RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionPBcastcoReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crock pot raccoon

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    People also consider lobster and shrimp great eating as they don't know their function in the ocean.
    Saltwater Cockroaches?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    People also consider lobster and shrimp great eating as they don't know their function in the ocean.
    I like lobster, don't eat it very often. It's really the only shell fish I'll eat, can't do shrimp. Anything that looks that much like a bug is off the menu.

Boolit Master
    I developed a shrimp allergy as I got older, it happens to most of the men in the family. I loved the little buggers until then. Crawfish is ok. Lobster is just a big overpriced crawfish. Crab I'm ok on. I'd rather have fried catfish or alligator. I won't eat a raw oyster or a big snail neither.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    limb chicken=squirrel I was told branch turkeys are Iguanas in Florida is that correct?
    Them branch turkeys are some good eating also. Those hind legs are just like a drumb stick. They kind of taste more like chicken than turkey though.
    Last edited by Cheeto303; 03-19-2020 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Buddy
    I ate coon when I was a kid. We were dirt poor.

When I was a kid, I ran a small trap line. I skinned a few possums. Not gonna eat one.

One wild meat that I do like is porky pine.

Years ago we were eating deep fried oysters. My wife asked me how did they pack those things with spinach.
    When I told her that it was not spinach, she spit it out and refuses to eat them any more.

Take care
    Abenaki

Quote Originally Posted by Abenaki View Post
    My wife asked me how did they pack those things with spinach.
    When I told her that it was not spinach, she spit it out and refuses to eat them any more.
    That's funny.

I try different recipes and things once in awhile.

Something I'd heard about, but never ate was beef tongue.
    So, one day, I saw them at the store and bought a couple. I fixed 'em, it wasn't bad.

The next day I took some to work.
    One of the guys was eating it, chewing away, said he liked it, and asked what it was.

I told him, and in mid-chew, he unloaded it right there in the trash.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    When famine hits you will eat things you never dreamed of. That is why Chinese cuisine has some of the strangest things. Who would eat a rotten black egg or fermented shank. My daughter who is a chef has gotten into urban foraging. She says there is an is untold amount of edible thing even in city parks. you just have to know which ones are tasty and which ones will make you sick. Knowledge or ignorance are keys to survival.

Banned

send all those ugly lobsters, shrimp and crawfish this way. Ill hold my nose and eat them!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My third cousin and his wife I considered grandparents use to make it all the time in the late 70’s and early 80’s when I was a kid. They were big into coon hunting and always had a nonstop crockpot full every fall. It always had a pretty strong taste but I ate it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-28-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master

My dad used to tell of fishing in Lake Charles before WWII and giving gar he caught to an old guy fishing next to him. A couple of days later, he's back there and the old fella walks up and gives Dad a small brown paper bag with what looked like hushpuppies in it. Dad tried one and told the fella that was some of the best eats. Gar Balls. My oldest grandson was fishing with friends and called and asked if I wanted a gar. Told him, sure. He brought it home and I cleaned it. Made a cut along the spine and used tin snips to cut through the hide. Fileted it, so I didn't have to mess with the guts. Poached the filets, made mashed potatoes and added fresh garlic and green onions along with cajun seasoning and beaten eggs. Mixed everything up, rolled into 2 inch balls and rolled in seasoned cornmeal. Fried those babies up, and Gar Balls! Pretty tasty eats, as Dad would say.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    My dad used to tell of fishing in Lake Charles before WWII and giving gar he caught to an old guy fishing next to him. A couple of days later, he's back there and the old fella walks up and gives Dad a small brown paper bag with what looked like hushpuppies in it. Dad tried one and told the fella that was some of the best eats. Gar Balls. My oldest grandson was fishing with friends and called and asked if I wanted a gar. Told him, sure. He brought it home and I cleaned it. Made a cut along the spine and used tin snips to cut through the hide. Fileted it, so I didn't have to mess with the guts. Poached the filets, made mashed potatoes and added fresh garlic and green onions along with cajun seasoning and beaten eggs. Mixed everything up, rolled into 2 inch balls and rolled in seasoned cornmeal. Fried those babies up, and Gar Balls! Pretty tasty eats, as Dad would say.
    2 inches,Wow!Must have been some mighty big gar..I have heard of mountain oysters,but this takes the cake!

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    2 inches,Wow!Must have been some mighty big gar..I have heard of mountain oysters,but this takes the cake!
    They get big. If you set about it, getting one over 40-50 pounds isn't that hard.
    Also there are a few different kinds, some never seem to get more than about 12-15.
    State record alligator gar is around a hundred.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

FYI, it was over 3 feet long, not sure its weight. I got about 3 lbs of filet off it, and didn't worry about getting close to the bone.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I eat coon and make sure you remove the fat and glands that is what will make it not be good to eat. I also grind up some with beaver meat . good eating there for burgers mix in what you like with it and use for what you would use ground meat for and meat loaf . I eat sea foods all type . and crayfish . beside all type of fish. Just pickle some red horse suckers and white suckers . I eat muskrat also. and possum. It is all depend how it is all fix.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12