Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matador

Boolit Master

Matador

The recent buzz of the new EDgun Leshiy II had me sucked in. The Leshiy II is a nice semi auto, but perusing the EDgun web site, the Matador just might be the EDgun for me.

WARNING! sticker shock may be severe!

Many PCP air rifles are tender. many models have grubscrews holding the barrel to the receiver. Barrel bands, gingerly guide (sometimes without actually touching) the barrel shroud in alignment with the air tube.

The Matador is robust. Not just built like a tank, but built like a Russian tank! Eduard has even posted a video of himself shooting out the window of a Toyota, removing the scope, laying the rifle on the soft ground. Then driving over the rifle with both wheels, and backing over the rifle with both wheels for good measure.

He then reinstalls the scope and shoots the pretty much the same group as before driving on the rifle.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    I have never heard anything bad about the Edguns, esp. the matador, accurate, tough, etc.

Boolit Master

Long box on the way!
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I'd love to own one of the EdGun Leshis. They are perfectly sized for my liking but there is no way that it can be worth the price they are asking (and getting) for them. It's like a Gucci Gun for the high end PCP shooters. Still, if I had the expendable income I'd most likely get one.

HollowPoint

I like the looks of their guns but too pricey for my taste.

Boolit Master

The price was a hurdle. But it saves me from buying a whole herd 100 dollar air guns that just lack something.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

The box arrived today.
    Opened it, just a slight whiff of linseed oil. The walnut stock is beautiful.

Have not put air in yet. I came lacking a Delrin seal for the fill probe/ foster fitting joint. Called EDgun west and those seals come from Wuhan, he ran out, and can't get more right now.

I have a lathe and some Delrin. Have to do some self quarantine and make one.

H P described the rifle as Gucci. After handling it, it does not exude posh extravagance.

Instead, it is a very well built tool. I'm going to call it like Starrett, for shooters who enjoy fine tools.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 03-19-2020 at 09:24 PM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Ok, I must have missed the walnut when I went looking to the website. All I found was black plastic, which doesn’t float my boat. On the other hand, walnut gets my attention! Can you post a picture of your rifle, would love to see it.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=edgun+mata...ador-r5-03.jpg

Here's a link, since a phone upgrade I'm having trouble posting pictures.
    This one is a single shot, mine is a side leaver repeater.
    This one is short, mine is long but still a bullpup.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Rummaging through the scopes here, I found a bug buster 3-9x. mounted on the rifle and sighted on a target at 25 yards. Took six shots to bring the group from 9 minutes high and 6 minutes left to pretty darn close.

Went out in the pasture shot about 120 rounds at some targets at random distances and angles with a breeze sometimes running to 10 MPH. Did not adjust the sights any more.

At 25 yards it was deadly, took a few shots to realize at 10 yards was 1 mill low, and made some pretty good hits out to about 60 yards. beyond 60 it was difficult to see impacts in the bug buster.
    The scope is an inexpensive optic whose best feature is parralax dials back to 3 yards. This paticular scope has some lens distortion, that along with damp ground preventing dust made seeing impacts difficult.

This is my first bullpup, so far it is working out. When the rifle is shouldered the breech is just under and behind my ear. Not getting the bolt completely closed takes the sound from a ping. to a surprisingly loud blast.

The barrel is located near the bottom edge of the moderator. The rifle has a 20 minute angled riser, so the scope and barrel are about 2.5" apart with this scope and mount. So with a crossover point at 25 yards, the elevation of impact changes pretty wildly in the ranges an airgun will shoot.

I need a better optic. And think sighting the rifle at 40 yards will help take some of the hump out of the trajectory.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Thank you for the update and the insites on setup. Maybe someday I can have such a fine tool and use your tips.

Boolit Master

Stayed home, but installed sling swivel studs in the matador, gave the stock a nice rubdown with boiled linseed oil.
    Installed Athlon Talos 4-14 BTR scope robbed off another gun.
    Pics or it didn't happen!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	matador.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	259064
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, never had a bull pup myself. I made the same type choice as you, my first air rifle was a Theoben Classic, figure I have enjoyed it enough to justify the expense. Nothing in our modern , throw away, world to campare to a finely built air rifle. One of the items that you actually get what you pay for. Folks who thought I was nuts to spend that money on a “bb gun” have now come to understand after experiencing some fine air guns. Don’t know what you are missing till you get one, the one isn’t enough! Lookout, that rifle is going to need company.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have heard good things about Theoben air guns, never handled one.

