Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winchester 1876 in .50-95, Who has one?

Boolit Buddy
    Geez, thanks for reviving this thread, and reminding me I still don't have a 76 in 50-95.
    Let me help you out:

Look at that hole in the end of the barrel, the sight of that cavernous opening bearing down on man or beast would cause either to lose all hope and just give up.

Every levergun man rates a ‘76.

There is one on gunbroker right now, but its a Chappy, and I've heard too many horror stories about the build quality of the Chappies. Outside they look great, inside, pure garbage. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but seems most are not.

Boolit Master
    I've got an Uberti shoots quite well using Accurate's 51-350T. I crimp at the top groove and use 5744. Feeding and function are great.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCDoktor View Post
    I have two reproduction 1876’s chambered for 50/95 WCF.

One is a Chaparral carbine and the other is a Uberti Presidio carbine and both are an extreme pleasure to shoot.

Both the Uberti and Chaparral group extremely well with my handloads which launch a 350 flat point bullet at 1450 FPS using a stiff charge of H4198 and standard rifle primers.

This is an 75 yard group with the Presidio using the above mentioned load.

And here’s a hundred yard group with the Chaparral (again using H4198 and a 350 grain flat point boolit).

I have experimented with boolits up to 450 grains in the Chaparral and they too shoot very good groups albeit about 12” lower than the 350 grain projectiles.

This is a 100 yard group from the Chaparral fired using some .515 450 grain boolits meant for the 50/70 govt using H4831 as well.

The POI was so low I had to hold well above the steel cross bar on my target frame to hit the steel.

As you can see, these reproductions chambered in 50/95 wcf can be made to shoot extremely well.

With regards to hunting and the 50/95’s performance on game, I’ve had neither of mine in the field so I can’t speak specifically to that concern.

That said, having taken game with cartridges having similar performance I would have complete confidence using the 50/95 cartridge on any North American game within the limits of my shooting skill.
    I really have to try and find a reason not to order one of those Presdio's. Every time I see one I get faint, I want to play around with the .50-95 and that gun just calls to me.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master

Same thing happened to me - I'm a sucker for short rifles. There's one in the barn now . . . I just had Accurate make me a new mold, but have not tried it yet. 51-348E
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Same thing happened to me - I'm a sucker for short rifles. There's one in the barn now . . . I just had Accurate make me a new mold, but have not tried it yet. 51-348E
    ARRRRRGGGGGHHH - I wish you blokes would stop tormenting me like this --- already done a couple searches for 50 alaskan brass -- proly gonna have to ban meself from here for a month

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Busetti View Post
    I got my 50/95 about 10 years ago. I bought a Lyman 340 gr mold & sizer .512. I found right away the bullets shot much better when left as cast, .515. Opened up sizer die to .515. Rifle is an excellent shooter now. Found that RX7 & 5744 work best to give me the 1500 fps I wanted. The rifle I have is the Express rifle with 22" barrel.
    Bob which 50/95 variant did you get? It seems there are variations between the different models.

I can't believe I hadn't shown off in this thread! I got one! A Uberti Texas Ranger Presidio. So far, every day I plan for the range, it rain's. Still haven't gotten to shoot it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1876 Presidio  1-8-2021 6.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	280133

Name:	Uberti 1876's 1-17-21.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	280134

Boolit Grand Master

Hi we have 2 Chappy 1876 rifles and both are super ! Both were made after the first 1000 that were Iffy.
    One a 50-95 is 4xxx and a Canadian Monty model 45-60 3xxx. So just check serial #'s.
    I have heard of all companies having issues by the way. Even Freedom Arms has an issue off and on.
    So below is our 50-95. We did have a tang sight on it also. Cannot find the photo of the 76 Monty. But it is a full stock 22 inch barrel.
    Bought both 3 years apart from CDNN for under $600 delivered !! Bet you will pay double for just one.

Name:	50-95 close.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	280148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winchester 76 &73 #2 close.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	280149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chaparral 50-95.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	280150
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123