MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
PBcastco Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope recomendation

Boolit Master

scope recomendation

Looking for suggestion/recommendation for scope on heavy recoil rifle, (my eyes have started to dislike iron sights) Rifles are brno 375H&H and ruger #1 They see a lot of stout loads and they can rattle the your teeth good. Tried a couple of generic tascos they didn't last long.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Any scope with a lifetime, no fault guarantee would seem to be the ticket. Like Leupold...
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Buddy
    The Freedom line of Leupolds seem to be hard to beat for value.I have also noticed several great deals VX1,and Riflemans on EBay lately.I think it is because of the Freedom.I almost bought one last week,but got a VX1 used from EBay for $134.30 including tax,and shipping..Don't be too afraid of buying a used Leupold,but keep in mind that some of the older ones have limited range of adjustment.

I have had a 6x leupold M8 and it was very good for the price, with 4 - 6x it is very good for hunting and a little precision shooting. On Ebay there are some that seem in very good shape for around 200 dollars.

Boolit Master
    thanx for quick replies, since the virus thing has got everyone home hiding (myself included) I've got time now to try some internet shopping
    (prefer to do ftf at small GS's) but difficult to do while being virus savy. Ordered up a gallon of 35% food grade peroxide for misting/disinfecting today (lab rat shooting buddy) says will work really well on surfaces .

Leupold M8 2X Compact- worth looking for used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The Brno and the Ruger both need a long tube scope with long eye relief.
    What I like for an action that needs a long tube on a heavy recoiling rifle is the Leupold M8 fixed 3X scope.
    This scope is fairly compact. It has a wide field of view and long eye relief.
    This scope is hard to find though.

While not the best magnification for shooting tiny groups for hunting it is nearly perfect since .375 targets are not normally very small.
    EDG

I hunted my .375 CZ-550 Safari for 4 years with the Gold Standard for heavy recoiling rifles - A Leupold M8-3X.

I never needed to take advantage of it's lifetime (the life of the scope, not the owner) warranty.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have a Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm on my Marlin 45-70. I've shot a lot of heavy loads through it over the years and it always holds it's zero. I am limited by the low magnification but this rifle is only used for hunting in the thick stuff.
    Maineboy

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried several different scopes on my M70 three six bits and have settled on the Leupold Vari X III 1.5x5 with standard duplex reticle. It also has long enough eye relief. Set at 1.5 it is very quick, as quick as with the iron sights because I can use it with both eyes open. Set at higher power it is adequate for any game, even the smaller plains game at any reasonable ranges the 375 H&H should be used at. The Leupold is relatively light weight so it has less inertia during recoil. The Leupold is mounted in older Weaver style tip off rings. They are light weight, hell for stout and the scope will not move during recoil. The tip offs also make it easy to remove the scope to use the iron sights if one has to go into really thick stuff to "sort things out" …..
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I am a leupold fan

Boolit Bub
    We put a Leupold VX1 3x9 on Brenda’s CVA in 35 Whelen. I am surprised at how clear this relatively inexpensive scope is. Great value for the money. While we own several very nice Leupold’s, none of which as ever had an issue, This little VX1 is among the clearest and our Leupold scopes are all great scopes.

Boolit Master
    i use a nikon 2x7 shotgun scope on my 45-70 nice and clear paralax set at 75 yards.

Banned

yup that one and the vx2 2x7s would be my choices. Both have good optics, eye relief and are tough as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've tried several different scopes on my M70 three six bits and have settled on the Leupold Vari X III 1.5x5 with standard duplex reticle. It also has long enough eye relief. Set at 1.5 it is very quick, as quick as with the iron sights because I can use it with both eyes open. Set at higher power it is adequate for any game, even the smaller plains game at any reasonable ranges the 375 H&H should be used at. The Leupold is relatively light weight so it has less inertia during recoil. The Leupold is mounted in older Weaver style tip off rings. They are light weight, hell for stout and the scope will not move during recoil. The tip offs also make it easy to remove the scope to use the iron sights if one has to go into really thick stuff to "sort things out" …..

In 1969 I bought a Sako Finn Bear 375H&H magnum. I put a new Weaver K3x on that dude and never looked back. 3 years ago I sold all my big bore magnum hunting rifles. I took the scopes off them before sales. That K3 is now on a Marlin 1894 44mg. Today if I was buying scope for 375mg it would be Leupold. My K3 Weaver was made in Texas,USA and they aren’t any more.

The last time I inquired about the long tube 3x Leupold, CDNN said they could order on for me. I beleive they come from Leupold's custom shop. Well worth it. If my son decides to shoot his Ruger #1 45/70 any more, I am going to "repo" my 3.5x10 from him and replace it with a long tube 3x.

Update: I called Leupold custom shop today and the rep there told me that they had discontinued that scope---dad gumit!
    Last edited by murf205; 03-27-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub

I have 2 model 70 Winchesters in 375 H&H and have a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 on one and a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5 on the other.

The one with the VX-3 has had 714 rounds through it, I haven't had to adjust the scope on it since I sighted it in. The one with the VX-3i has only had 125 rounds through it and it's doing as well as it's older brother.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

+1 for the Leupold M8 3x. I have one on my 375 H&H and has never moved or lost zero.
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Master
    I have both Leupold and Vortex Viper. Both are good, and about equal as far as I can tell. Both about the same price, too.

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    Looking for suggestion/recommendation for scope on heavy recoil rifle, (my eyes have started to dislike iron sights) Rifles are brno 375H&H and ruger #1 They see a lot of stout loads and they can rattle the your teeth good. Tried a couple of generic tascos they didn't last long.
    I have had much success with Burris Fullfield II scopes. I had a 2x7 on my Rem 870 with a 20" Hastings barrel that went through a lot of rounds both factory and handloads, before I found what it liked. That gun was eating scopes like nobody's business until I hung the Burris on it and then it held zero with a death grip. The other Burris is a 3x9 Fullfield II on my 700 Rem 280 Ackley and it has survived 2 trips to Alaska with the baggage goons wrecking my aluminum gun case on the last return trip and has been ridden in a scabbard on my 4 wheeler for many rough woods miles and it's zero is right where I left it in 2009. A friend of mine has a 2x7 Burris on his 450 Marlin and he doesn't know the meaning of starting loads but it has held its zero as well. Plus, they are very reasonably priced.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast