RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot - subsonic 30-30 loads

I love it! I have used Red Dot in all my rifle cartridges (except for the new 350LGD) but have used a little more, closer to 'The Load' type weights. I admit that I have not done the research on this but are there any concerns about detonation with Red Dot at very small loads in large cartridges?

I've enjoyed low velocity loads in both my 30/30 and 45/70. Have never pre-positioned my powder. Nor have I found that a magnum primer is any better than a standard primer. What I would like to find are some heavy .311 boolits, 190gr or 200gr. I don't cast but purchase. I sold both my Marlins, now have a Henry and it much prefers a .311 bullet. .310 not too bad but .309 you need to paper patch. I'm to old for that project. Plumbers Teflon tape isn't too bad if you are really carefull.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    I've enjoyed low velocity loads in both my 30/30 and 45/70.....
    What load did you use in the 4570? My wife refuses to shoot it due to the recoil, a reduced load sure would be nice.

Great info. Thanks for posting.

ETA: I use that load myself, with no special accuracy techniques used in loading, and get around 3/4” groups at 50 yards. (2 holes touching, one slightly away. Scoped Marlin 336, from a bench, using Hunter Supply 165 grain gas check boolits.
    Last edited by scattershot; 03-19-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    What load did you use in the 4570? My wife refuses to shoot it due to the recoil, a reduced load sure would be nice.
    I shot some .45-70s yesterday with some cast bullets that weighed about 340 grains and 12 grains of Unique. Shot better than I can at 100 yards and recoil was very mild.

If you're looking for 190+gr 30-30 .311 cast bullets, check out Hunter's Supply. Prices are very reasonble...made even better by FREE SHIPPING.
    Last edited by Terminatorret; 03-19-2020 at 10:49 AM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Thanks for the information , I don't use the 30 WCF near as much as I should but I make up for that by using gallery loads in the .223 and 30-06 .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had excellent luck with my 30-30s - Winky 94 and Marlin 336SC - with Red Dot. I tried a few other powders but still kept going back to RD - light loads - I don't have my data sheets here with me in AZ, but less that you int as far as load. I uses everything - 90 gr, 115 gr - etc. up to 150 grain boolits - alox and paste wax tumble lubed - never any leading issues and while most of my shooting was at 25 yards - 50 yards dud to the limitations of where I was shooting, my groups were always good for me and my eyesight - I'm sure others could have done better. I sold the Winchester and Marlin as I thinned things out and will eventually find another 30-30 when I have time to look to shoot withth reduced loads. I passed on a Savage like yours a few years back and ache kicked myself ever since - nice little rifles. I did keep all of my 30-30 things - dies, brass, etc. so I have a legitimate excuse to get another 30-30! I love that cartridge!

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I shot some .45-70s yesterday with some cast bullets that weighed about 340 grains and 12 grains of Unique. Shot better than I can at 100 yards and recoil was very mild.
    I don't have any Unique, I don't care for it. Any experience with Red Dot loads in the 4570?

I've shot quite a few of these kind of loads in different calibers . I've mainly used Bullseye and W231 as Reddot don't meter well for me in my measure . All three work well in about the same loading range 4.5-6 grs with normal weight cast bullets .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    Thank you, this is exactly how a test like this should be presented. You gave ALL the info needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    I've shot quite a few of these kind of loads in different calibers . I've mainly used Bullseye and W231 as Reddot don't meter well for me in my measure . All three work well in about the same loading range 4.5-6 grs with normal weight cast bullets .
    Nice! Ill start at 4.5 and see what the groups are like.

Boolit Bub
    I do have one question, did you use a filler? How did you manage such low deviations? Did you weigh each powder charge? Hmm, one ?, guess I cant count.

Quote Originally Posted by relic View Post
    I do have one question, did you use a filler? How did you manage such low deviations? Did you weigh each powder charge? Hmm, one ?, guess I cant count.
    There is a gun shop where I used to live and they have an exploded lever action on the wall above the reloading section with a sign above it that says "Filler is the Killer". I am sure there are a LOT of guys and gals here that can explain the pressure wave and all that stuff but I wont load if I have to fill the case.

Quote Originally Posted by relic View Post
    No filler, no tipping the barrel upwards. I used a vintage Redding manual scale and did weigh each charge individually...some of them twice when I discovered that I had inadvertanly bumped the small counterpoise off my 6.1 grain setting.
    Time consuming? Yes, but I'm getting faster. However, since the nation is on quarantine lockdown, I have the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Terminatorret View Post
    No filler, no tipping the barrel upwards. I used a vintage Redding manual scale and did weigh each charge individually...some of them twice when I discovered that I had inadvertanly bumped the small counterpoise off my 6.1 grain setting.
    Time consuming? Yes, but I'm getting faster. However, since the nation is on quarantine lockdown, I have the time!
    Thank you once again, I get to work from home tomorrow and will give this a shot!

Terminatorret - thanks, I may give them a try. Dapati - the gmdr low velocity web site is your friend for the 45/70, 30/30 and many more. You need to use slow, safe, carefull loading practices. I also weigh each load separately on a beam. I now use an older Pacific/ Hornady, the notches on the beam are deeper than Lyman or RCBS so the counterpoise doesn't slip off as easily. Not being too clumsy sure helps.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Terminatorret - thanks, I may give them a try. Dapati - the gmdr low velocity web site is your friend for the 45/70, 30/30 and many more. You need to use slow, safe, carefull loading practices. I also weigh each load separately on a beam. I now use an older Pacific/ Hornady, the notches on the beam are deeper than Lyman or RCBS so the counterpoise doesn't slip off as easily. Not being too clumsy sure helps.
    Gumbo, that site is perfect for my needs, thank you. 9-13gr is my Huckleberry!

Banned

There is a sticky about the use of fillers that Larry Gibson outlines what is and isn't good to do. That said, for these light loads of fast powders, fillers would be a bad idea, but they have their place.

Boolit Master

I use a 150 gr. Loverin design with a gas check for my light .30-30 loads. Very accurate bullet. I haven't loaded that light, but I'll give it a try. I might also try the 240 gr boat tail that I cast for the .300 BLK. That should work well in a long barrel at subsonic velocities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast