Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Magnum or Regular #11 Percussion Caps?

Boolit Master

Magnum or Regular #11 Percussion Caps?

I just dug out of the safe, my T/C Hawken 45 cal cap lock rifle. I bought it new in the mid 1970's. Hardly ever shot. I haven't shot it in years until this week. I have some 3F powder and Pyrodex, with T/C Maxiball and .440 RB projectiles. I am going to need some percussion caps soon. Are the magnum caps better, or intended for the BP substitutes? I have tried 2F, 3F, and Pyrodex in this rifle. It seems that the BP out performs the Pyrodex for accuracy, and the 3F shoots a little better, with less fouling than the 2F does.

Boolit Grand Master

Here is just my narrow experience. Both standard and magnum caps shoot better than full power 209 primers with blackpowder. Both standard and magnum caps work great with blackpowder if things are ideal. When things get fouled, say after 50 shots, I've had standard caps start to delay firing. You could clean the nipple, and may be ok. Instead I find magnum caps will fire instantly in those conditions. If you have a problem like an actual clog, or water, nothing will help you. I have not tried musket caps. I'm told #11 magnum is comparable to musket caps.

Cost for CCI #11 is $42 per thousand, CCI #11 magnum $44.50 per thousand, and CCI musket $61.50 per thousand.

I only use CCI #11 magnum caps, and see no reason not to. A competition shooter may have a different option.

Boolit Grand Master

Generally regular caps work fine. Some guns have minor ignition problems or problems with subs. The magnum caps usually help in this case. I do not have problems with my guns so I use regular but it doesn't hurt to use magnum. Also I might mention 777 is a little harder to lite in sidlocks and magnum caps usually help there also.
    Aim small, miss small!

Hello GBertolet,

I've been using Remington #11 Caps on top of Triple Seven for years, works fine for me.
    I have found a few with priming compound missing, I just look before I put them on.

AntiqueSledMan

Boolit Master
    I buy the #10 (pistol) and #11 others and 209 shotgun when I find them at a company with a special Last I bought was 10,000 of all 3. Regular or magnum don't seem to make a difference?
    John

Boolit Master
    Thanks all. If I see both std and mag available, I will get the mag ones.

Boolit Bub
    Been using Magnums for a bout a year now. No fail to fires at all, not what I was getting with non-mags. the cost difference is minimal, no reason to go back to non-mags.

I use remington 10s and 11s because i like how the cap petals instead of turning into shrapnel pieces that get everywhere. Ive used cci but hate how they break apart and if used in a revolver they jam up the works with their shrapnel, also CCI's tend to lose their priming compound a whole lot easier than remingtons. Winchester and cci make a magnum but ive never needed the extra power they provide...even when using a sub, although for black powder not much power is needed to ignite the powder. If you have ignition delays i really advise to get a Nipple Primer. Great little gadget and makes for a sure fire and no delay in ignition. Its a tool that pours a little bit of black powder into the nipple chamber before you put a cap on. I use it mainly with homemade caps made from roll caps.