Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Purple Cast bullets ? Received my order from Penn bullets

Boolit Bub

Question Purple Cast bullets ? Received my order from Penn bullets

Penn Bullets New Coated Bullets ..... " These bullets feature our new polymer coating that was developed for military ammunition " ... This was the first sentence in his enclosed note about bullets that I received from him . They have no wax in the grooves ,just this purple coating that apparently is a 4 step process . Its first cast,coated,baked and then sized . Says this is a one coat application process unlike the "Hy-Tek" product that requires 2-3 coats . Bullets are for my .480 Ruger SRH and measure .476. They weigh 342 grs and plan to load them with 235grs of H110 . What say yee cast bullet shooters ?

Boolit Bub
    235 grains of H110 will probably be a tight fit and rough on the hands and other body parts

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Banned
    Just referring to the boolit coating: clean the barrel well before shooting then pay close attention to any leading/coloration in the barrel. Purple coating may be fine but it pays to be safe until your sure.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 03-20-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Photos

Of the bullet

And they lie. I mean pamphlet they sent with it.

I have it's the same thing federal did claiming they invented it off of our hardworking

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Do you seat your bullets and then use another die to crimp them ?

Boolit Buddy
    .476 leaded my SBH badly, and even .477 wasn't much of an improvement. I guess coated might work. I crimp separately. Favorite load is a 325 cast over 21 gr. 2400.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Photos

Of the bullet

And they lie. I mean pamphlet they sent with it.

I have it's the same thing federal did claiming they invented it off of our hardworking

For what it's worth, what Federal uses is not powder coat, or hytek. I do not know what it is, but it is applied wet, bullets are supported by needles grabbing on each side, then baked in an oven to cure. The stuff smells strong, it is not just paint. If you pull a syntec or coated 22 LR bullet, you will find two pin pricks, one on each side, where the fixture holds them.

The result is the same as anything else, a coat of something keeps the lead from rubbing on the barrel.

Boolit Buddy

I love my purple coated boolits using Smokes purple powder!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironworker View Post
    Penn Bullets New Coated Bullets ..... " These bullets feature our new polymer coating that was developed for military ammunition " ... This was the first sentence in his enclosed note about bullets that I received from him . They have no wax in the grooves ,just this purple coating that apparently is a 4 step process . Its first cast,coated,baked and then sized . Says this is a one coat application process unlike the "Hy-Tek" product that requires 2-3 coats . Bullets are for my .480 Ruger SRH and measure .476. They weigh 342 grs and plan to load them with 235grs of H110 . What say yee cast bullet shooters ?
    I would say 235gr of H110 is TOOOOOOOOO much, just sayin..... 23.5 is probably correct.
    Other than that looks like a good setup.

Sean

Boolit Master

I just came up with a new kind of device to make moving things around easier. It is kind of roundish and attached to a rod like thing , one on each end and it goes under the load and makes it easier to push around, or pull if you need to. I am trying to think of what to call it and then will apply for a patent. Roundyroundy is what I am thinking right now.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

(Making/light fun here)

Our powder coated bullets must be SUPER DUPER THAN!! Cause most of us use a SEVEN STEP system!!!

Cast
    Inspect
    Coat
    Sift/inspect again
    Bake
    Quench
    Final inspection before loading and shooting!

Sounds like powder cost to me. Seem today every company needs to recreate the wheel and claim it’s there design...

Color is just a pigment not likely ANYTHING to do with preformance. But I like it too.

Powder coating has many attributes and more and more casters are turning to it. It not to replace conventional lubes it’s just a technological improvement. . (Big fancy word)

Many consider PC as just a lube. It’s far more. It IS a jacket. A polymer jacket. It makes the billets ”safer” by incapsulating the lead. It’s dudes me cause properly applied it survives the barrel target and usually the back stop!!! It provides less smoke cause no lube needed. It allows softer alloys that means better expansion. Because it inhibits leading. It dosenNOT replace the need for a gas check but allows the velocity threshold to be raised past most hand gun rounds. Meaning most hand gun cast bullets don’t really “need” a GC anymore. YES they still serve a valuable purpose in creating a near perfect (when properly applied) base that’s the end all for true LT accurate preformance.
    When crossing over to rifle lead/cast. Much of same can be said. I routinely shoot plain base rifle cast to 2000 FPS and have not seen a lick of fouling from my bullets. But if a design calls for a GC it gets a GC from me. (UNLESS LOW PRESSURE PLINKERS)

Good luck with your find and I too would like to see them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

For new PC bullet user; treat them just like plain nekkid lead bullets. Use the same dimensions, same loading methods and same load data. This will get you started easily and safely. I've used this method for all my PCed bullets for a few years and it works n my pistols (9mm-45 ACP), revolvers (38 Special-45 Colt, magnums included), and two 30 cal rifles...

I agree with the last paragraph as a description it cwlongshot's post. Good explanation/description...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-20-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Someone provide me with a cell number and I'll send pictures . New computer and virus blocker,keeps saying down load fail virus scan .

Boolit Master

scroll down to see several boxes of different colors

https://www.pennbullets.com/pennbulletin.html
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    (Making/light fun here)

Our powder coated bullets must be SUPER DUPER THAN!! Cause most of us use a SEVEN STEP system!!!

Cast
    Inspect
    Coat
    Sift/inspect again
    Bake
    Quench
    Final inspection before loading and shooting!

Sounds like powder cost to me. Seem today every company needs to recreate the wheel and claim it’s there design...

Color is just a pigment not likely ANYTHING to do with preformance. But I like it too.

Powder coating has many attributes and more and more casters are turning to it. It not to replace conventional lubes it’s just a technological improvement. . (Big fancy word)

Many consider PC as just a lube. It’s far more. It IS a jacket. A polymer jacket. It makes the billets ”safer” by incapsulating the lead. It’s dudes me cause properly applied it survives the barrel target and usually the back stop!!! It provides less smoke cause no lube needed. It allows softer alloys that means better expansion. Because it inhibits leading. It dosenNOT replace the need for a gas check but allows the velocity threshold to be raised past most hand gun rounds. Meaning most hand gun cast bullets don’t really “need” a GC anymore. YES they still serve a valuable purpose in creating a near perfect (when properly applied) base that’s the end all for true LT accurate preformance.
    When crossing over to rifle lead/cast. Much of same can be said. I routinely shoot plain base rifle cast to 2000 FPS and have not seen a lick of fouling from my bullets. But if a design calls for a GC it gets a GC from me. (UNLESS LOW PRESSURE PLINKERS)

Good luck with your find and I too would like to see them.

CW
    Do you PC before or after the gas check is attached ?
    Powder Coat under the Gas Check or over it ?
    just askin'
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    For what it's worth, what Federal uses is not powder coat, or hytek. I do not know what it is, but it is applied wet, bullets are supported by needles grabbing on each side, then baked in an oven to cure. The stuff smells strong, it is not just paint. If you pull a syntec or coated 22 LR bullet, you will find two pin pricks, one on each side, where the fixture holds them.

The result is the same as anything else, a coat of something keeps the lead from rubbing on the barrel.
    From the bullets I pulled of federal ammo and the question asked the company. Its powder coating done in a shake n bake in a dump method the dots you see are the bullets that touch.

They have marketed as target grade ammo on purpose.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    From the bullets I pulled of federal ammo and the question asked the company. Its powder coating done in a shake n bake in a dump method the dots you see are the bullets that touch.

They have marketed as target grade ammo on purpose.

That is not true. I've been in a facility where these bullets are coated in Eden Valley, MN. There are likely a number of companies Federal uses, but the process is the same. The bullets are in a jig, and dunked in liquid. It is something strong, with a strong odor. I do not know what it was, but it is not standard paint. It is then cured in an oven. They currently use the same process for centerfire pistol and coated 22 lr. I do not know what Federal used in the past, but as of the release of Syntech bullets, and through today, they use a liquid coating.

For the record, I am not impressed with Syntech ammo at all. It goes bang, but it is not what I would call target grade. Cheaper FMJ is just as accurate, and plenty clean.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Do you PC before or after the gas check is attached ?
    Powder Coat under the Gas Check or over it ?
    just askin'
    Actually both!

I used to do it after but sometimes it caused issues. So I started doing it first. It’s tedious. But seems better. (So far).

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

I tried gas checking after PCing and it was a PIA. The check boss was enlarged a few thousandths and made starting/placing the check on the base difficult and many got on crooked. But I often just left the checks off and the PC protected the base. The only gas checked bullets I PCed were for my 30 cal. rifles...
    My Anchor is holding fast!