Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumps are fun!

My first pump was a Daisy bb gun, model 75 I think. As a grownup I bought a Remington 572 Deluxe Fieldmaster then I found a Rossi 62 rifle [no fugly safety]in a nickel finish and a nice blond tiger-striped stock. I wore the Daisy out but I’ve still got the others.
    Shotgun wise I’ve got a mismatched ‘97, a Norinco trench 97, Model 17-19-24 Marlins and my Winchester Model 12 trench that I built. Had an 870 slug gun for a while. Almost forgot my newest, a Riverside /Stevens 520-30. Pumps are fun.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-19-2020 at 07:05 PM.

A few years ago I worked on my BIL’s Stevens Visible Loader .22 pump. If I wasn’t already bald, I’d have pulled out my hair trying to get that thing timed. I discovered first hand why the old timers called them “Miserable Loaders”. I won’t touch one again:-/

There is a gun store about a hour north of me in MI that has 3 , 22 pumps for sale. They have a Rem 12 A, and a Rem 12 C w/ tang sight, and a savage M 1903 with a magazine.
    I have been resisting going up there as I will probably come home with one of them and I am trying not to buy any more guns unless it’s a holy grail single shot I don’t have.
    I am a little familiar with the Rem. M 12’s but never seen a Savage M 1903 except pics online.
    That Savage is kinda homely looking but getting more interesting the more I think of it. I tried to find something wrong with them online but from the little I can find they are a solid gun.
    I don’t know what a visible loader is ? Hope it’s not the same model.

Jedman

The Visible Loader has an exposed breech block and hammer that makes it resemble (to me) a pump action Little Favorite. The cartridge is visible as it slides up into the block before being pushed into the chamber. I'm not sure of the model number. Lockup comes from underneath via a pivoting arm that abuts the front edge of the receiver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks Thomas , I searched the visible loader and found it was made in several model no.s 70 , 71 ..... and was a unusual design. The model 1903 Savage is much different and if I get a chance to buy it I probably will and will look at that Rem 12 C, if it is the NRA model I will get it also but this gun shop is pretty savvy at what they are selling and this is a consignment gun and they don’t have it listed as the N.R.A. model. I got my stimulus check and don’t think I should get it but if they are going to twist my arm ... I will stimulate the economy buying a few guns .
    Jedman

I used my stimulus on a Winchester pre A 52. It’s becoming my favorite .22. But it’s not a pump.

Boolit Master

Dad had a (then new) M61 in .22 Mag when they first came out. Nice little rifle. I had a M62A Winnie and both left me. Last year I located another M62A and it won't leave. Love shooting the lightweight pumps. Great bullfrog harvesters. Now if I could locate about 5 bricks of .22 Shorts at reasonable process I'd be happier. One of those little rifles coming home made me a happy man as it./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I only have 2 pump 22s now. A 62 and 61 Wins, both in 95% condition. I actually like the 62 better but the 61 is deadly off hand. I think it’s all in the trigger. Also have 2 centerfire pumps, 14 & 141 Rems, both 35cal. I had a dozen more pumps mostly 22s that I’ve sold thinning down the collection. I’m letting go the safe queens to keep shooters. These old pumps can’t be compared with newer junk. My favorite deer rifle is over 100yrs old.
    There will be very few people saying that 100yrs from now with today’s excuses for firearms.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

That 22mag probably leaves nothing but lips on bull frogs. I know a guy who used a Monroe County Gig on frogs. It used 22 shorts.

Boolit Master

I wanted a Remington 572 in the worst way, which is not surprising since I have 4 870s and an old 760. Seemed like I just needed one.

Turned out to be a disappointment. Was not particularly accurate, horrible trigger, and suffered from a lot of parts breakage. But, given my past experience with Remington, I really think this particular gun was just a lemon. Ended up selling it.

Who knows, maybe I'll get another one some day.

Boolit Master
    Still waiting on someone or someway to get a 22" micro-grooved threaded front end pump with either a rotary or stick mag model.

A Henry pump .22 was at Academy the other day, it and Chipmunks were the only .22 rifles they had.

Boolit Master
    Patrick L , what you want is a Remington 121! Wonderful rifles, accurate and reliable.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Man
    I had a Winchester 270 pump but it had the black plastic forearm and a dial-adjustable rear sight. Wish I'd kept it. Also have a Winchester 1906 Expert pump and a Model 61. For me, the M61 is the most naturally pointing .22 I've ever owned.

At one time or another over the past 50 years, I've owned/shot/hunted with several different slide/pump action .22 rifles.

None have had a scope, a few had tang sights, and the remainder open/iron barrel sights.

They were:

Savage 1914
    Stevens 70 (Miserable Loader)
    Stevens 75 (Savage29)
    Remington 12B Gallery Special (.22 Short)
    Remington 121A
    Browning BPR (LR)
    Marlin 38

I've never owned/shot any Henry, Noble, or Winchester slide/pump .22 rifles, other than listed above.

My favorite was the Marlin 38 - YMMV.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I can only bring one memory of a pump .22 L.R. to mind, that of a Win. Mod. 62 that was in almost new condition and which belonged to the father of a kid I did some small game hunting with back in the 1950s. The kid, a bit of a Neanderthal throwback, decided to show me how to shoot fish one day when the squirrels were scarce. There was a beautiful, clear creek that ran through the forest with several deep pools, and one could see the rainbow trout. He stuck the rifle's barrel into the water about a foot deep and pulled the trigger at what seemed to be the appropriate moment. There was a visible streak in the water for about 18 inches, but no fish was harmed. After several such demonstrations we moved on to other endeavors. Even though I was a kid myself, I had thought that the barrel would burst and was surprised when it didn't. I declined his offer to give it a try, and certainly wasn't going to subject my Stevens single shot to participation in this sport. He did allow that he'd only ever been successful in shooting one fish after many tries on other occasions. Winchester made a fine rifle!

Boolit Master
    I don't think there are very many visible loaders that function properly anymore. they are few and far between. I had one that looked great but would only fire the first shot pumped through it after that first shot it failed to fire due to a chip on bottom edge of barrel where the firing pin strikes and only the first round through it would eject properly. when I got serious about getting it straightened out found there was man making some parts for them, mostly screws, but not the parts I needed. And was warned by several well trained and seasoned gunsmiths not to attempt taking it apart unless I was sure of what I was doing. turned out they are worth a bunch of money and a I found gun shop owner that wanted it a whole lot more than I did and gave me just about about $700 credit towards anything he had in stock, not bad for a $75 investment.
    As far as the Remington 12's and 121's, fine guns when they work properly, currently have a 121 that probably needs carrier dog and action bar springs, its not so easy to find parts for these. My friend who owns a pawn shop felt bad for me with my luck with pump action 22's and sold me a nice early model 572 for $200.
    I guess I'm hooked on slide action 22's since learning to shoot on my pops Winchester model 62

I picked up this Win. M 1906 the other day. It has been relined so the bore looks like new and when I took it apart the action parts show very little wear. It’s been near 100 degrees here for the last 7-8 days so I haven’t shot it yet.
    When my wife seen it she said she wants to shoot it and thinks it should be hers. I’m OK with that as she has better eyes than me and probably will fit her better. We have a war going on with raccoons right now, she woke me up early this morning as there was a family of 5 eating our sunflower seed and I got 4 of the 5 with my Marlin 57 M in 22 mag. Now I will see if she can shoot a few.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really want Henry to come out with a carbine version of their pump .22. Last time I looked, they only offered it with the 20" octagonal barrel, which I already have in a lever action.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Attachment 265078Attachment 265079

I am going to blame this on Texas by God. I didn’t even own a 22 pump until reading this post and now own 2.
    I found this one at a local shop yesterday and like it a lot, it is more of a full size mans gun 24” barrel and a larger forend than most. It is made by Savage but has the brand name Keystone on it and although worn looking it has a nice clean bore and the wood has no damage and the action is slick.
    I did shoot a woodchuck with the Win. 1906 last weekend , two quick shots to the head and he was done.
    These pump 22’s are fun !
    Sorry for the poor pic of the rifle, after posting and looking at it you can’t even tell it is a pump action, to much glare.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 07-21-2020 at 11:10 AM.

A little better pic taken outdoors.

JedmanAttachment 265080

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast