RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Magnum loads

Banned

10 grains of Unique should get you around 1000 f.p.s.

Boolit Master
    A disadvantage with Unique or other fast powders is the possibility of double charging. My range has a S&W 57 on display that has only 1/2 of its cylinder. The shooter didn't get hurt, but the gun is ruined.

Boolit Buddy
    Double Charging with Unique is not a problem if you inspect the cases before seating the bullets . I use a reloading block and shine a flashlight down the cases before seating the bullets . A double charge would be " Very " evident . My favorite load load in 44 magnum , using Unique powder is 9.3 grs with the actual Keith bullet , " H&G 503 " . My experience with the Lyman 429421 is that it's close , but not exact like the H&G mold . Regards, Paul

Boolit Master
    I am a very devoted fan of HS6 powder for the 44.

From the Hodgdon’s #26 manual: 250 gr of lead, 10.0 gr to 12.0 gr HS 6 powder. I use a magnum primer and get pressures in the 24,000 psi (I stopped at 11.8 gr just because it shoots so well)

My 4” Mountain Gun gives me 1066 FPS with a mere 7 FPS Standard Deviation and my 7.5” RH runs 1176 FPS with 15 FPS SD. (RCBS 250K)

It is EASY on the paws and the powder runs like butter on a hot skillet through a measure.

I run Unique and 2400, both great powders. I like Unique as Skeeter Skelton used it (8.5 gr in magnum cases) but prefer HS6 to go ver 1000 FPS in a 4” revolver. I run 2400 from 17.5 gr and a magnum primer, from around 18.5 I step down to standard primers. But primarily I run 2400 at 20.0 to 21 gr. (std primers)

But at that upper medium field load range HS 6 out performs both of these powders. You can find HS 6 loaded into the mid 30k range but that defeats the whole point of keeping lead in the mid 20k range. Obutrate it enough, but not exceed its yield strength.

My full throttle gets Mag primers and H110 and they will run the lead into that higher pressure but I fire so few of these that I suppose excessive leading is avoided.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 03-25-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Three44s,

Why do you use a magnum primer with HS6? I assumed it was an easy to light powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    cowboy4evr

Excellent post. I have posted actual pressure test results comparing Hercules 2400 to Alliant 2400 in several different cartridges showing, other than lot to lot variation, there is no change/difference. Myths, especially when some writer states them in a magazine, are hard to dispel, even with facts.
    As a lurker, I've referred to your postings on .44 Magnum/2400 pressures a few times. I like it when we can cut through all the internet-isms and get some real data.

I worked up to the Keith load(using RCBS 250-K and CCI standard primers) with no problem.

That level of power isn't technically "necessary" for most jobs I'll ever need to do with it, but I like my Magnums to be Magnums, from time to time.
    Last edited by plowboysghost; 04-03-2020 at 12:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    Three44s,

Why do you use a magnum primer with HS6? I assumed it was an easy to light powder.
    Sorry for not checking in sooner!

HS6 is picked on for being dirty and as a spherical powder that is not fast, I went with magnum primers. Besides inside flash hole deburring, I also trim case lengths to a standard length appropriate to my batch of cases and then follow up with a good roll crimp.

All taken together, a standard deviation of just 7 FPS and accuracy to match, I do not see a reason to change to standard primers?

I have done a small batch of standard primers in a 41 Mag with all my other load prep and it was not nearly as clean, so that was the end of that.

Best regards and stay safe!

Three44s

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Sorry for not checking in sooner!

HS6 is picked on for being dirty and as a spherical powder that is not fast, I went with magnum primers. Besides inside flash hole deburring, I also trim case lengths to a standard length appropriate to my batch of cases and then follow up with a good roll crimp.

All taken together, a standard deviation of just 7 FPS and accuracy to match, I do not see a reason to change to standard primers?

I have done a small batch of standard primers in a 41 Mag with all my other load prep and it was not nearly as clean, so that was the end of that.

Best regards and stay safe!

Three44s
    I recently checked an old loading manual, Speer #11, and ALL the 44 Mag loads with HS6 are designated with magnum primers. So Speer agrees with you. I am waiting for my Model 29 cylinder to come back from DougGuy. When it does, I will be trying 2 powders- Universal and HS6. Thanks for the the info.

Boolit Master
    Hardcast,

You will have two great powders there!

I like the Skeeter Skelton load 7.5 gr unique in a 44 spl. Or 8.5 gr in a 44 Mag case pushing the 250 gr of lead. Then when I want to turn up the heat a notch, I go to HS6.

I have used Universal some, it is cleaner than unique. I have tried unique with the 8.5 gr loading with a magnum primer out of curiosity and found the burn was cleaner.

Enjoy!

Three44s

Boolit Master

Perhaps this was mentioned and I missed it but I believe The misconception of early 2400 powder being slightly weaker had to due with the cases. Many of the old time brass cases were lighter having greater case volume and therefore exhibiting less pressure with the same charge of 2400.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Perhaps this was mentioned and I missed it but I believe The misconception of early 2400 powder being slightly weaker had to due with the cases. Many of the old time brass cases were lighter having greater case volume and therefore exhibiting less pressure with the same charge of 2400.
    IIRC, the old balloon head cases were discontinued before the 44 mag was introduced, if that's what you were referring to, hate ending a sentence with a preposition. Sorry.

Back in the early 1970s there were only two 44 Mag loads commonly available, IIRC. Remington and Winchester both loaded full power mag ammo with a 240 grain swaged SWC GC. W-Ws version had a copper wash. I bought 6 boxes of those bullets to load myself. The only difference with the component bullets is they had no copper wash on them. Otherwise they were the same as loaded in factory ammo. I loaded them with the Winchester recommended charge of 24 or 25 grains of H110. They did not shoot very accurate for me. I still have most of them on my loading bench and now that I am old and do not need full power magnums, I wonder if they might be suitable for a mid-range load. Any thoughts on this? There may not be anyone here who has loaded soft swaged 44 mag bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Hardcast,

You will have two great powders there!

I like the Skeeter Skelton load 7.5 gr unique in a 44 spl. Or 8.5 gr in a 44 Mag case pushing the 250 gr of lead. Then when I want to turn up the heat a notch, I go to HS6.

I have used Universal some, it is cleaner than unique. I have tried unique with the 8.5 gr loading with a magnum primer out of curiosity and found the burn was cleaner.

Enjoy!

Three44s

Thanks. That is encouraging.

Boolit Master

I have loaded and fired some 240gr swcbb over 18gr 2400. They take up more room in the case than a Keith. The modern .44 Mag case probably has close to the same amount of space as the baloon head .44spl. Therefore I figured It would work. It made a pretty good load and was comfortable to shoot in my 4" 629. Clean enough to suit me as I use a pretty healthy crimp........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12