Don't have an mental picture of what one looks like. There is a Theoben type trigger some people like, Benjamin builds marauders with Theoben triggers.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Here is my Classic carbine, it’s 5 mm. Theoben pioneered the gas spring, mine has not leaked in all these years. I bought it to shoot while my newborn daughter was napping, she is 27 now! Beautiful guns, blueing looks like a Colt Python and an oil finished stock. Looks like walnut but is seduwa, sorry can’t spell it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06985353-F676-4AD3-BABC-8D8C86FF9038.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	259118

Boolit Master

Thanks for the picture and description.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Nice sunny day, got the Matador, chronograph, and range finder out to work up a come up card.

The Matador manual says a .25 caliber will 50 rounds at full power, from 300 Bar down 150 bar pressure.
    (300 bar is about 4350 psi) EDgun west mentioned the seals in the rifle have a much longer life if the fill pressure is kept to 250 bar.

So I fill to about 260 bar, and get 36 shots. The numbers work out well with 9 round mags.
    25.3 grain JSB
    935 fps
    The rifle is zeroed at 25 Yards,
    30y, 1/2 high
    40y, 0
    50y, 3/4" low
    60y, 2" or 1/2mill low
    70y, 3 1/2" or 1 1/2 mil low.

Montana is under "quarantine order", the guvna's order exempted certain activities from lock down, if us people could just practice proper distancing.

Outdoor activities are exempted! Translation? "clodhopper, you have the govna's blessing if you want to go out and shoot a few gophers".

Sadly, not allowed to show any body secret honey hole.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 03-29-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

Yesterday the credit card statement arrived reflecting the purchase of my Matador.

Can't snivel about the number, but will wipe my eyes and get over the cry once issue.

Would I spend nearly $2,000. on another air gun? Well...maybe. Some guys are all about getting an air gun and modding, tuning, shooting slugs, and fiddling around until they realize it just will never shoot like a .22-250. Then they go buy another air gun and repeat the process.

My reason for having an air gun is I want a low power alternative to the .22-250. Something that has a lower power, reduced risk of ricochet, quiet, accurate, repeatable, durable.

Many expensive air guns have barrels retained in the receiver with grub screws. This Matador's barrel is tensioned, via a flange on the breech and a nut at the muzzle, in a CNC machined chassis. The same chassis with a threaded wedge holds the air tank up to the valve. The trigger is nice, rare in a bullpup.

The design, elegant. The machining of the parts is done to very tight tolerances. I have a CNC mill in the garage, so have earned some appreciation of tight fit. If I set out to make something like this, it would take a very long time.

Other airguns lurking around here are going to be ignored.

I might buy another, but this seems to have what I'm looking for.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Moderator Emeritus

My Matador is a Banjamin in .22 calibre, Lothar barrel, and Walnut stock. Two add-ons, so to speak, include a Sig Sauer "Whisky" air-rifle scope (the Whisky3 ASP 4-12-x44; <$200 USD), and the Matador's replacement plastic stock. I was so impressed with the Whisky 'scope on my Sig Nitro Piston air rifle it seemed (and to me, "is") to be a great choice for the Matador. With the wood genuinely gorgeous, rather than scratch, dent, etc. with woods' carry/use -- I reckoned I could both save the stock -- and, almost two pounds of carry weight -- with the plastic. A seem-less one-screw swap of stocks is an added bonus to me! All together -- the Benjamin Matador plus Sig 'scope plus extra (plastic) stock -- was a short eight hundred US dollars.
    To say that I'm happy with the package would be an understatement! 'Specially that I have it wear its walnut at the range; and so readily lighten it up by stock change to plastic for camp and woods.
    geo

Boolit Master

Goerge, my friend, that sounds like a Marauder FT.

I have one in 17cal, and had a regular Marauder in 25. Sold the 25 Marauder to help fund the EDgun 25 Matador.

I will keep the 17 for it's low air use, quiet function, even less power to ricochet. The accuracy is good, but the trigger with no overtravel stop is not optimum for my style.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast