Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionPBcastco
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lachmiller

Lachmiller

Who knows the Lachmiller presision case comparators? i have two one was incomplete when i got it at an estate sale several years ago, then recently i got one that was in the box. thus found out they had sleeves that were machined to fit the mast diameter and set the caliber length. i got three of these sleeves with the one in box in 300 win 270 and 30-06. My question is , WHO knows these tools and able and willing to make sleeves in other calibers?

Banned
    Lachmiller? I thought I knew every tool Lachmiller made, that's a new one on me.

Could I ask to see a picture of it, please?

Ken

Boolit Master
    I’m confused as well. Pics please.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

guys i dont have a photo share since photo bucket went wierd but i can msg a pic on my cellphone

Banned
    I re-read your first post. I have one of those with several sleeves and some home made sleeves. They look to have been made from conduit. I'll have to get it out to look, it's been years since I had it out.

Ken

If you have pics in your My pictures folder on your computer you can upload from there to here without any online sharing.
    Just below this box is a Go Advanced button. Follow this to another page, scroll down to Manage attachments, this brings up a window that lets you search your my pics folder. find the pic you want then upload. Might have to resize the pic to fit.
    I use this method on all the forums I read. Much more reliable than the online storage sites.
    Leo

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8725.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	258030

I have several pistol length tubes. This one came with a section of steel tubing, but it's a tiny fraction to small internally to slip over the shaft.
    Once a source of tubing is located then making the tubes is simple. Sourcing the tubing not so much.

Ken

pressman that's exactly the critter i were refering to. have you noticed that if you caliper the sleeve that it's 0.010" longer than book trim to length? i dont have a method of accurately cutting my own sleeves (no lathe). although when i got my second one that had sleeves with it in the following calibers(270, 30-06, and 300win)

Banned
    Hmm, I had not measured the sleave length. I do have a lathe that I plan on getting running sometime. That still leaves a source of tubing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlewolf View Post
    pressman that's exactly the critter i were refering to. have you noticed that if you caliper the sleeve that it's 0.010" longer than book trim to length?
    In general, book "trim to" length is an arbitrary 10 thou less than SAMMI's max case length. Meaning book "trim to" is a reasonable suggestion, not a hide bound standard.

That Lachmiller tool is a "snap gage", it was meant to tell the user if a case exceeds max length. Snap gages were about all reloaders had to check cases until imported dial calipers costs got down to where we plebs could afford them.

50 years ago a professional 6" dial caliper cost something like $30-$80 (equal to about $300 to $800 today!) but now we can buy excellent hobbiest grade (us) 6" dial and digital Chinese calipers from Harbor Freight for $10-12. Every reloader needs and surely can afford a decent caliper now so snap case gages are - so far as I know - off the market, and rightly so.

Boolit Man
    Lachmiller was bought by RCBS many years ago.

Boolit Master

Got an old Lachmiller primer seater bought in California in 1968. It uses RCBS punches as replacements for the original punches and bushings it came with. Still kicking after 50 years of use and abuse. Lachmiller made good stuff./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball View Post
    Lachmiller was bought by RCBS many years ago.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Got an old Lachmiller primer seater bought in California in 1968. It uses RCBS punches as replacements for the original punches and bushings it came with. Still kicking after 50 years of use and abuse. Lachmiller made good stuff./beagle
    I remember the “Good Old Days” when shooting in California was not a mortal sin and manufacture of good gun stuff was actually encouraged. Heck, even movie stars shot competitively and were not considered offbeat when they had nice gun collections and even talked about them openly. I wonder where they went so tragically wrong?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I remember the “Good Old Days” when shooting in California was not a mortal.... Heck, even movie stars shot competitively and were not considered offbeat when they had nice gun collections and even talked about them openly. I wonder where they went so tragically wrong?
    John Wayne died. So did Steve Mcqueen, Randolf Scott, Tex Ritter, etc. Both Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson are getting old.
    Meaning most of the movie stars with gonads bigger than BBs are gone.

We're left with mostly modern movie star girly-men who are really, really tuff guys .... when their script says so; otherwise, not so much.

California now goes where the PC movie stars go.
    Last edited by 1hole; 03-20-2020 at 07:12 PM.