Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Lube sizer holes

Boolit Grand Master

Lube sizer holes

I have a bunch of duplicate lube sizers.
    Noticed some have more holes for the lube on them.
    Better to keep the ones with more holes?????

I think the ones with more holes lube with less dry spots and less pressure to get fully lubed. I like Lyman dies better than RCBS for another reason, the little size numbers on the top makes it easier to remember what size is in the lubesizer.

Boolit Master

different boolits need the lube at different spots, some of mine I welded the holes shut so they dont squeeze lube on the base.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I'm lazy. #5 shot fills those holes and is easy to remove if you want.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Master

thats pretty much what I did.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator Emeritus

I like the older Lyman dies (no O-ring), they do have larger and more numerous lube holes.
    they require less pressure and deliver more lube to the grooves, giving a better fill.
    I plug the any holes that are not needed, starting from the top of the die.
    I use large gauge, wire, solid solder, and peen/rivet it in place.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

You can also use heavy duty teflon tape meant for propane fittings to wrap the die/lube holes. You'll be surprised how durable it is.

Boolit Buddy
    In all but a few cases filling the holes on a lube die is not needed, the problem is the bullet stop isn't set up right and the bullet is being pushed to far into the die so lube from the bottom holes is squeezing under the base of the bullet. Raise the bullet stop so the base of the bullet doesn't reach the bottom holes and all is fine. Multiple holes make lubing a longer rifle type bullet with multiple lube grooves possible. Most pistol bullets only need pushed into the lube die so there nose is flush or a little below flush with the sizer die top, this pushes the bullet far enough into the die to size the barring surface and fill the lube grooves from the first set of hole in the lube die. Longer bullets may need pushed into the die further so both lube grooves are getting lube from both holes in the die, if your getting lube under the bullet in this case chances are the bottom lube hole is to close to the base of the bullet so push the bullet just a little further into the die.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the older dies with more holes....they seem to be smoother and better finished .
    Keep the ones with more holes .
    If you have to plug up holes you might want to try adjusting the depth stop ... some folks don't realize it is adjustable and the depth stop needs to be adjusted for every style boolit .
    The instructions that came with my 450 said nothing about welding holes closed but did detail how to adjust it.
    I see muddydogs read the adjusment part and knows how to do it ...ATTABOY ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I think after learning how/when to turn the reservoir wrench. The next lesson was adjusting the lube sizer die stop.
    Dad was picky about the small things.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I think after learning how/when to turn the reservoir wrench. The next lesson was adjusting the lube sizer die stop.
    Dad was picky about the small things.
    Whoo Boy did you ever nail that pressure wrench thing on the head ...such a fine line between too much , not enough and just right . Most newbe's lean way towards the too much pressure and that causes a lot of their problems . Took me awhile to learn that skill/art .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I have both Lyman and RCBS sizer dies.
    One brand has more holes than the other.
    I use them both, but whichever ones have more holes are a little easier to turn the handle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Keep the dies with more holes, you can always plug the holes you do not want. The extra holes might come in handy later. Bird shot is handy to plug them buddys! Carbide drill bits will work to add more holes later, just expensive.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I like the older dies with more holes....they seem to be smoother and better finished .
    Keep the ones with more holes .
    If you have to plug up holes you might want to try adjusting the depth stop ... some folks don't realize it is adjustable and the depth stop needs to be adjusted for every style boolit .
    The instructions that came with my 450 said nothing about welding holes closed but did detail how to adjust it.
    I see muddydogs read the adjusment part and knows how to do it ...ATTABOY ...
    Gary
    Don't think I remember reading anything on adjustment but I might have years ago. It only took 2 or so times (ya sometimes I'm a slow learner) of having the bullet pushed up by lube and cleaning up the mess to stop and figure out why it was happening. Funny how people will spend time coming up with a fix instead of figuring out what they're doing wrong and making adjustments. Sure is a lot faster learning how to use something right then trying to fix what isn't broken. Guess most of the issue is most people these days just can't imagine that they're actually the problem and not the equipment.

Boolit Master
    The number of holes used is controlled by the depth setting of your die stem, but the only time you need to fill holes or even count holes is with the Star lube/sizer.