Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Label Lube Differences

Boolit Master

White Label Lube Differences

Looking through my inventory this morning. I only have a small amount of 2500 in the Lyman 450. There are two sticks of Carnabuna Red on the shelf, though. I've only used 2500 for the 45/70 and now I am ready to lube for the 35 Whelen. I suspect CR is perfectly fine for shot from 1800 to 2300 fps out of the midbore. Suppose what the question is will CR be too stiff for the 45/70 and change the dynamics of the POI and accuracy if I interchange it with 2500? Glen's product is much better than the old factory lube in my box but I do not have the experience with his different types to know if I need to be religious in using one lube for the Marlin and swap out for the Mauser.
    If it is best to reorder 2500 for both then that is what I'll do. I'm a KISS kind of guy. As Dad would say, "Consistency is the key to accuracy." Those of you with more field knowledge than book knowledge (me) on this subject are a valuable source of information and I appreciate what you have to offer.

Boolit Master

I have settled on 2700+ or CR for every thing I still lube. For my go fasts like 22 TCM, 22 Fireball and 223 I have converted to powder coating. I really like CR, but depending upon where you are it may take some heat to apply.

Moderator Emeritus

Suppose what the question is will CR be too stiff for the 45/70 and change the dynamics of the POI and accuracy if I interchange it with 2500?
    I am gonna offer my opinion, since I suspect it's unlikely that another member has done POI/Accuracy with those two specific lubes.

There are many factors involved with POI and Accuracy. I would think that a change of lube would be far down that list of problems.
    With that said, Many of WLL's have xlox/alox in them, 2500 does...BUT, I believe CR does NOT have any xlox/alox. So since it is a much different type lube, it may very well have more of an effect than switching between two different lubes that both have alox as an ingredient.

I have used CR and I like it, I wouldn't think it is too stiff for 45/70, unless you are loading the Holy Black. The one downside to CR is, it is known for throwing a cold barrel flier when the ambient temperature is below 40ºF.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have not used Carnuba Red, but rather Carnuba Blue, which for me still requires a little heat. I've found it to be an excellent lube. Regarding cold barrel fliers I have experienced this, but only from a clean barrel, and this is true of all lubes it seems. If it is unique to CB I do not know. All I know is if I want really good first shot performance a fouling shot needs to be done within 24 hours or so of when you anticipate taking a shot. I leave the barrel fouled pretty much though the hunting season, so I will often use 10 rounds or so through a season just doing fouling shots. This problem is very noticeable in muzzloaders using the unholy black.

I'm down to my last stick of LBT Blue and am thinking of giving WLL a try. I have been using LBT Blue and wonder witch would be the most like it CR or CB.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master

I use BAC for everything that is not PC'd. From about 650fps in LIGHT handgun loads to medium - heavy rifle, .30-06 at 2100fps with old Lyman #311413. Get slight leading in My M1917 & none in My Rem 700.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Super Moderator

I am now using 2500+ for everything, rifle and pistol. I was using BAC for pistol only, but it's easier just to keep one lube on hand. Honestly, I think the 2500 keeps the bore cleaner than the carnuba blends.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies. I have 5 more sticks of 2500 on the way. Good to know it is a fine lube for multiple purposes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    I'm down to my last stick of LBT Blue and am thinking of giving WLL a try. I have been using LBT Blue and wonder witch would be the most like it CR or CB.
    your a smart man to leave LBT.He can no longer be trusted.He is no longer making LBT Blue that's what I ordered. He is shipping LBT Soft. I shoot local cast bullet matches. Shot my long range 30BR pistol yday and its nothing like it was. Back to the drawing board.SMDH

Is the 2500 alox based? I think I will try that next as CB seems stiffer than it needs to be for most of the stuff I do. I says xlox on the bag. My observation of all alox based lubes is they are dirty/smokey.

I have a lubeamatic and it is an enormous PAIN to switch lubes so I like something that will work for everything from rifles to handguns.

But if 2500 will keep a 30-30 or 30-40 or similar clean then I'll go for that.

Boolit Master
    Yes, 2500 is alox based. White Label has to use the word Xlox to keep from infringing on the copyrighted Alox name, but that is what it is.
    I've shot many hundreds of 45/70 rounds lubed with 2500 and don't really recall smoke out of the 1895 Cowboy.

Banner Sponsor

I didn't like how soft and sticky 50-50 was, so I started adding more and more wax to the mix until it got to where I like it. there is also some of the ingredients from Carnauba Red in the mix, and that is how 2500+ was born.
    Yes it has Alox in it, but much less than 50-50.
    It will work for a wide range of applications, 38 special to 500 S&W, 30-30 to 470NE. It has also been pushed over 3000fps in a 16 twist 30 cal.
    2500+ usually turns in the best accuracy out of any of my lubes, and will be right at home in your 30-30 and 30-40.

Glenn.

Did LBT Blue have xlox/alox in it ?
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Moderator Emeritus

LBT Blue is proprietary...only one old guy knows what's in it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Late to this party and thanks to all who have tossed in their information and experiences. I'm seriously considering buying from White Label since the micro wax parts of SL-series lubes are sold in bigger chunks ($$$) than I'm willing to bite into, and there is little interest in group buys. I also wanted to avoid the crash-cooling challenges of the SL varieties using the holy beeswax.

SO, with my most important factor being accuracy from .38 SPCL and .45 ACP through .30 Carbine, and possible other applications most likely topping out at 2,100 FPS, do your experiences with WL 2500 also show it gives the best accuracy like LAR45 reports? A rifle testing report from a few years ago was a bit surprising but did not include enough different guns and calibers for me to want to bet my next 2,000 bullets on only those results.

Thanks!

Banner Sponsor

If you are going to be shooting at an indoor range, I would suggest Carnauba Blue over the 2500+ as the small amount of Alox in 2500 can smoke a little bit sometimes.

Boolit Bub
    I melt my lube in a double boiler and fill both my lubers, just pour it in. I usually melt 2 sticks of BAC and one stick of CR. A little harder than BAC and a little softer than CR. Seems to flow good thru the lubers at room temp. No smoke and no leading in hand guns and medium velocity rifle.

Back to the original post question..

If you haven't read Veral's book 'Jacketed performance with Cast' I would highly suggest you get you hands on a copy and read it.

Changing lude only in a load you probably will have a point of impact change and you can, Veral says probably, a change in chamber pressure.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Late this past fall switch out CR for 2500 just to give it try since I had 2 sticks and I haven’t notice any change other than some smoke from 2500 , here soon I’m planning on stocking up and I trying to decide between the 2 . I’ve run both from light 357mag to 7mm-08 ( around 1900fps ) with good results . I’ve used CR in 38 special and 9mm as well with good results .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    I use CR with everything from 9mm/38 Spl. up to and including, 338W Magnum. It does require a heater. Both my Star and LAM are filled with CR.

Winelover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast