RepackboxLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumps are fun!

Pumps are fun!

A friend was the high bidder for this Winchester model 270 .22 S,L,LR pump. It was a bit crusty so he brought it to me for cleaning up. I had only seen this variation in catalogs previously- although I'd shot a semiauto version and my brother has a lever action version. They all used the same receivers and buttstocks it seems. It cleaned up pretty well and I hit this dog food can ten for ten with Remington Golden .22 shorts.
    I told him to take his time coming to get it....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Cleaned up right nice! I readily admit to a serious affinity to pumpguns, of all types. You might get a chance to swap him out of that little Winchester, worth a try anyway.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have a little Winchester 06 that is magic, then I bought a Pedersoli Lighting in 44/40. What a delight to use!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Marlin model 38 years ago. 22 s,l, lr, octagon barrel. A slick shooting little gem.

Boolit Master
    Had a Model 250 lever action, was my first .22. Shot the daylights out of it for years before the locking recess in the top of the alloy receiver wore out. Sent it back to Winchester and they replaced the receiver for free. Shot it some more and noticed that the locking recess was starting to wear out again so it went down the road. The fixed breech models used a steel locking bolt that was harder than the receiver and unless kept lubed wore out the receiver. Not sure if Winchester ever solved that problem but if I had it now would make sure it was lubed and the leading edge of the locking plate was polished slightly to remove the sharp edge.

The soft cast receivers were the bug a boo of the Win 22s of post 64 era. in auto,pump and lever.

That's a really nice looking Winchester.

I have a 1971 rem 572 that I absolutely love. I bought it in 1977 used when I was 14. It's quite is accurate out to 75 yards...I pick off chipmunks at that distance with mine. They certainly are a lot of fun.

I nicknamed mine the squirrel killer about 40 years ago.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have one of those. My father bought it for me in 1964, the year of Winchester's great debacle. It is a cheaply made rifle, built to a price, not a standard. It's not even close to it's predecessor, the 61 Winchester in quality. The action on mine is anything but smooth, with lots of friction. Still, despite this, it is a nice, good looking little carbine, great for plinking. I have a friend, who is a local scoutmaster, who borrows this rifle periodically, for the scout's merit badges in marksmanship. The scouts love it.

It reminds me of the model 1200 Winchester pump shotgun. Nice looking, but nowhere near the gun a Remington 870 or Ithaca 37 is. This one is in clean shape inside so it should be alright for the 64 year old kid that owns it now. The previously mentioned Winchester 61 and Remington 12 were twice the gun and twice as expensive. I've seen a worn out Remington 572 also. The steel on alloy lockup was the culprit there too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Browning's Winchester 1890/1906/62A is at the top of my list for "Last Firearms Likely to be Working after the Fall of Civilization". It's a TANK!

Fun? You bet!

I bought my 1906 when I was very deep into Highpower Rifle competition. I was shooting a match with a .308 every other weekend, and was using a match .22 rifle with match ammo to practice the course of fire on alternate weekends. I realized that I was taking it WAAAAY too seriously and had forgotten how to simply screw around with a .22.

The inline-feeding, S/L/LR capability of Browning's pump lets me take any random rimfire ammo and dump it in - which I have deliberately done to get me out of the extreme of individually-weighed, rim-thickness-measured match ammo. If the dog food can falls over, we're golden!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Dad had one. I didnt really care for the feel of the action, kind of springy, non-affirmative feel. I have an old 1930's stevens pump and just the other day was sitting in a chair popping at an 8inch swinger at 75 yards. The old thing is quite impressive in accuracy and the nice little "cling" was quite a hoot.

Banned
    Once you start shooting pump rifles you're hooked. Nothing else will satisfy that need. I grew up with an '06 Winchester...it got stolen. I don't think I have been the same since.

Moderator Emeritus

I was having a cup of coffee in a local Micky-Dee's when a gentleman walked in and asked if anyone present may wish to "buy a rifle". As the fellow appeared relatively harmless, I "bit", and -- in the trunk of his auto -- was a Model 12C Remington pump .22. I bought it! Doing a bit of research, including faint stock-markings, it turns out this pump .22 was owned by and used in a Shooting Gallery in New York City! (It bears no factory serial number) Apparently, way back when, there were 'Galleries as frequent as barber shops and saloons on the Avenues, where folks could lay down a few coins to shoot one of these -- mostly, from what I have been told, .22 Short ammo... What pre-dated video game shops?
    Anyhoos -- both sons put many boxes of ammo through it, as have I -- and I cannot recall a single malfunction or failure to fire! Your are MOST correct: Pumps are indeed fun!
    geo

Boolit Master

Pumps are fun! My first BB gun was a pump and my dad could pump it and shoot it from the shoulder at an amazing rate. I had to put the butt on my hip and muscle it into submission to get it cocked and ready for the next shot. Hey, I was a 65 pound weakling but it was still fun and better than not shooting.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    To me, the ultimate pump 22 is and will always be the Rem. 121.
    That said, I haven't had one, or any pump, in a long time until a couple of weeks ago when I won a store brand Sav. 29 at a local auction.
    If the weather ever gets better, I may even get some opportunities to shoot it other than just a test fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0773 (2).JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    About 10 years ago me,and the woman went up to Marietta,and stopped at one of them permanent flea markets at an old Rink's store,and I got interested in a little 10-22 a guy had.I can't remember what he had on it,but it was probably too much.He also had other guns.I ended up with the 10-22,and a little ugly pump for one deal..The wife was with me so I gave her the pump. It had either a plastic woodgrain fore end,and a wooden butt,or vice versa ,anyways I gave it to her probably so she wouldn't give me the old "You don't need another gun " speech..I had never heard of the Model 270,so I looked it up,and was surprised to find out that the thing was starting to get kinda desirable,and was also surprised that it came out of the factory with the plastic,and wooden stock. She kept it for a few years,and never shot it,and one day I had a guy over that I trade guns with sometimes,and he ended up with it.If I'm not mistaken she asked him $200,and got $190 from it..I can't remember for sure,but I don't think I would have given the guy at the flea market over $250 for both.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I was having a cup of coffee in a local Micky-Dee's when a gentleman walked in and asked if anyone present may wish to "buy a rifle". As the fellow appeared relatively harmless, I "bit", and -- in the trunk of his auto -- was a Model 12C Remington pump .22. I bought it! Doing a bit of research, including faint stock-markings, it turns out this pump .22 was owned by and used in a Shooting Gallery in New York City! (It bears no factory serial number) Apparently, way back when, there were 'Galleries as frequent as barber shops and saloons on the Avenues, where folks could lay down a few coins to shoot one of these -- mostly, from what I have been told, .22 Short ammo... What pre-dated video game shops?
    Anyhoos -- both sons put many boxes of ammo through it, as have I -- and I cannot recall a single malfunction or failure to fire! Your are MOST correct: Pumps are indeed fun!
    geo
    Yup, I was at shooting galleries where they had pumps of various types shooting shorts. My '06 was "shorts only" indicating that it too was a gallery gun. Although it probably had many many thousands of rounds through it, it still shot well...that is until my stupid brother stuck the barrel in a mud puddle and pulled the trigger "to see what would happen" It put a hairline crack in the crown. It never shot well again.

My dream pump .22 is a Remington 12C octagon barrel, crescent buttplate, ivory bead and period receiver sight. I could have had one a few times at the money a nice deer rifle cost - but I balked in my youthful ignorance. I’ve had two 1906 Winchesters and they are Tanks- like 1897 Winchester shotguns!

I only have 2 pump 22s now. A 62 and 61 Wins, both in 95% condition. I actually like the 62 better but the 61 is deadly off hand. I think it’s all in the trigger. Also have 2 centerfire pumps, 14 & 141 Rems, both 35cal. I had a dozen more pumps mostly 22s that I’ve sold thinning down the collection. I’m letting go the safe queens to keep shooters. These old pumps can’t be compared with newer junk. My favorite deer rifle is over 100yrs old.
    There will be very few people saying that 100yrs from now with today’s excuses for firearms.

Boolit Buddy
    those old 14 and 141's are nice and well made guns. I shoot a 141 in 35 rem. and it never lets me down. bought is cheap years ago cause it needed a crown, someone must have let it sent on a wet carpet in a truck or something. will never get rid of it.
    Barry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast