Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W Revolver Problems

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Beg to differ. Please refer to "The S&W Revolvers, A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen, 5e, pg 81, Bench Note 3: "The mainspring strain screw must be fully threaded in and seated in the frame. Mainspring arching, tension and weight are reduced by trail adjusting strain screw extension length and not by loosening the strain screw."
    NEVER! DO THIS ON A GUN YOU WILL CARRY!

Was sometimes done for a paper puncher, but testing by the ammunition companies and also at BRL has proven that striker energy of less than 0.010" copper indent as measured using the "C " size copper in the government gage holder in .38 Special increases velocity variation and induces significant and readily noticable increases in vertical dispersion at 50 yards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

There is no better source of reliable information on S&W revolvers than Jerry Kuhnhausen. He gives factory specifications, and demonstrates how to achieve factory specs. Kuhnhausen is a much better source of information than Internet "experts."

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    There is no better source of reliable information on S&W revolvers than Jerry Kuhnhausen. He gives factory specifications, and demonstrates how to achieve factory specs. Kuhnhausen is a much better source of information than Internet "experts."
    Factory-trained law enforcement armorers and the government's weapon engineers at FLETC, NASC Crane, IN, FBI Quantico, Picatinny Arsenal and BRL would disagree.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    When I attended the S&W Armorers School, we were taught to screw the strain screw in tight and leave it alone.

Pretty sure the instructor knew his way around the S&W revolver. That screw is not for adjusting the tension on the mainspring.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I attended S&W police armorer's school in 1982 and was taught by Chet Grondalski and Archie Duibea (sp?) I could tell stories out of school of contract goings on which were investigated by Feds. Suffice to say in that era corporate morality was on a par with VW emission testing today....
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've found ebay to be a great resource. Try looking for N frame parts...you may even find one out of a 25 of the same vintage. Though I hate it when people mess with the hammer or anything connected to it!!!

Strain screws are available. Besides...every S&W seems to benefit from a Wolffe type I or type II. Wolffe will throw in an extra long one if you ask.

Get Kuhnhausen's book.

If push comes to shove you can sell it.

All S&Ws with external hammers should have the hammer block. Sheesh. My 442 doesn't have one since the hammer is internal. I cannot tell vs. my wife's 638. Why people remove them is beyond me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12