MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what tang sight for trapdoor

Boolit Buddy
    John is certainly correct. But the other thing to consider is that the base of the tang sight base to be mounted well behind the tang in order for the hammer to clear the eyepiece for windage adjustment on the sight. That means inletting the sight base into the wood, behind the tang, which I'm unwilling to do, because sooner or later my TD is going up for sale and I would think that a buyer wouldn't want a bubba'd rifle.

Boolit Bub
    My rifle already is a (bubba) so the inletting or drilling a hole doesn't bother me. I would drive to TOTW with my rifle and take a look see as far as fit but, the Gov. has issued the stay at home order and I don't think that would qualify as a basic need.

I got mine from Lee Shaver after a number of N-SSA folks strongly recommended him.

Boolit Master

Clyde Baker, in his 'Modern Gunsmithing', told of a very handsome conversion of a trapdoor into a Whelen pistol gripped sporting rifle. The rear sight was a Lyman designed for the Savage 1899, screwed to the steel tang. It handily (heh) cleared the wrist.

I've offered up this Lyman sight to my trapdoor and it's a good fit, with an appropriately low sight line. Looks wonderful, too.

Boolit Buddy
    Great idea, Nueces! Never thought of the Lyman Savage 99 sight. That's an excellent option, and, it could be JB Weld'ed to the tang instead of drilling and tapping. If you want to remove it in the future, pull the barrelled action from the stock, lightly heat the tang with a mild torch, and the sight will pop off with invisible results.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Clyde Baker, in his 'Modern Gunsmithing', told of a very handsome conversion of a trapdoor into a Whelen pistol gripped sporting rifle. The rear sight was a Lyman designed for the Savage 1899, screwed to the steel tang. It handily (heh) cleared the wrist.

I've offered up this Lyman sight to my trapdoor and it's a good fit, with an appropriately low sight line. Looks wonderful, too.
    was that sight the model 1 or 1A?

Boolit Bub
    I finally got the wgrs-bar sight,most everyone is out of stock. Got it from Ochocos outdoors in Oregon, was that 7/16" high measurement from the barrel or from the sight base to the top of the blade? That was in the post from varsity07840.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post

Photos of the sight on your Trapdoor please?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    Photos of the sight on your Trapdoor please?
    Have not installed it, only held it to the tang to verify fitment. Baker's book has some nice B&W photos of the original.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12