MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Burnside Carbine Sighting

Boolit Master

Burnside Carbine Sighting

My friend and gunsmith had been working on this beauty for a while, getting it back to working order. Not sure what happened to the pic I took of the gun as a whole, I only have these snaps for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    That is a fine looking Burnside !
    Not sure who you bought the "Brass Cases" from but the white plastic ones work just as well if you decide to go hunting. Loose that brass and that hurts ! Our "well used with lots of character" Burnside shoots 1-40 round ball real good. Had a RB mold from some Muzzleloader which cast a groove (close) diameter RB. About caliber .56. Our carbine is on the list to reduce the corn cruncher population.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Burnside Carbine Sighting

Not mine! I wish. I will try to get a shot of the entire rifle to post, not sure if my friend still has it or not. Am I crazy to think the Ruger Model 1 owes something to the Burnside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good afternoon
    That is a fine looking Burnside !
    Not sure who you bought the "Brass Cases" from but the white plastic ones work just as well if you decide to go hunting. Loose that brass and that hurts ! Our "well used with lots of character" Burnside shoots 1-40 round ball real good. Had a RB mold from some Muzzleloader which cast a groove (close) diameter RB. About caliber .56. Our carbine is on the list to reduce the corn cruncher population.
    Do you use some kind of grease cookie or dip lube the ball?

Boolit Master
    Those boolits look like what I get from my Rapine mold but mine are very out of round. Mine came with initials carved in the stock and an empty money belt plus history of owner.

In Remembrance
    I bought a couple of the brass cases when I had my Burnside. I got them from Dixie Gun Works. Probably Lodgewood has them as well.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy VARSITY
    I "Slather" some Crisco on the ball end before losing the breach. Have never needed a "quick" follow up shot but if I ever did I would drop the "cartridge" in and forget the dobber of Crisco. I doubt it will matter as with the first shot with Crisco there is a nice lube star out at the end of the short barrel.

Lodgewood is who also sells the "SYNTHETIC" ones. I am thinking they were 75 cents each. We bought ten of those. I think we have 5 brass.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting a Burnside since, well, for a long time. I started out with the ring from Dixie and loose powder and ball. Then to paper powder cartridges and ball. Now, I have 40 or 50 of the brass cases and use either ball or bullet. I find the round ball more accurate and more than enough for deer. If I ever get to hunt hogs again I would like to take it along.

Never tried the plastic case. Is capacity about the same as brass?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

I owned a Burnside 35 years ago, but its long gone now. But I still have my loading log from 1985 which has target tracings. Back then, with much younger eyes it would shoot just over 2" at 50 yards. This was with brass cases, 40gr of Goex 2F and a bullet from a Burnside Dixie scissor mold. This image from my log is a bit faded and hard to see. But it shows 5 shots in a nice group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200327_130816_copy_907x1133.jpg  

Boolseye

What are the dimensions of the bullets you have there? Store bought or done from a mold? Thanks

Snider1875

Boolit Master
    I don't own or have access to the gun or the components...Just sharing the sighting at a local gunsmith's shop.
    I thought it was a pretty interesting rare bird.