RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS universal decaping die. Fail

RCBS universal decaping die. Fail

Omg

I just got a rcbs universal recapping die as I'm trying deprime a bunch of old gueld 30-06 brass. And they keepbreaking pins like crazy.

So I got it the mail today and went gangbusters on and around round 50 snap.

Break the pin. Ok will baught 50 rcbs pins a while back so I can just swap it out right.

WRONG!

Rcbs has change the pin design.

Wth rcbs. You had a rock solid design but you went for money?

Photo of new pin design. I think I'm going to send it back to rcbs. As the only reason I bought it was quick cheap pins.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oh ho

And rcbs diant even stock the new pin styles. Will be making a call tomorrow

Boolit Master

RCBS has two different Universal de-cap dies. The "HD" is the one for 30-06 and the other for small cartridges like 223. The HD has a "Pow'r Punch" spring loaded decap assembly. Which one do you have? I have no issues de-capping crimped primers on large rifle cases with the HD, but I could see how the smaller tool could have issues. RCBS sent a standard de-cap assembly since the Pow'r Punch was launching primers when I was using the Summit press.

I likely have a few spares I could get to you.

Here is a pic. Left is the HD de-capper with the Pow'r Punch mechanism. Middle is the HD standard. Right is from the small caliber de-cap die. Yours looks like the light duty.

The right pin measures 2 thou less than the other 2. Unsure if that is an intentional difference or just manufacturing tolerances. I do have spares that should fit your assembly. I'd gladly get to you no charge.

Last edited by Taterhead; 03-18-2020 at 12:41 AM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Buddy
    I not familiar with that brand of brass, but I have found some others with off center flash holes that like to eat pins. And don't forget operator error when dirt & oil build up on the ram between the shell holder so nothing lines up right.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I am a RCBS guy but their (older, can't speak to the new style) decaping die is far down the list of my favorites. In this case the Lee decaper is a far superior product with the Lyman a close second. For the record I own all three.

Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    I not familiar with that brand of brass, but I have found some others with off center flash holes that like to eat pins. And don't forget operator error when dirt & oil build up on the ram between the shell holder so nothing lines up right.
    Ya I get that. I have pre cleaned all of the brass in a ultrasonic with a wash n dry.

They only brass I have issues with have the primer sealant on it. The red stuff.

I am using a universal just so I going only after the primer.

I'm more annoyed that the pin system is different.

As their is no indication that the pin system is different.

Hornady has gone to that style pin too, but it's a little different and its the only one that fits their dies.

I recently found out the Hornady pins are only $3. EACH !-- as opposed to RCBS ones the are $3.50 for 5.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-18-2020 at 03:14 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    I am a RCBS guy but their (older, can't speak to the new style) decaping die is far down the list of my favorites. In this case the Lee decaper is a far superior product with the Lyman a close second. For the record I own all three.
    I've also been happy with RCBS stuff but the Lee Universal Depriming die is the one to get. Its stronger and cheaper than most, maybe all of the others. My Sinclair die looks much nicer and was much more expensive and is not as stout.

Boolit Buddy
    Been using a Lee for years. Those little RCBS pins are only good if you inspect every piece of brass. Any issues, and broken. Someone makes an improved pin for Lee which is great....

But if you really want the perfect decap die, go with this one. It is amazing. Running my Revos with it. Somehow a bullet fell out of the MBF hopper and got stuck. Pin went straight through bullet. Had to pry off. Pin still works perfect.

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/f-...nter-decapper/

Boolit Master

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collect...or-all-presses

Best universal decapping die on the market.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

I think if I had that much trouble decapping, I'd go with a Lee Decapper and Base (https://leeprecision.com/decapper-base-30-caliber.html) and a mallet. I have a couple and all my Lee Loaders (7) use one and I never heard of anyone breaking one on a Boxer primed case...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Lightman put me onto the Lee, the only time I've broken one is on a 9mm case with a rock init.

Banned

I broke a new Lee last week. They are really soft. My RCBS has been going strong for 20 years. I bought a pack of pins when I got the RCBS die. Still have 3 of the pins left in all that time. Both were busted when I did not see a Berdan primer hole. I have made my own hole a few pieces of berdan brass on accident.

The Lee was busted on a F&S piece of 223 brass. It was even a boxer primed brass. But the hole was EXTREMELY small. Folded the pin right over.

Banned
    I use the Lee universal decapping die. Adjust it right and they slip but don't break. The only time I break them is with the occasional Berdan primed case when I get in a hurry. I save my broken lee parts until I have a few then send them to Lee for a free replacement (they pay for return shipping). It's been a while since my last shipment and I only have a couple of pins to send back

Boolit Buddy

Anyone try using the Dillon Universal Decapping Die?
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/univ...8_4_24510.html

Looks like it has a solid decapping pin.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I am not knocking RCBS -0 have presses and a number of die sets I like. When I first got in to reloading maybe fifteen or so years ago, I bought a Lee universal depriming die. I deprime all of my brass - I don't use the depriming pin/expnder in any of my FL bottneneck sizing dies and remove the depriming pin from all o f my pistol dies. I have deprived literally tens of thousands of casings with the Lee die - regular and crimped primers - and am still on the original depriming pin - but I did buy a couple of spares to have on hand. I'm not pushing Lee but I hate the dies (any band) that he the replacement pas like the RCBS - that's why I remove the depriming pin from my dies regardless of brand - I use expander dies to expand the mouths. The only dies I use that have the replacement pins are some of those in my Lyman 310 tong reloading sets. On the other hand - I just started reloading .223 and bought a set of Lee dies for doing them. I decided to leave he expander/depdriming pin in the FL die just to try it out - I had about 350 5.56 military cases hat a friend and I had picked up at the range and they had crimped primers - yep - about half way through I ran across a casing that evidently had an offset primer hole or some other problem and the depriming pin snapped right off. So I guess you never know other than to have spare pins on hand. Like my other dies the Lee 223 FL die in my set had now had the depriming/expander pin removed and I have a couple of different 223 expander die - a Lyman M die and a Lyman 310 expander die that I can use in press with a bushing to take care of internally sizing the casings. Seems like depriming military crimped brass can either be a beezee's or a royal PIA at times!

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Seems like depriming military crimped brass can either be a beezee's or a royal PIA at times!
    Yep. Years ago, I got 500, pull down, surplus, .30-06 Lake City Match brass.

I figured they'd be perfect.
    4-5 of them had offset primer holes too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had the same problem. Broke a RCBS pin, ordered replacements. They were the wrong type. Had to reorder the right ones. I cannibalized another RCBS die, to get going while waiting for the second type. I have a Lee universal too that I normally use.

Boolit Mold
    all of my RCBS dies are atleast 50 years old... and I love that I can still find pins. That being said, I still prefer my lee dies and their decapping pins. I love that they just slide out of the way if they encounter an obstruction.

Boolit Master

I too have had my share of problems with the RCBS decapping dies. However, my reloading equipment tends to be mostly green and I like it that way. I use my small universal decapping die almost 100% of the time when I begin reloading my used brass. I like some others do not decap as I size the case on most of my brass. After decapping I am able to run the deprimed cases through the vibrator for cleaning before putting the dirty brass into my full length sizing dies. I almost never use my HD universal decapping die unless I'm dealing with crimped in primers. I don't particularly like using it because as has been mentioned the spring loaded pin will launch the primers all over the place. It will however decap the crimped in primers you are having problems with. I think you should consider purchase of the HD universal depriming die if you intend to do a bunch of staked in primers. I think you will be happy with it.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast