Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Western Powders

Western Powders

I have a wonderful Doug Turnbull 1886, takedown, half round, short rifle with 24"barrel chambered in 50-110 Winchester. I have shot 1.5 Swiss 100 gr. with a 300 grain cast boolit and it shoots great. I like Blackhorn 209 in some other cartridges so I called Western and asked the guy on the phone how much Blackhorn that I should use with a 300 grain cast boolit [20:1 metal]. He said to fill the case to the bottom of the boolit and use magnum primers. Then I asked and if I wanted to use a gas checked 435 grain cast boolit how much should I reduce my powder charge? He said that I can only use a 300 grain boolit....end of conversation. I asked why and he said that the 300 grain one was the only one that could be used. There is a 50-100-450 what then? Ideas or suggestions, please. Dr.C

Moderator Emeritus

Go back to Swiss. In essence they either found a problem with it or that was as far as their tests took them. You may go further with it but the factory told you their limits, they don't have to tell you why.
    It may be they are not give out any data outside their tests after the rebates with 4064, it may be unrelated. In any case they instructed you as you asked them to.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Go back to Swiss. In essence they either found a problem with it or that was as far as their tests took them. You may go further with it but the factory told you their limits, they don't have to tell you why.
    It may be they are not give out any data outside their tests after the rebates with 4064, it may be unrelated. In any case they instructed you as you asked them to.
    Thank you for your input which is reasonable and appreciated. Dr.C

Boolit Master

Good advice..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek