MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two day wait for background check

Boolit Master

Heard thru the grapevine that people from states with strict gun control and have no gun are borrowing guns from relatives that live in other states.

Boolit Master

Well oregon state police do the check and what I read online a few years ago when they say delay they mean till they say ok , washington liberals passed the law that says a semi auto rifle is a assault weapon extra 18 dollar for check and at least a 10 working day wait , pistols are done through local law so paper work makes it a couple days at least , federal law and then state law on something that is an enumerated right .

Yep, same in Ohio. You fill out the paperwork, but they don't have to call it in.

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    No check here. Just hand them my carry permit, sign the paper and walk out the door with my gun
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    California has a 10 day wait. Working days. #2 son who works part time for Cabelas in Oregon says they have a 2000 request back log on their background requests. He work last black Friday after Thanksgiving and then they had a 500 request backlog.

Banned

Just looking up some info about this. If the feds are doing the check, they have 3 business days to approve or deny. If there is not word then the FFL MUST proceed with the transfer. If the state is doing it they have to do the 3 business day turnover as they are now the POC to issue. If there is a problem then the FBI has to go recover the guns. That is how it works.

I think I seen our Governor here in Iowa said that all NICS checks WILL be done on time and with no delay. We are more free than a lot of states. The only thing helping us is that most Farmers are republican. This state caters to the farmers.

Boolit Master
    I would question your "MUST" proceed. I believe most dealers "MAY" proceed. They might not wish to offend the agency doing the background check. An FFL has to deal with agency doing background checks long term on a daily basis and is not going to piss them off for no reason. FFLs have the right to refuse to sell to anyone if they think there is something funny going on.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That’s the way it was always was for pistols in WI till a few years back.

Boolit Buddy
    Here in Washington I used to be able to pick up guns the same day with my CPL. Instant check usually took :15-:30 minutes.

With the new law I had to take a "class" and get a certificate then wait ten days while local LEO does an "enhanced" background check.

It is ridiculous requirement. The "class" and test are lame and a waste of time. Take a look at them.

Also, if I already have a CPL then I probably own guns already. What does the 10 day waiting period do? Am I going to decide not to shoot someone because I don't have the "right" gun in my collection?

Washington state is going downhill fast. With Constitutional carry, state premonition and Castle doctrine it used to be very protective of 2A rights. Unfortunately that is changing quickly.

A two day wait is not stop any criminals from getting guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12