Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Ahrends Grips refinish Part I

Boolit Master

Ahrends Grips refinish Part I

Since the widespread school closures due to this Coronavirus has me sitting home for awhile, I figured it was time for a project.

The recent news about Kim Ahrends closing shop prompted me to order a set of Retro Targets for my new to me 27-2 nickel. I have a set on my M17 and I LOVE them.

I ordered a set of Caribbean Rosewood stocks, and even though there was a photo, the grips were much pinker than they looked in the picture I saw. Plus, the one thing I DON"T like about Ahrends grips are his standard finish. Its like the water based poly on the wood trim on my windows.

Here is what they look like as received

So I started stripping them, a Hardware store type paint stripper peeled the finish right off. I am a scraper more than a sander. That Boker knife is SHARP, and I scraped the residual finish off fairly easily.

Very minimal sanding followed, really just to sort of roughen and open up the pores on the wood surface. I really just barely kissed them with 220 and 320 grit paper.

And I very sublty roulded off the bottom corner. Mr. Ahrends likes sharp edges!

I then hit them with a coat of Art's French Red stain and filler, which I think gives them a pleasing chocolaty not TOO dark brown hue.

Part II will follow. I plan on doing a hand rubbed tung oil finish, sanding the first few coats in so that the wood dust/oil sludge fills up the pores. I've done a lot of those, they always turn out nice.

I'll post pics when they're done.
    Last edited by Patrick L; 03-19-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll be watching for the next part.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking good.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I order all my Ahrend's grip unfinished. The first thing I do with the Retro Targets (my personal favorite) is do some sanding both above and below the grip screw hole so as to induce a palm swell. And, I must say, it turns out swell.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Groan.

But the grip look good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    I order all my Ahrend's grip unfinished. The first thing I do with the Retro Targets (my personal favorite) is do some sanding both above and below the grip screw hole so as to induce a palm swell. And, I must say, it turns out swell.

Don
    I did try about a year ago to order an unfinished set (the walnut ones on my K22 were ordered unfinished, but about 5-6 years ago) but ended up cancelling the order because it dragged on for months. I feel bad now that I know what the problem was. So I got these finished because they were available.

Boolit Master
    Minwax has a color called Gunstock that l am fond of.