Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Would like to get into swaging bullets... help a new guy get started?

Boolit Buddy

Would like to get into swaging bullets... help a new guy get started?

I have searched the threads and stickies but most are so old that the equipment isn’t even being made anymore.

My initial goal is to make 45 cal bullets for 45 colt, 454 casull, 460 S&W.

What equipment do I need to get started that won’t break the bank.

Boolit Master
    Look up mannyca on YouTube. He has several videos from about 4 years ago on using a .308 sizing die to seat cores and expand 40 S&W brass, then m243 sizing die to point form .451 bullets. This is what I'm using now. Many I'll invest in a set from BTsniper later.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Look up mannyca on YouTube. He has several videos from about 4 years ago on using a .308 sizing die to seat cores and expand 40 S&W brass, then m243 sizing die to point form .451 bullets. This is what I'm using now. Many I'll invest in a set from BTsniper later.

Great info! Thanks. I will take a look.

Boolit Buddy
    To start look at BTSniper's dies here on the board. His dies are designed to be used in a strong reloading press so you won't need a dedicated swage press (assuming you have a strong reloading press already? ) He does do 45 caliber so he should be able to get you going. But if you want to jump in with both feet you can go with Corbin dies and press and get almost any design bullet you want to make as well as jacket making dies and a host of different nose punches BUT be prepared to spend a large chunk of coin. (Don't get me wrong they are good dies and presses but you are paying a premium for them.)

Boolit Buddy
    Corbin too expensive. I think I will setup my Iron Press for dedicated swaging.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - Corbin's pricey but the loooong term way to go if you can afford it. Once setup, there are LOTTSA diemakers on this forum who can make all the dies ya'll want...
    HAVE PHUN SWAGING!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by gonra View Post
    gonra sez - corbin's pricey but the loooong term way to go if you can afford it. Once setup, there are lottsa diemakers on this forum who can make all the dies ya'll want...
    Have phun swaging!
    lottsa??

In Remembrance

There is not many "cheap" options for getting into swaging bullets.
    While a used RockChucker (that's the option I use) might be cheap, the add on's are expensive.
    Custom ram, die sets, core molds, etc......
    The swaging of bullets is NOT inexpensive as cast lead bullets are. But, don't think of swaged bullets as a direct substitute for normal cast lead bullets.

If you need or want a jacket on the bullet, spend the money and get what you need for swaging.

However, if you don't really need the nature of a jacketed bullet, get into or keep casting. Cast Lead bullets will otherwise serve you well....

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Banned
    Then there’s Blackmon’s Swaging Supply Press. His press is relatively cheap compared to the Corbin’s. I haven’t use it personally. But I’d imagine you would be getting the bang for your buck. I thought about getting one from him myself but bumped into a deal with someone with a Sea Girt press a while back and never look back. And then Mr.Richard Corbin retired last year, and all my hopes were crushed as I wanted to get his famous Walnut Hill press...then as if my prayers were answered, found a Walnut Hill on an online ad, the best part...it was local and did I say it was “steal” at that?

Boolit Bub
    I have had very good luck with BSSP press and dies for .224 only. When I wasnt so busy I had talked to him about 7mm dies but started working out of town a lot and never pulled the trigger.

Boolit Master
    Check out this thread. castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132795-My-home-made-45-cal-swaging-dies

If you are making pitsol bullets I do not see a need to pay for swage dies when you can get by with reloading dies. It seems to me a gent by the name of Danr posted sizes of releoading dies that could be used for swaging. I would suggest looking into using reloading dies to make pistol bullets.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor