RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning out the freezer. How old is too old?

Boolit Master
    I recently threw out about ten pounds of that bulk pack bacon that I bought last summer. Usually I break it down into 1 pound portions and wrap in plastic wrap then freezer paper. This stuff went rancid tasting pretty fast, but I'm not sure how long it sat in the open cooler at the store before I purchased it The bacon that is vacume packed in thick plastic seems to keep for a couple years , but I won't be buying that bulk stuff again. Remember, if it is cured with salt it never freezes as well as fresh meat.

Banned

yup it isn't like its poison. Just doesn't taste that good. If it bothers you trim off the burn and the rest will be fine. Ive ate meat that's been in the freezer for over 5 years. Even the freezer burned parts don't have to go to waste. Watch how fast your dog licks it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Unless it’s freezer burned it’s good to go. Even if it’s freezer burned that just makes it have a bad taste and texture. I wouldn’t eat freezer burned meat under normal circumstances but in an emergency I absolutely would.

Boolit Master
    Properly sealed, so that no air can get at it, meat can last indefinitely. I just used up the last of the moose burger from 2016. We use heavy-duty Zip-lock bags, squeeze as much air out as possible and wrap in heavy brown paper intended for use in wrapping meat.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    Mastadon, HA HA I like that.

Boolit Master
    I saw an article once where someone was asking how to make venison steaks more tender. The reply was to take them out of the freezer and let them thaw about half way, then freeze them again. Repeat this a second time, then one more time for a total of 3 thaw/ refreeze cycles. After all this, thaw and cook and enjoy tender steaks. If partial thawing and refreezing makes meat more tender, I won't worry if we lose the power to our freezer and get it back in reasonable time. Not sure what the answer would be if we lost power for 3 weeks as happened to us several years ago when a monster storm was dropping trees and power lines all over the county. The repair crews simply could not keep up with all the restoring of services they had to complete.

Boolit Grand Master

If the package is not marked and I can no longer remember what it is and it's not recognizable ...
    Toss it in the can !
    Otherwise use your best judgement ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12