WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 3D Printer Primer Catcher

Boolit Master

3D Printer Primer Catcher

My refurbed Spartan press is missing the primer catcher. I made this one from a cut down solo cup. It works fairly well. But I saw this other one on ebay. The guy makes them on a 3D printer. I watched a youtube video of it and it seemed to work well, so I just ordered one. Has anyone else used one? I see he makes similar catchers for other presses as well.

Apologies for posting he Ebay link. I forgot they were not allowed. But here is a photo of the primer catcher I just ordered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails primer catcher.jpg   Catcher.jpg  
    Last edited by ndnchf; 03-19-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Removed ebay link, which aren't allowed.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have one of the primer catchers in the link. It is hooked up to an old spartan press. It works pretty good but it will miss one every now and then. I have a piece of clear plastic tubing
    and use a plastic nut container from Sam's Club to catch the primers. I drilled the hole in the lid a bit small but the snug fit keeps the plastic tubing in place.

One of the problems is when decapping rifle brass is that the shell holder needs to be turned sideways to feed the brass, the catcher is a bit tall.

Hope this helps

Boolit Master

I bought a 3D printed one from a guy on here named Tom or Big Tom for my RCBS Jr2.
    Greatest thing since sliced bread...dale

I printed a couple before I found one I like for the rock chucker.

Boolit Master

It does seem a bit tall, but I generally position my shell holder to load from the left. So I don't think it will be a problem. I need to figure out how/where to attach a catch can to the end of the tube without it being in the way.

Boolit Master

The primer catcher arrived today. It seems to work just fine.

Boolit Master

After a little fitting, the primer catcher works pretty good. It doesnt catch 100% of them, but a good 90-95%. I came up with a simple way to collect them. I didn't have any plastic tubing. But I did have some of this trailer wiring plastic cover. At the end I slipped in a .50-70 case. It holds in place by friction and is easy to empty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200323_163237_copy_1134x2016.jpg   20200323_165214_copy_548x743.jpg  

Boolit Master

I can't stand the 3D "Primer Catchers" that mount in front.
    They are really in the way of being able to access the press opening and being able see what you're doing.

I have one I bought off fleabay about 3yrs ago. 3D printed.

It's for My Original RockChucker that has a Case Kicker on it. It's mounted in the BACK of the press opening. Can't use the 2 Lee shell holders I have with it. They mess up the little magnetic gizmo that fits into the groove in the ram to kick the primer into the catcher. I had to turn the ram around to face backwards. But I can't remember the last time I primed on this press.
    All my other shell holders from Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady and even old Pacific work fine with it.
    My dead primer tube goes out a bit to the right and down into the trash can.
    The primer ejection tube for My Hornady
    L-N-L goes straight down into a 1/2gal OJ Jugg, with about 5lbs of primers in the bottom.
    Just clear rubber tubing for both from ACE Hardware.

Wish I still had the original Primer Catcher for My Spartan Press.
    Cardboard box and duct tape.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    And... save those primers and recycle them. You would be surprised how heavy a milk jug of them weighs and they're brass and nickel $$$.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!