Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt-2 none to be found

Thumbs up RCBS Pro Melt-2 none to be found

could not hold out any longer. My lee pot just does not cut it any more.
    Tried casting yesterday and it was dripping so bad I could not cast.
    Drained it down and cleaned everything and it still leaked.
    I have been holding out for a rcbs pro melt 2.. Rcbs says they do not have any Now they are not sure when they will.
    So I broke down and ordered the Lyman mag 25. There are some good and bad reviews, I ll see what happens..
    Best deal was Amazon $251.00 shipped.
    Lyman 2800382 Mag 25 Digital Furnace

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Good luck with it. Let us know how yours works.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

That stinks. I have about 4 Lee pots, just so that I don't have to constantly change out alloy. They all drip to one extent or the other. I use a PID to control temp. Occasionally I have to clean one and possibly spin the plug to make sure that the seat seals well. I have thought about an RCBS, but at this point, don't think the cost would benefit me over the Lee(s) and a PID.

I run straight range lead in one, about BHN 10 and will harden up nicely with water dropping.

In another, I run straight wheelweights plus tin.

In the third, I run a 50/50 wheelweight and pure lead mix, plus tin when needed.

I think I have a 4th 20lb but maybe I don't. I know I have a 10lb for fishing weights and a second 10lb that I got in a buyout of casting equipment.

I guess you could say I am Lee pot poor, (at least I'm not Lee potpourri, I wonder what that would smell like...Alox, maybe)

Sorry for the lame humor. Been reading too many dad jokes with my girls. They just roll their eyes most of the time.

Have a great day and good luck with your search for the RCBS pot.

Brad

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what I would choose if I needed a new casting pot. I'm fairly lusting for a Magma pot but its hard to justify the $600 price tag. Lee is affordable but many of them leak. The Lyman has mixed reviews. They had so much trouble with the RCBS that they quit selling them until they worked the bugs out. One just doesn't know what to do.

Good Luck with your Lyman pot. Let us know how you like it.

Boolit Mold
    I too just ordered a Lyman. Am hoping for the best with it, but really wanted an RCBS older Pro Melt. Found one on Dixie Gun Works website, but they wanted $545 for it!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shotshooter4 View Post
    I too just ordered a Lyman. Am hoping for the best with it, but really wanted an RCBS older Pro Melt. Found one on Dixie Gun Works website, but they wanted $545 for it!
    If it's NOS that's probably a good deal.

didn't know they were having that many problems with the rcbs.
    $545 price gouging.
    What is (nos) I am not familiar with that?

NOS is New Old Stock.

Banned

RCBS is probably waiting on shipment from China

Rcbs told me over a month ago that they had received a shipment and they were going to cover there retailers first.
    Well after a month I called again because they were not showing up in the places where I shop, I was told that the shipment did not arrive.
    so no telling when it will with all the borders being closed.
    I am at a point where I am not going to wait any longer.
    Lyman has always served me well, not perfect but what is.

Boolit Master
    I have a used Lyman mag 20, see swappin' soon

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Well after a month I called again because they were not showing up in the places where I shop, I was told that the shipment did not arrive.
    so no telling when it will with all the borders being closed.
    The borders are closed to recreational travel.

They are not closed to Commerce.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    RCBS is probably waiting on shipment from China
    This is what happens when corporate bean counters make the decisions. RCBS is smooching on the Chinese tit and guess who suffers.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A couple of weeks ago the screw at the bottom off my Lee pot, that holds the operating linkage on the bottom fell out while casting. It was too hot to put back at the time. A few days later, I filled the pot with ingots and turned it on, forgetting to put the screw back. Of course I didn’t realize it until I started to cast. I didn’t want to stop so I keep on going. It worked fine and I think better, because I could jiggle it to easily get it to stop dripping. Sure you have to be careful when you stop the pour, but it seems to be worth it to have a lot less dripping to worry about. I’m going to try it some more without the screw and see how it goes. Maybe enlarge the hole the screw goes through, so I can jiggle it with the screw in place.

Has anyone installed a handle from a screw drive on the rod that controls the flow? So a slight downward pressure would stop the drip? I'm having to resist throwing this pot in the trash....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Has anyone installed a handle from a screw drive on the rod that controls the flow? So a slight downward pressure would stop the drip? I'm having to resist throwing this pot in the trash....
    One of the members here has modified a spring handle like on a woodstove door to work on his lee pots valve rod .
    I finally decided to buy a new old style pro-melt a few years ago - just to find them unavailable during the time the company was switching over to the new imported casting pot , now I suppose I'm going to wait until they get the bugs worked out .
    Last edited by toallmy; 03-19-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shotshooter4 View Post
    Found one on Dixie Gun Works website, but they wanted $545 for it!
    I really like my old ProMelt and its provided good service. But for $545 I would spend another $55 and order a Magma pot. Have I mentioned that I'm fairly lusting for one?

Magma pot … Lightman I feel your lust. But out of my price range for now.
    I have tried different things with my lee pot handle I added more weight once and a spring at the hinge to create downward pressure. I haven't got brave enough yet I was thinking I would do a valve job. I have compounds from coarse to fine. there are some other things I could do. A old hi pressure Hydraulic trick to fix a leaky seat Smack the male side with a hammer and the female side supported by a chunk of wood might work on the lee pot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Magma pot … Lightman I feel your lust. But out of my price range for now.
    I have tried different things with my lee pot handle I added more weight once and a spring at the hinge to create downward pressure. I haven't got brave enough yet I was thinking I would do a valve job. I have compounds from coarse to fine. there are some other things I could do. A old hi pressure Hydraulic trick to fix a leaky seat Smack the male side with a hammer and the female side supported by a chunk of wood might work on the lee pot.
    I would use the valve lapping compound and watch for the full lapped ring on both parts .
    One thing that made big difference on mine (you may already do this) when emptying the pot don't run the last inch of lead through the spout pour it over the side into an ingot mold .

Decided to give it a try. I lapped the valve after giving it a thorough cleaning.
    Looks pretty good I put the spring back on for downward pressure. I have my bullet material melting. Im going to put a little in at a time and see if capacity has anything to do with it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	258799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast