WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1849 Pocket? Trigger Spring

Colt 1849 Pocket? Trigger Spring

Hello all I haven't been around here in awhile but I've still been casting, loading, and shooting. I inherited what I believe to be a reproduction Colt 1849 pocket. Can't seem to find anything but the 1849 pocket that it matches. The only markings on it ar "Made in Italy" .31 caliber, some Italian proof marks, and a 1969 date code. I don't know if it's a Uberti, a Pietta, or some other maker considering it's not marked. No import markings either. I have clue where my grandfather got it or what the story is on it. I have several other BP revolvers, and rifles and I'd like to shoot this thing. I already slugged the barrel and got a mold. But it has a broken trigger spring. The arm of the spring that works the trigger is fine but the leg that works the cylinder bolt is snapped off. I ordered a spring for an 1849 pocket from VTI gun parts but it's too small. The leg for the trigger is betweent 1/8"-3/16" too short. So I'm wondering if it's possible they just used a full size spring such as that from a 1851 Navy? Or is it more likely that it's some oddball size I won't be able to find? I have a Pietta 1851 Navy but haven't worked up the motivation to pull it apart and see if the spring is the same. If anyone knows anything about these and possibly has an answer it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the revolver in question.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry, but I can't help you out. You might just have to make it yourself. It's amazing what you can make with a file and a Dremel. good luck.

6" barrel?
    That looks like a nice shooter.

Check with Dixie Gun Works. They very likely have a replacement spring.

At the price ... try both Uberti and Pietta springs for the 49 pocket.

Which spring did you buy that is too short? I bet it was a Uberti spring if it is too short.

Boolit Master
    I have a pocket navy in 36Cal (the stepped cylinder one) made a trigger / bolt spring for it from a piece of alarm clock spring - didnt think I had the skill required to temper a spring so I drilled the screw hole with a diamond burr and shaped the spring with a cutoff wheel in the dremel - still working fine!

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I have a pocket navy in 36Cal (the stepped cylinder one) made a trigger / bolt spring for it from a piece of alarm clock spring - didnt think I had the skill required to temper a spring so I drilled the screw hole with a diamond burr and shaped the spring with a cutoff wheel in the dremel - still working fine!
    That's my thing I'm sure I could cut one out of something but correctly tempering it would be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    At the price ... try both Uberti and Pietta springs for the 49 pocket.

Which spring did you buy that is too short? I bet it was a Uberti spring if it is too short.
    I'll have to go back and check but I'm pretty sure it was a reproduction for the original. On second thought I should have known that probably wouldn't work but I figured it was worth a try. I tried to order one for a Uberti awhile back but it was out of stock everywhere. Taylor's said 6 weeks and it's been on backorder through them for over 4 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    6" barrel?
    That looks like a nice shooter.
    I'd have to measure it but it's definately in the 5"-6" range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post

I inherited what I believe to be a reproduction Colt 1849 pocket.

The only markings on it ar "Made in Italy" .31 caliber, some Italian proof marks, and a 1969 date code.

I don't know if it's a Uberti, a Pietta, or some other maker considering it's not marked.

No import markings either.
    I'm mis-remembring the year, but before the requirement for a gun to be marked with it's country of origin and/or import marks, there was no requirement for any such.

There should be, however, a "maker's marking" somewhere on your repro.

Here's the lowdown on Italian maker's markings: http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

There is nothing in picture for scale. What makes it a 49' 31cal?

In Remembrance
    For a quick "fix" you can use an ordinary safety pin. They come in enough sizes that you should be able to find one that will work.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    When I don't have the correct size of spring stock on hand I've made those springs out of the end of a hacksaw blade. Cut off a piece longer than the longest leg of the old spring and grind to width keeping the hole in the end in the center. Slot with a dremel cut off wheel. Heat until red then let cool slowly. Shape the legs and cut to length. Suspend the new spring on a piece of wire and heat until red then dunk to cool in ATF. Pound a dent on the bottom of an empty can deep enough to hold the spring and cover with ATF. Take the can OUTSIDE and heat the can until the ATF starts to smoke vigorously and then ignite the ATF and let it burn off and let the spring cool. When cool clean your new spring and install. I've done a number of them this way and they all work well enough. New annealed spring stock of different sizes can be purchased from Brownells.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I would check out spring for small frame Colt SA 22 clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    The smaller size of the cylinder frame, compared to the almost normal size of the gripframe makes it either a .31cal 1849 or a .36cal 1862 Pocket.

The .36 Pockets have a rebated cylinder for the larger caliber, the 1849 has a non-rebated cylinder like the OP's gun.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I'm mis-remembring the year, but before the requirement for a gun to be marked with it's country of origin and/or import marks, there was no requirement for any such.

There should be, however, a "maker's marking" somewhere on your repro.

Here's the lowdown on Italian maker's markings: http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

Thanks I'll definately check that out. I think the GCA of 1968 required import marks and serial numbers. Which is strange as this has a 1969 date code, though that may not have applied to blackpowder guns right away or their may have been a grace period.

Well the fact that it's .31 caliber makes it .31 caliber. Also while looking up .31 caliber cap and ball revolvers the 1849 pocked was the only thing I could find that looked similar and was similar size.

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    For a quick "fix" you can use an ordinary safety pin. They come in enough sizes that you should be able to find one that will work.
    Interesting. I never would have thought of that.

Boolit Master
    Its got a round barrel - so its a baby dragoon
    The later pocket navy - had an octagonal barrel

31 cal is 31 cal .................straight cylinder
    36 cal (pocket models) had stepped cylinder

Boolit Master
    Maybe look under loading lever on bottom of barrel, DGG?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast