Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 into 30-06

270 into 30-06

Can it be done with cream of wheat and glue gun, or will the neck blow?

It might work, but I have to ask one question, Why? 30-06 is about the easiest brass to find. No need to form 270 into -06.
    If you have a lot of 270 and no -06 then find someone to swap with.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 03-20-2020 at 03:20 PM.

It should work.
    However; you might have issues with length and neck thickness.
    As cheap and easy to get as .30-06 brass is, I wouldn't mess with it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I don't think a glue gun has enough power to expand a case like that. I would try a primer, about 10 or 12 grains of Unique, fill to neck with cream of wheat, a wad of Kleenix paper and shoot it.

Boolit Master
    I make 30-03 brass from 270 as explained above with COW and tissue. I have to say it's easier than anything else I fire form as far as brass goes. Remember that the OAL will be long, so trimming will be required afterwards.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have necked up 270 brass just by running it through my 30-06 sizing die with no problems at all.... Then it gets ran into my 35 Whelen die with zero issues.

Just put some lube on the case and size them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Tokarev, I just noticed that you may reside in Canada. So, I will assume you can not find 30-06 brass. You have not stated what die sets you are using. If you can get a tapered expander button for your decapping stem, lube the case mouth with a thicker type sizing lube like (dare I say) imperial sizing wax or even a heavy motor oil. I use tapered expander buttons in my ackley brass. lube the inside of the neck so it is wet, you should have no problem unless the 270 necks are brittle.

Boolit Master

No need to waste the powder and primer. Simply use a tapered expander to open it up. May need to anneal the brass if they split while expanding them.

Boolit Buddy
    Why? It is not necessary, order a Special Order Catalog from RCBS, foot note #1 suggest the reloader neck the 270 up to 30/06. The 270 and 30/06 only differense is in the neck, forming is not necessary.

The 270 case length is longer than the 30/06 case by .041”. The neck gets shorter when necked up, I suggest you check the case for length.

If you do not have a 30/06 die with a tappered expander? I have no ideal what kind of a case you will be left with when finsihed with the glue and cereal. When I form cases I want the case to form to the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face. Most of my rifles are ideal for firforming and then there are those should form first and then fire.

F. Guffey

280 works as well and has longer necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Good point but .280 isn’t FREE like .270 often is

Banned

I too have reformed 270 brass into 30-06 with my '06 F/L Sizing die. IIRC I had to trim a few also. But I have fire formed them and then neck sized. It works well, and I guess I'm not informed. Is it difficult to get a set of dies in Canada?

Boolit Master
    I formed a bunch of .270 brass into .35 Whelen, and it worked well for that. The tapered expander on the Redding die is rated for 7mm on up, and I did manage to smash a few pieces of brass. I first expanded the remainder to 7mm and had no problems. I found that .280 brass works slightly better, and has a marginally longer neck - and there's no need to expand it in two steps.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Just run the 270 brass through the 30-06 dies or get an expander from Noe or Sinclair I've made 8mm from 270 and didn't lose any cases. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Good point but .280 isn’t FREE like .270 often is
    You got that right.lol I was shocked I found a handful at the range The week before deer gun season. They’ll have 35 necks on them before too long.

Boolit Buddy
    No, the 270 has the longer neck, both the 270 and 280 are the same length but the case body from the shoulder to case head is longer on the 280 Remington case.

And then there is the difference, when forming 30/06 cases from 280 Remington cases the new shoulder is formed from part of the shoulder and neck.

F. Guffey

Boolit Buddy
    And then there is the reason for using longer cases; when forming before firing the case gets shorter meaning when going from 35 Whelan or 338/06 the case shortens from the mouth of the case to the case head. And then there is ‘by how much’; my cases shorten from .035 to .040”

I have never liked the idea of the case neck getting shorter because my cases necks have bullet hold, I do not have neck tension. I have increased the neck length of cases when forming by using different cases by as much as .040”.

I know’ whoope and yahoo, when I form 30 Gibbs cases from 30/06 cases my cases shorten .040”. Most reloaders would think that is not a problem but my 30 Gibb cases have a .217” length neck and a few reloaders believe the 300 Win Mag has a short neck and then there is most; they do not know the length of the neck on the 300 Win Mag.

F. Guffey

What is the point? I can add .040” to the length of the case when using 280 Remington cases.

Boolit Master
    I make my 25-06 cases out of 270’s and my 06 cases stay as such, are turned into 8mm Mauser or into .338-06 (or 35 Whelen).

But 270 to 06?

No because I have enough 06 brass already.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

To answer the question as posed as best as I can:

I loaded up a Winchester 270 once fired case with 12 grains of 700x, small wad of paper towel over the powder then corn meal(didn't have cream of wheat) then a 3/16'' plug of paraffin(couldn't find the glue gun), 60's-70's vintage CCI large pistol magnum primer(dead guy stuff that works great for this kind of load that I'll never use for anything else).

Not exactly like the OP's original question, but I suspect is close enough for gov'mint work.

Fired vertically, formed beautifully.

So, yes I would give fire forming 06 from 270 a thumb's up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270 to 06.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	258966

And yes the case shortened slightly, but still long enough to be trimmed to the correct length.

Just wish when I used to do this with 30-30 to 38-55 the cases would magically grow longer.

Boolit Buddy
    And yes the case shortened slightly, but still long enough to be trimmed to the correct length.
    Slightly? The length of the case should have shortened .035" when you necked the case up from 270 to 30/06. There is always the remote chance I am using different cases.

F. Guffey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast