RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger American Rimfire

Boolit Master

Ruger American Rimfire

In November I bought a Ruger American Rimfire rifle (22 LR) and immediately had problems with it. When trying to move ammo from the magazine that came with the rifle the bolt would not flow to the closed position. From the rear position I could get the bolt about half way toward the chamber and encounter resistance. Routine movement of the bolt resulted in a stoppage. A fast push on the bolt usually got the cartridge into or almost into the chamber. All ammo showed that the projectile had been "shaved" on the nose where it met the chamber at the 6:00 position. I tried several other Ruger factory issue mags that I already had - no help. I tried both RN and FN ammo. The RN ammo might (or not) enter the chamber, the FN were routinely stopped and had to be manually removed.

I called Ruger customer service and explained all the above to them. They sent me a call tag and the rifle is headed their way. I have spoken with other owners of Ruger American Rimfire rifles and none of them have had or heard of this before. If anyone reading this post has ever heard of this please respond. Maybe I am the unfortunate owner of a "built on Monday" rifle. Thanks for your input.

Boolit Buddy
    Hopefully its just a monday rifle because I recently talked dad into one as he doesn't enjoy shooting rifles that push him around anymore and that is one fun 22 to shoot! I wasn't expecting much for a $190 gun but I was proven wrong. Hope yours comes back and is a sweet shooter.

Boolit Bub
    My wife, Brenda purchased a Ruger American Jr. Rimfire. Mounted a suppressor. Shoots one hole groups at 50 yards. Feeds well, never a problem. Loves CCI Standard Speed, hates CCI Subsonic. So, being easily under one minute of Squirrel, guess what is going to the squirrel woods come this spring squirrel season.

This rifle is retiring the wedding gift she received 47 years ago, A Remington 541S, a beautiful rifle that she treasures, but it is too pretty to keep carrying it in the squirrel woods.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Ruger will take care of you and fix or replace it. My 22 WMR shoots .3” 100 yard groups. Love the thing. When I got mine I had some light primer strikes. I removed the bolt assembly and found I packed with a black lithium grease looking substance. It had a hung but of metal floating around in it. I cleaned the parts and found the bolt assembly inners all extremely ruff cut. To the point you wouldn’t believe it. I stoned and polished them all and reassembled with some slip 2000 synthetic line I had laying around. The only issue I had has with faulty Winchester 22 WMR ammo after that. All the other a no that wouldn’t fire was 100 % reliable. Ruger sent replacement internal bolt parts but I didn’t feel like taking it apart again. The only thing I have to do now is clean the 22 WMR chamber every box of ammo through it or cases will stick. It gets dirty quick.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-23-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ruger will get it straightened out. I bought mine for $130.00 with lots of surface rust and scratches on the stock like it was somebody's 4 wheeler gun. Shoots like a champ, especially with a Williams FP-GR receiver sight. The chamber on mine does feel more snug than my auto and lever .22's, which is likely by design.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I polished my chamber with a cotton bore mop and some mothers chrome polish. I put a rod in my cordless drill and spun it till it turned black from oxidation and then cleaned it with gun Oil afterwords to get ant residue out. I do this every once in a while with the 22 wmr American from time to time when I start to get stuck casings after about 50 or so firings.i believe it’s a Pretty tight chamber. Probably why it’s so accurate.

Boolit Master
    Happy days! I sent the rifle to Ruger and they lived up to their "5-7" day return projection. Now this rifle moves cartridges smoothly from the magazine into the chamber. What a great feeling that the manufacturer can take in and turn around a repair request IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES with many companies laying off workers. The very few times I have reached out to Ruger's customer service have been vary satisfying but this request tops them all.

Boolit Buddy
    Purchased a used Ruger SR22 pistol recently, grandson was shooting it and the slide locked up at the rear and would not go into battery. Called Ruger answered a few questions about the problem, told them I had purchased the pistol used. Ruger sent me a pre-paid Fed-Ex mailing label, and off it went. Three days later ,got confirmation they had it, two days later it had been assigned to a technician. Three weeks went by and got an email, pistol was not repairable, but as a gesture of good will ,Ruger was going to replace it free of charge, and pay shipping to my FFL.
    Now how can you beat that kind customer support? Buy a used gun that was originally purchased new in 2014, and it malfunctions six years later and they replace it with new at no charge. Ruger is top shelf.