RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersPBcastcoRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 6.5 grendel

Boolit Master

6.5 grendel

Giving serious thought to a Howa miniaction in 6.5 grendel 20" heavy barrel anyone have one and opinion on how they shoot j words and cast bullets,best powder etc. Thanks for the input

Boolit Master

I have one that I haven't sighted in yet. I purchased the Howa mini barreled action from Brownells, then bedded it into a Boyd's prairie hunter stock. I think the BA is still on sale for $398 and change. If you catch a 10% off coupon, even cheaper.

I have a couple of the 300 Blackout BAs. The 300 BLK shoots cast into about 1/2 moa or less at 50 yards. I do get an occasional flyer though. These arent weight sorted boolits, ,just cast, PCd and loaded.

Boolit Master

I am liking the mini action so far. The downsides are plastic "bottom metal" and plastic magazines which are proprietary. There are aftermarket aluminum replacement bottom metal available from a couple of suppliers, but they use the same magazines.

All that said, I'm liking mine so far. I had to adjust the inletting on the Boyd's stock to get the magazine to sit higher in both the 300BLK and 6.5 grendel. As inletted, the magazine sits too low for the flat nosed boolits to clear the feed ramp. Now that the magazine sits higher, both rifles will feed the flat nosed boolits I have for those calibers.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20200207_085024.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	258733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20200127_013014.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	258734

6.5 Grendel in the coyote (tan) stock. 20" barrel
    300BLK in the pepper stock. 16.25" barrel
    Last edited by BK7saum; 03-17-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    A good buddy of mine built a custom BR rifle for his wife in the little 6.5 Grendel. She shoots it so well he had one made for himself. We shoot steel targets to 1000yds. It is fully capable of putting the big heavy Coyote target [about 40 lbs] down for the count. Also, it is accurate enough to put a hurting on the crow targets at 850 yds. If you want a small light rig I think it is a winner. if you find the right bullet, I think it is capable for deer out to 400 yds.. uncle mike

Banned

no bolt gun but ive got an ar I just built and about 20 different loads sitting in the loading room waiting for the snow to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Just picked up this one, 10 box of ammo and spare mag
    Can’t wait to try it, Just got the scope mounted, X6i 2.5-15x44 by Swarovski. I’m gonna have to wait on shooting as I am and recuperation from surgery. Very hard to wait

Looks like the 6.5 is a very efficient cartridge and should be a hoot

Boolit Master
    Right now the state is on a lockdown non essential businesses are closed including gun shops and shooting ranges despite the Feds saying otherwise and the order came down that the order has been extended to May. Who knows I might get to pick up my rifle before the winter comes around again. Right now I can think of a whole bunch of deleted expletives I'd like to use describing our Governor and AG but being a gentleman and not wanting to be banned forever I'll bite my tongue
    Last edited by DocSavage; 04-03-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Boolit Master

I bought one two years ago. I wanted the 20”. No one had so I settled for the 22”. I have a buddy who bought a 20” couple Months before me. He has since sold it and is working with his MSR. He is picking up a RA in Grendel.

Mine shoots beautifully.

RL15 and a 123 SST SHOOTS SUB MOA

AR-Comp and a 120 Gold Dot shoots near 1/2 MOA

BENCHMARK and a 120 Sierra Pro Hunter shoots sub MOA.

Heavy barrels can shoot real well but DO NOT guaranty it.

I re Stocked mine in a Boyd’s pro varmint. (Don’t recommend it) I pillar and glass bedded the action and HOGGED out THE BARRE CHANNEL. (Cause the stock warped) but aside for fugly looks there in the barrel channel the gun is a top shooter.

I updated the bottom
    Metal with a DIP trigger guard. I ah e since learned of a std box magazine being made from another vendor that looks real appealing to me as a long detachable Mag isn’t needed for me.

My guns hunt. I bought the Grendel To get just a lil Improvement Over my black out. The best the BO can muster is under 1500 FPE. Heck most don’t hit 1400 FPE.
    The Grendels light est loads are 1500 FPE and top loads are 1800 +. Not allot but it’s a better bullet at slightly better ballistics and THAT nets me a 200 yard caliber where the BO suffers past 125. Not looking for a debate here. I have shot dozens with both the Grendel is better past 100 hands down. You mileage may very and that’s great. This is what I see and experienced.

Love my BO!! It’s light fast and VERY VERY ACCURATE. BUT SO IS MY GRENDEL & the Grendel is there when mister swamp donkey steps out and shakes his head in a clearing in the woods 175-180 yards out...

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 04-03-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

It is probably the best performing factory round for the AR15 envelope. If I didnt have a .243, .250 Sav., and 25-06 here already I might find a use for it. Dang 6.5 bullets are expensive( thanks, 6.5 CM!) I dont like heavy guns for little cartridges so I sold my AR Grendel upper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Built 2 AR15 Grendels, 1 in 20" Spinta Barrel with 7.62x39 bcg & another with Satern barrel/bolt combo. Both shoots light out with XBR powder behind 120SMKs or 120PSPs.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Right now the state is on a lockdown non essential businesses are closed including gun shops and shooting ranges despite the Feds saying otherwise and the order came down that the order has been extended to May. Who knows I might get to pick up my rifle before the winter comes around again. Right now I can think of a whole bunch of deleted expletives I'd like to use describing our Governor and AG but being a gentleman and not wanting to be banned forever I'll bite my tongue
    Sorry to read DS!!

Well get your dues and brass and start loading ladders!!

What powders do ya have on hand?

CW

Boolit Master
    Surplus H335 anb BLC2,IMR 4227. Was hoping to get some loads using cast bullets. Got the regular Lyman jacket and cast bullet manuals plenty j loads but nothing for cast. 126 gr gc sized .266 dia. Did managed to reform a 7.62x39 case to make a dummy round with my cast bullet. Starline brass will be here tomorrow and jacketed 2nds will be here monday by the bullet weightI think they're Lapua 107 gr hpbt.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 04-04-2020 at 06:16 AM.

Boolit Master

I haven’t tried cast I the Grendel.

Read of the issues some have had in Swede. I’m good with out that. I don’t have to shoot cast in everything. I mean I have some that are ONLY cast shooters. Why not have only jacketed.

CW

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 6.5 Grendel’s I have a Ruger Predator which I LOVE and then a custom Larue tactical AR and then A 11” bear creek AR pistol upper that I have on my AR pistol with a SBA3 brace or whatever it’s called

In the past month I have shot just at 1k worth of WOLF ammo and I’m getting 1-1.5MOA which is not bad for me

Boolit Master
    Got what I thought was going to be my 6.5 j words today opened the package and surprise my order for 6.5 mm bullets has magically turn into 22 cal 69 gr hpbt. I can use them in my AR and bolt gun but this is the 2nd time I ordered something in 6.5 mm and got 22 cal instead. 2 different vendors btw. So I sent off an e mail and I'll try a phone call later this morning.