Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: DPMS AR10, . . . Good? Bad? Ugly?

Boolit Buddy
    East central Minnesota. I can see Wisconsin from my house!!!

DPMS AR10, . . . Good? Bad? Ugly?

There is a DPMS AR10 (in .308) on the used rack at the LGS. It has a scope mounted and has one magazine.
    The price seems reasonable. To those who know, have these DPMS rifles garnered any reputation, either good or bad? Is the magazine proprietary? Would M14 mags fit?
    What is your experience?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
    Before you criticize another man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, . . . and you'll have his shoes.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    We have one in the family, great shooter!! Don’t know ability to use M14 mags though!! It will still lights out at 100 yds with Hornady SST 150 grainers!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I’ve got one. Never had a problem. Taken many deer with it.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Grand Master

The DPMS uses the original SR-25/ArmaLite AR-10 “Waffle” magazines type mags. M-14 Mags are not compatible. The type DPMS used has become the most common. I am not sure how many different mag types have been used but the Waffle type, the M-14 based and FN/FAL are the three that I am aware of. After the M110 was adopted the Waffle type has dominated the market.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ility-question

https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compa...ference-guide/

https://308ar.com/articles/ar-10a-versus-ar-10b/

The AR-10A family of ArmaLite® firearms is functionally identical to our AR-10B family. Operation, controls, and maintenance are the same. However, the AR-10A family is designed to accept early ArmaLite AR-10 “Waffle” magazines and good quality magazines copied from them, instead of ArmaLite’s proprietary aluminum magazines that are used in our AR-10B family. Neither family of firearms will function correctly with the other family’s magazines.

The AR-10B magazine is based on the magazine of the famed M-14 rifle. This magazine was adopted during the period of the “Assault Weapons Ban”, during which new Waffle magazines couldn’t be legally produced. The AR-10B magazine has proven to be as supremely successful in the AR-10B as its predecessor was in the M-14, and ArmaLite will continue to offer it.

We have tested, we recommend, and we ship polymer Magpul PMAG® 20LR magazines with our AR-10As. Other similar derivative magazines such as the KAC, M110, and DPMS / Remington 19 round magazines may fit and may function, but we have not tested them so we can’t assess their reliability. You can purchase extra PMAG®s from our website.

Physical differences between the “Waffle magazine and the M-14 style magazine necessitate differences in some components used in AR-10As as compared to similar components in the AR-10Bs. Some components of our AR-10A firearms are unique to that family. For example, the AR-10A Bolt Stop, Magazine Catch, Upper Receiver, and Lower Receiver are not the same as those in our AR-10Bs. This Tech Note will explain the physical differences among those components.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-17-2020 at 11:26 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

DPMS build quality rifles. The G2 model of their AR-10 is preferable due to its lighter weight. This is just my opinion but if I have to carry a 12 pound rifle I want it chambered in something large.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

had one back about 15 years ago. It was accurate but had a slightly tight chamber (for an AR) and required small base sizing to run right. No big deal to me but figured id pass it on. Sold it for a good profit back in one of the shortages. Have a psa I build now. Much less finiky gun. Its a 20 inch gun and its lighter then the 16 inch dpms was.

Boolit Master

Have a heavy barreled stainless fluted DPMS AR10 Panther. Very accurate rifle. Unfortunately I also have experienced tight chamber issues. Most problems occurring with once fired military cases. Even small base dies would not form cases for 100% function. Bumping the shoulder back a couple thousandths helped.
    Hiccups with reloaded commercial brass is nearly nonexistent and perfect function in my gun with factory Federal and Remington.
    Lloyd and I were not the only ones with frustrations. Jokes were made about the DPMS AR10 repair kit. A chunk of 2X4 lumber to Extract a loaded round out of the chamber.
    All kidding aside learn to make it run and its a great rifle.

I have the rifle and carbine from the original DPMS. Work great with Pmags or DPMS mags. I size LC MG brass once fired, no problem with RCBS die. Very accurate but heavier than ar15. For a mid priced AR10, very good results.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I bought one new maybe 15 years ago. Would shoot it at 3-gun matches and it was one jamming SOB. Then someone told me they had a bad batch of magazines. Got ahold of DPMS and they told me to send the mags back. Got the new ones and now it purrs like a kitten.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Buddy
    One of the best shooting guns I have. One hole at 100 yards with reloads.

Boolit Mold
    I've had a couple of them over the years. They always performed well and were surprisingly accurate rifle off the shelf. Mine usually took around 100 rounds for the barrel to season.

I got one and then later got the heavy barrel that was offer to me so I have 2 barrels for it , the light one for close shooting and heavy for anything past 100 yards. In 308 Win. both barrels. Did had problems with the NATO ammo from LC it was the powder that was loaded in it, It did not cycle because of it when I was trying to get it sighted in , then I got a different lot number and then I got it to work like I want. I also shoot cast in it, just make sure you clean it after use.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Rifle upper 24" LR308, 100 yds 165gr cast ~2700 fps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TgtGfx8.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	259385
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

My brother bought one, (16" Oracle Model) and after he let me shoot it, I bought one. With plain-jane Remington factory .308 150gr Corelokt ammo, a 3-9x Burris scope, it will keep 3 shots in 1.5" @ 100 yards with boring monotony. Handloads with IMR 4895 and Hornady 150 SST's will group into an inch @ 100.

Recoil seems light for .308, I guess due to the AR gas system and in-line butt stock.

Again, I really like the DPMS AR10. And no, M1A/m14 mags wont work. I buy MAGPUL P-mags.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting