MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Remington

Boolit Man

Remington

I hope this is the right place to post this. I bought a Euro Arms Replica of a Remington percussion revolver, Years ago at a gun show. It looks to be in real good shape. Lately I've thought I might shoot it, and have bought Pyrodex and caps, as I already had a couple boxes of Hornady balls, 451 & ,.454. My question is this, How large should the flash holes in the nipples be? They gage at about .081 which seems kind of large. for what its worth this gun seems to have an awful strong main spring.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Boolit Master
    Put a cap on a nipple (if it has to be pushed down, and doesn't fit all the way on, it's too small; if it is loose, pinch it on) and fire it off. Nothing wrong with a strong mainspring - a weak one can be a problem. If the nipple flash holes are uniformly sized, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Have you taken the gun apart to check (and clean) the internals?

Boolit Man
    No I haven't taken it apart. I've had the grips and trigger guard off and from what I can see, it appears pretty clean. I understand about a weak mainspring. The holes are uniform, but I was worried that they might be to large and allow too much blow back. The gun has been shot, but things appear pretty much original, I reckon. I read in a Roy Dunlap book that flash holes should be about .028 or there abouts, that is what caused my concern. Battis, I appreciate you taking time to answer.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Boolit Master
    The screw down by your pinky on the grip will reduce spring tension on the hammer spring. Maybe back it out until it’s flush with the grip frame and see how that feels.

If those nipples really are .081" they should be replaced. That's a straight through hole, and sounds like somebody drilled them out. Get a new set of ampco nipples before you shoot it. They're not expensive and will be a lot safer.

Banned
    I'll also recommend changing to Ampco nipples. They are superior to the original style. The only problem I have is they sometimes require a #11 cap, depending on the brand of percussion cap.

Boolit Man
    They are .081 alright. Does anyone know what they should be? Where would I find Ampcos?

Boolit Master
    I bought Track of the Wolf (SS) nipples. Basically the same thing, but mine were cheaper.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    I bought Track of the Wolf (SS) nipples. Basically the same thing, but mine were cheaper.
    Rodwha, who sells them? Cheap is one of my favorite things.

Boolit Master
    Track of the Wolf.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Initially they were $1 cheaper each so the set of six were virtually sent for free as the savings nearly paid it. Later someone pointed out Ampcos could be found at a good price elsewhere. I didn’t search high and low.

The TotW nipples are designed internally just like the Ampcos. Mine were said to use CCI #11’s. What I found that meant was the standard non magnum variety which I can’t find except for online in a pack of 10 tins. However Rem #10’s fit perfectly.

Boolit Man
    Rodwha, again thanks for the info. I admit I am a little hesitant to tackle this thing, because the nipples have probably been installed since 1972, (date of mfg.) Do you reckon I should soak the thing with penetrating oil for a few days?

I'd hold the cylinder in a padded vise and make sure I had a good fitting, quality nipple wrench to remove them. Might come right out, you don't know until you give it a good try.

Boolit Master
    ^

That’s what I’d try, but oil wouldn’t hurt.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    If those nipples really are .081" they should be replaced. That's a straight through hole, and sounds like somebody drilled them out. Get a new set of ampco nipples before you shoot it. They're not expensive and will be a lot safer.
    Aw yes, I replied that they definitely were .081. Well it hurts to admit it, but they ain't. They came out real easy, in fact I didn't even use a vice. Just the cylinder in one hand and wrench in the other. It was then I noticed that the hole on the forward end was a lot smaller than hole on the outside, in fact a .049 drill shank will just enter it. Makes me feel like a real Idiot. I want to thank every one for their advice. I have emailed TOW to inquire as to the I.D. of their nipples. If mine are close I will us them, otherwise I will order a new set. I think I would like S.S., for its heat resistance.

Glad to hear you got them out. .049" still is too big, a fresh set will most certainly improve performance. They're not expensive, you'll be glad you replaced them in the end. SS will work fine, they just don't last as long as the Ampco bronze ones. Just depends on how much you shoot.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Glad to hear you got them out. .049" still is too big, a fresh set will most certainly improve performance. They're not expensive, you'll be glad you replaced them in the end. SS will work fine, they just don't last as long as the Ampco bronze ones. Just depends on how much you shoot.
    Thanks much, I just ordered a set of ampcos from buffalo arms, they were the only ones who listed a set specifically for the Euro Arms. I hope they fit.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaseous Maximus View Post
    Aw yes, I replied that they definitely were .081. Well it hurts to admit it, but they ain't. They came out real easy, in fact I didn't even use a vice. Just the cylinder in one hand and wrench in the other. It was then I noticed that the hole on the forward end was a lot smaller than hole on the outside, in fact a .049 drill shank will just enter it. Makes me feel like a real Idiot. I want to thank every one for their advice. I have emailed TOW to inquire as to the I.D. of their nipples. If mine are close I will us them, otherwise I will order a new set. I think I would like S.S., for its heat resistance.
    We learn from mistakes don’t we? I’m with @nobade .049 is at least .025 too big. And if the Track cones fit the Remington #10 caps you’re a winner. All of my cap guns are set up for Remington 10’s.