WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for info on Webley revolvers

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    100% right and appreciate the information. My shooting Webley is a historical curosity for me to be left alone rather than altered to make it preform better. A Webley in a world offering modern pistols is an enjoyable range toy. I understand the enjoyment of making the old work better, appreciating the effort and expertise.

Your sharing of knowledge is most appreciated.
    I absolutely appreciate keeping the old guns original.

But I was also concerned that after I'm gone someone shooting the revolver with oversized, hard bullets in tight throats would burst the cylinder, as I've seen this happen often. I decided that uniforming the throats was not apparent to casual inspection, did not impair cosmetics, but improved shooting and safety for future shooters. I feel that sin will be forgiven.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I think anyone who gets your old timers will be very lucky especially if the custom mold and some advice goes with it. It is no sin at all to fulfill a harmless hobby as desired. If I were the eventual owner of your modified equipment and the molds I would cherish them as I do some other pieces I have that were clearly owned by someone who knew what they were doing before I acquired them. Mostly I have stopped buying saving my wife the problem of getting rid of more if I die. She will probably sell my "treasures" for 20 cents on the dollar anyway. I'll be rolling in my grave : ) .

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    I think anyone who gets your old timers will be very lucky especially if the custom mold and some advice goes with it. It is no sin at all to fulfill a harmless hobby as desired. If I were the eventual owner of your modified equipment and the molds I would cherish them as I do some other pieces I have that were clearly owned by someone who knew what they were doing before I acquired them. Mostly I have stopped buying saving my wife the problem of getting rid of more if I die. She will probably sell my "treasures" for 20 cents on the dollar anyway. I'll be rolling in my grave : ) .
    I'm glad that you understand. There is also a .455 rook rifle in the package.

Attachment 259234
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    To say I am envious of that rook rifle is putting it mildly.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are looking for excellent 455 molds, here are few (left and center) intended for Webley https://www.mp-molds.com/shop/?query...er_caliber=455 . RCBS also makes 455 mold, but from MP molds you can get for close the same money 4 cavity one, versus single cavity made by RCBS. Might be some other manufacturers but I am not aware. Hope that other members could step in.

As for MP 45-270 Ohaus Hollow on right side on website above, I cannot comment that one, except I do not see reason why it couldn't be tried in Webley.

As for cylinder bores, here things are getting strange. First, 455 Webley round started as black powder one. Now, in order to get the pressure up to wanted level (12600 PSI), Brits made cylinder mouth .448-.451 to squeeze boolit. Well that is fine, but barrel dia is .450-.452. (All measurements on 4 different Mk VI, made 1915-1918)

Since we all know that smaller cylinder bore and larger barrel don't mix well (many shooting Ruger BH 45 Colt know that first hand), that is the reason why 455 Webley revolvers have hollow base, and why lead for them must be soft. Once boolit is out from cylinder and entering barrel, it will expand and fill the barrel.

NOTE: Do not count on solid base boolit obturation in Webley. Max. pressure is too low for that.
    Last edited by Onty; 04-03-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12