Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Smelting Accesories

Smelting Accesories

I have the big burner and cut off propane tank for processing larger batches of lead. I have the skimmer I used for ice fishing. It is stainless steel with a 5 inch round scoop and a handle about 2 feet long.
    I have tried several thing as a dipper with out much success. They worked but not well.
    As I was working around outside a came upon some other old ice fishing stuff. 1 lb. propane bottles. These are the short fat ones.
    Hmm, I thought, if I can cut up a big tank why not a small one. So I set the bottle out back and punctured it with my 22. I aimed up near the top. Punched a neat hole all the way through.
    I then flushed it out with water several times, using the bullet hole to fill an drain. Once It got so I couldn't smell any gas I cut it off a bit below the bullet holes. This made a nice large container. About the size as the pot on my 20 lb. Lee. I then cut it shorter, at the seam.
    This gave it a capacity of about 13.5 lbs. A bit much for pouring 2.5 lb. ingots.
    I then thought a bit more and thought I had some of the tall skinny ones around. I found them and this time I shot it just above the seam. This time it didn't punch all the way through. Nice hole then a nice dent.
    I hit at the seam so I could make two containers. I cut it at the seam. I then trimmed the other half to cut off the bullet holes.
    This gave me one that held the same as the first one, 13.5 lbs. one about 11lbs. capacity.
    With the tall skinny bottle I will trim one piece down to hold around 5 lbs. This should make a good ladle. I'll try to build a pouring spout on at least one side. Maybe even make it a bottom pour Like the Rowel ladles.
    Just need to figure out the spouts and handles.
    No pics as of yet. I'll try to get some up showing where I'm at now.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    I made a spout on my large melting pot by setting it on an open vice and pounding it with a ball peen hammer, made a nice spout for pouring out the last of the melt when done.

Banned
    I now have a cut propane tank to smelt in. These are the tools I use

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I now have a cut propane tank to smelt in. These are the tools I use

What do you use the whisk for?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fralic76 View Post
    What do you use the whisk for?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
    Hehe my same thought. Maybe cleaning the sides while smelting?

Boolit Grand Master

One accessory I don't see...... NFPA 10 Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher , Class K would be good to have on hand but ABC is better than nothing .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Hehe my same thought. Maybe cleaning the sides while smelting?
    Fluxing the lead, it is great for quickly getting the flux distributed completely throughout the lead.

When fluxing my pot, I also use a metal potato masher to get the flux to the bottom of the pot the finish it off with a smaller whisk.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't had a problem getting the pine shavings to mix but the wisk would probably do a more thorough job. Have to look for a used one or Goodwill.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 03-21-2020 at 05:18 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have made bigger ladles from weld on pipe caps. I used a 4" the last one. welded a 3/4" coupling on the outside and a formed piece of 3/8: brake line inside 90* to the coupling drilled a couple holes in the top part of the way up it also. Let the end overhang about an inch and formed into a angle over the side. Used a 3 ft long piece of pipe in the voupling for a 2 hand handle. The pipe ends are domed good heavy steel to hold heat and last.

Boolit Master
    Neat idea on the whisk, I will have to try that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

My smelting tools consist of a Rowell Ladle and one of their skimmers. I also have a large solid and slotted kitchen spoon, a set of ChannelLoc pliers, a BBQ lighter, safety glasses and leather gloves that stay with my set-up. I have a decent size fire extinguisher both by the door and the work bench in my shop. I still have both the 2 pound and probably a 10 pound ladle that I started with but the Rowell is nicer. The Rowell ladle and skimmer are fairly new additions and I wish I had bought them sooner. I run 8 of the Lyman style ingot molds. I also have a piece of steel bar thats 1/2 X 6 inches about 6ft long thats the landing zone for those ingot molds.

Boolit Master
    I have most of the stuff mentioned above, minus the whisks (my scrap source is pretty clean) and the extinguisher ( outdoor set up over a paved area, with a hose and tap ten feet away). One thing I use besides channel locks are a pair of vise grip pliers. The lip of my propane tank pot is thin enough that I can use the vice grips to lift and pour if I need to empty the pot.

Boolit Grand Master

Now I just can't believe that with all the safety minded folks , who continually harp on the dangers of lead , that I'm the only person who thinks a fire extinguisher is not only a good smelting accessory but just might be a valuable necessity ?

Just try putting out a fire with a whisk...good luck .
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Now I just can't believe that with all the safety minded folks , who continually harp on the dangers of lead , that I'm the only person who thinks a fire extinguisher is not only a good smelting accessory but just might be a valuable necessity ?.
    I never thought about it myself.
    I have two on the wall in the shop, one on the wall in the garage, one under the sink in the kitchen, one in each car, and one in the boat.
    I just figured everybody else does too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have made bigger ladles from weld on pipe caps. I used a 4" the last one. welded a 3/4" coupling on the outside and a formed piece of 3/8: brake line inside 90* to the coupling drilled a couple holes in the top part of the way up it also. Let the end overhang about an inch and formed into a angle over the side. Used a 3 ft long piece of pipe in the voupling for a 2 hand handle. The pipe ends are domed good heavy steel to hold heat and last.
    Can you post a pic?
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I never thought about it myself.
    I have two on the wall in the shop, one on the wall in the garage, one under the sink in the kitchen, one in each car, and one in the boat.
    I just figured everybody else does too.
    Hitting our like button ... LIKE !

One little fire and all of a sudden a fire extinguisher becomes worth it's weight in gold ...Trust me.
    Saved my reloading shed , bench and all my casting and reloading tools ...that little FE stopped a disaster from happening .
    I have them strategically located in house , garage and reloading building also .
    Everybody should but I bet many just don't think about it , so I was just trying to promote a little FE awareness .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"