RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Safari Rifle Challenge cancelled

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Safari Rifle Challenge cancelled

I am sad to announce that the 2020 Safari Rifle Challenge in Libby, Montana is being cancelled.

With the shoot now less than 90 days away, and so much national uncertainty about how the Covid19 virus may affect us in the coming months, the organizers felt that it was prudent to cancel this year’s event. I have personally spoken with a number of participants that expressed concern about travel at this time. We felt it was important to cancel the event early enough that there would be no issues for participants who would soon be scheduling vacation days, travel and lodging.

I hope you all understand that we did not make this decision lightly, but obviously the health and safety of event participants is our foremost concern.

On the positive side, we are making some huge improvements to our range facility. All work will be completed before June 12, 2021 which is the date of our next scheduled competition. The addition of four new shooting bays will allow us to run six different stages simultaneously. The planned format is for competitors to move from one bay to the next at their own pace. Shooters will simply need to have completed all six stages before noon. Then, while we have lunch and a prize raffle, organizers will be setting up six new scenarios to be shot during the afternoon. We believe that this format will not only allow for a smoother flow but will also allow us to increase the number of competitors. With that in mind, please be thinking of someone that YOU could invite to the next event. As a little motivation to get the event back on track and celebrate our new facilities, we have decided to offer returning competitors $20 in raffle tickets for each new paid shooter that they bring to the event (details will be in next year’s registration packet).

Hopefully we will all weather the current situation without issue, and I look forward to seeing you all in 2021. Sincerely Jay C. Sheffield Match Director

P.S. If you have already submitted your paid registration, contact me directly at Safaririflechallenge@yahoo.com and I can either make arrangements to return your uncashed check, or with your permission, I will simply drop it in my highly efficient crosscut shredder. We do not want to be responsible for carrying over any funds till next year so please let me know your preference asap. Thanks, JCS
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a fun match. Where can I get the particulars of the match; equipment, rules, guns, ammo, etc.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Sounds like a fun match. Where can I get the particulars of the match; equipment, rules, guns, ammo, etc.
    Contact Jay at the email shown below, and ask to be put on the sign up list. Tell him I sent you, I get bonuses!
    You never know what the scenario of a stage is, until you are handed a sheet when you sign in. Rifles must be .375 and over. Full power ammo.
    Guns have ranged from bolt actions, doubles, single shots, and a 4 bore flintlock.
    Last edited by waksupi; 03-18-2020 at 09:35 PM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

That does sound fun. I spent about a month up in Libby and Troy with the Army about 20 years ago when the forest fires got real bad, lovely area, I liked it a lot. This might be a good road trip to come up and do one day. Maybe the old .458 could be a contender.

It is a fun shoot. I am pretty worn out by the time it's over. Cheap to enter. If a person has a private plane, the range is right across the road from the airport. You just need to watch for animals when landing, moose like to graze on it.

Cast Hunter

Oh definitely sounds like fun! My newly acquired .375 H&H would fit right in.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy

Sent an email for more info. This sounds like a really good time and good reason to dust off some of the .416s in the safe!

Boolit Grand Master

Boy, that does sound fun and the unknown scenario's is a great idea. It would give me a chance to tell my wife that the .416 Ruger I bought is indeed useful outside of making me smile every time I pull the trigger.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I have a .376 Steyr which is kind of a pony to the .375 H&H. I wonder if that would be legal? I can't fire more than a few full power loads with my damaged neck and back plus whiplash since it is pretty light at eight pounds. I should restock it and add a couple pounds of wood to make it bearable but don't get around to it. Minimum listed loads or full cases of 860 just hammers deer. Of all my pet rifles this one is way ahead of any of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    I have a .376 Steyr which is kind of a pony to the .375 H&H. I wonder if that would be legal? I can't fire more than a few full power loads with my damaged neck and back plus whiplash since it is pretty light at eight pounds. I should restock it and add a couple pounds of wood to make it bearable but don't get around to it. Minimum listed loads or full cases of 860 just hammers deer. Of all my pet rifles this one is way ahead of any of the rest.
    Velocity is close enough to the .375 H&H, it would most likely fit the bill. You WOULD be firing more than just a few rounds.

Good for you guys, thanks for doing your part.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

I was told by the match organizer last year they did allow 9.3x62 as the only caliber below .375H&H, at least that's the way I remember the conversation. Might be prudent to verify that, my memory is real good but awful short.