Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Old H414

Boolit Master

Old H414

I have some old H414 in the cardboard cans (Pre zip code) and want to load up some 308 for my son.

The powder has basically no smell, but looks fine. No rust on lid either.

Good to go?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    problem is I don't have a 308.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

Boolit Grand Master

If I remember right it is a very slow powder. I used it in my 25-06. I don't think it lasted long enough to have a lot of data available, but I never really looked.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    If I remember right it is a very slow powder. I used it in my 25-06. I don't think it lasted long enough to have a lot of data available, but I never really looked.
    H414 is still around, it's my 'go-to' for 210 grainers in the .30-40 Krag. Reminder: Like HP38 and WW231, H414 and WW760 are the SAME powder with different labels...load data is interchangeable.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Ball powders are much more resistant to the aging process. H414 I believe is the same as Winchester 760 and is a good powder for most medium sized rifle cases.

Ken

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Have used a bunch of it in ‘06 rounds
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    So you guys are thinking it's good to go?

Boolit Buddy
    I used up a pound of WW760BR in the yellow tin that is the same stuff. Price on the label was $2.65. It was the most accurate powder in a Rem 600 308 with 150 grain accubonds. A little slow for 308, I don't think you could get too much powder in the case. I'd try it as a starting load in some 06 based case (but not your Garand, too slow). A chrono would be best to compare.

I have had that powder go bad on me before, it would clump and turn yellow in areas. I don't think it was from age, but was not contaminated by me.

It's good to go. I use it in 243 Win, same case.

Absolutely good in the condition you describe. A great powder, I've used it in 22-250 to 30-06 with great results. My best ever 25-06 3 shot group(.35") was with H414. Be sure and use magnum strength primers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

It is a slower burning powder as mentioned. It also is best used with a magnum LR primer of with those made for ball powders such as the WLR. It also performs best when used in the .308W with heavier jacketed bullets such as 180s, 190s and 200 gr bullets. I have used it with cast bullets, even 220 gr ones and didn't find it performed very good.

No acidic smell, no rust coloration.....I'd use it.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I use it in 30/30 with a 150gr loverin boolit and it works well for me. Around 1 1/2" @100yds from an H&R topper barrel.

Banned

Same thing as Winchester 760. Haven't used much of it for a while, but when I was still shooting jacketed bullets, it was the best stuff I found in my 6mm and worked real well with 165 grain bullets in the .30-06 too.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I use it in my wife's 270-308AI. With 130 grain Sierra SPBT it will produce nearly the same velocity as the 270 WIN, (in the usual 22" factory barrel). These are chronographed velocities. However, with the 140 and 150 grain bullets, it loses quite a bit. Perhaps, had I used a full length action so the bullets could be seated out further, thereby not taking up case capacity, it might even perform well with those bullet weights also.

I would not hesitate to use it for a 308, especially with 165 gr. projectiles.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Magnum or CCI#34 primers to avoid unburnt granules falling into the chamber when a round is extracted. Least in 30 caliber rifles.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson