in contact with the bore. Will not run them hot . Using 9mm @ under 1000 .44 special 800 and 44mag just over 1000 just for testing . Any suggestions/help would be gratefully appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet 1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	260423

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Should be fine. Fire away! I like to recover a few and make sure the coating is bonded well before mass production.

Nice job, enjoy the clean dies and a sticky free bench.

Boolit Buddy
    Those look great. welcome to the forum. uncle mike

Cast Boolits Owner

Welcome to the forum!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the club. Load them up and shoot them.

If you can recover a few it’s always good to look them over. More importantly is to be able to then meltdown and make more.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy

Those will shoot fine. Welcome to the forum

Looks good, the matte finish will not change anything, its not abrasive nor will it harm the barrel. HF black looks the same and shoots fine but is very difficult to get a good coat with a simple tumble, likes to b sprayed.

Did you tumble coat them?

Boolit Master

Agreed looks fine!

I made that mistake or read as wrong a couple
    Times. But as I have a bunch of colors and they ain’t really costly. All well. I use them.

Heck one is a matte blue that covers and coats great!! Just ain’t glossy!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Shoot them and continue on . see how they look after firing and what your barrel looks like

Boolit Mold
    Unfortunately getting to the range here in Australia a problem as the Government have closed all shooting on ranges under a new COVID-19 law ???? not to mention the sale of ammo and guns. But hopefully restrictions will be lifted soon. So I will be out as soon as they are and fire a few off and see the result and post some pictures.

Boolit Mold
    Yes I just put in a container and gave them a shake for 30 seconds.

Boolit Mold
    I have just ordered some with gloss finish from Prismatic Powders. Everything is imported here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by just a shooter View Post
    Unfortunately getting to the range here in Australia a problem as the Government have closed all shooting on ranges under a new COVID-19 law ???? not to mention the sale of ammo and guns. But hopefully restrictions will be lifted soon. So I will be out as soon as they are and fire a few off and see the result and post some pictures.
    Welcome to cast boolits and nice job on the coating. I agree with the others' advice to load them and shoot them.

What a difference a bit of geography makes. Our gun shops are open in my state because they are deemed an "essential service" (as are liquor stores, but that's another story!). My private outdoor range is very much open. Large range, so social distancing happens naturally. Alternatively, I could just drive a few minute out of town to the desert to shoot.

Be well, and enjoy the new coating technique!
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Banned
    IF you shoot a lot you might want to look into HiTek coating, It's made there. HiTek is for larger batches of bullets. most of the commercial coaters use it.

several downunders here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oating/page670

PS hammer your test bullets to where they have sharp corners, it will give you more accurate results.

Boolit Mold
    I have searched the web looking for HiTek coating Australia and nothing shows up here only U.S.A. website? And says can not ship to Australia? Web address comes up as U.S.A.

Banned
    Looks like you got them to cover pretty good. That's the main thing. Matte finish is fine for shooting.
    Welcome to CastBoolits.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Look great!

If you want smooth boolits my goto powder for tumbling is smokes clear. It goes on smooth as glass with little effort. $22 for pound and some Air soft bbs last time I bought. The only bad part is when I tumble clear I can see where my bullets get all dinged up but the clear fills all the dings and dents I made turning the tumbling process and smooths it out. I like the smooth clear coat for my long range rifle shooting boolits, whether it makes a difference or not who knows? I’ll mix colors with left over powders and get uneven looking build up and still shot shot under MOA with my 77/44. It’s all in my OCD mind I’m sure.

I made these the other day for my 35 by mixing purple, black, and bounced in a little of smokes blue. You can see the texture like yours and I’m sure both of our boolits will shoot very accurately.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-18-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Banned

Welcome to the addiction! Good looking pills! I wish I had some pics of my first PC attempt, they were all patchy, not a solid looking coating. I was able to quickly get the hang of powder coating. I am saving up some money to pick up some of smoke's powders. Load and shoot, wash, rinse, repeat.

Boolit Master
    Not a hard and fast rule, but in my experience a high gloss PC leaves a smoother surface. I have and use quite a few of Smoke's colors and they all work great. Due to someone here mentioning Prismatic Powders I went to their website. WOW! I have 4 colors of their's and some of the high gloss clear. Every color I've purchased has been a high gloss. Not to take away any of Smoke's business, but take a look at Prismatic Powders website. I should have known more about them as I've been Cerakoting for years and it's the same company. I already had an account, but that had slipped under my radar as I was just buying Cerakote.

Will they shoot any better than a slightly textured surface? Doubt it highly. Even if my bullets may have a slight texture to the surface, when they get run through the Lee die the bearing surface is smooth as glass from the die.

I always wonder about the bullets surface in external ballistics (specifically the texture to a bullets surface after PC). Is the surface of a bullet like a golf ball or the paint surface of a fighter aircraft? If you've never rubbed your hand on the paint of say, an F-15, it isn't smooth (shark skin is a good analogy). Anyway, I'm getting a headache thinking again......