Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Long Range Sights

Boolit Buddy

Long Range Sights

For several years I have shot local Match's but the maximum distances were 300 yards. I normally shoot my Browning B.P.C.R. with the Vernier sights that were on it from the factory, I believe they are mid-range sights. I have an opportunity to go to a Match where they shoot up to yards and I am concern if I have enough adjustment.

Boolit Master
    I you were sighted in for 300 yds would your vernier sight have any more available upward adjustment room?

If your can find printed trajectory tables for your load you could estimate hold over.
    If your are consistent your on paper grouping could be quite good, it just might not be in the bullseye.
    Don’t forget to factor in wind drift it’s usually huge for slow moving loooong range shots.

Boolit Master

What is the maximum Match distance? (You kinda skipped that in your initial post). And, what is the height of staff of the installed Browning sight?

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Most mid ranges will get you to 700-800 yds. A lot will depend on caliber bullet weight and loading. When the range gets long a heavy for caliber bullet carries better. Im assuming here a 45-70 rifle. The 535 grn postel loaded to around 1150-1200 fps should get you there in good form. A bullet in the 500-550 grn range will carry its velocity

Boolit Grand Master

The Browning B.P.C.R. Vernier sights are good out to a 1,000 yards.

Lot of info on the Browning BPCR here

http://www.texas-mac.com/

http://www.texas-mac.com/Sight_Setti...vs_Points.html
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I am sorry, I should have given more info. I am shooting a .40/65 with a 400 gr. bullet. I do not know the velocity but I am shooting 58 Gr. of Swiss 1-1/2 and I believe I have about 175 M.O.A. left on the staff if set for 300.

Boolit Buddy
    600 yards

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure how the 40/65 compares to the 45/70 but 600 yards won't be a problem - not sure about 1,000. Here's some actual numbers

http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=827

http://www.longrangebpcr.com/Rifles.htm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-15-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Most mid ranges will get you to 700-800 yds.
    NRA BPCR Mid Range matches are 200-300-600
    You have Plenty of MOA. A 2” mid range vernier has 189 MOA
    My normal BP reloads with a 535gr bullet plus or minus 152 MOA at 600 yds
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    You will have piles of elevation left over on a highwall with a midrange sight at 600. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get pretty close to 1000 yards out of it.

Edit: I just had a look at my notes. With my .40-65 I use 43 more minutes to get from 300 to 600.

Chris.

Boolit Man
    My son and I each have Browning BPCR rifles in 40-65. We mainly shoot silhouette matches with them. We use a load that is a lot like yours. We also compete in 1000 yard Creedmoor matches. At first we tried the 40-65, it didn't work out well. While the sights will allow you to go to 1000 yards, the cartridge is to small to consistently hit at any thing beyond 800 yard range. You can count on the wind blowing at most 1000 ranges and when it does, it pushes that light weight 400 gr bullet all over the place. If your want to shoot 1000 yards, the minimum is a 45-70 and optimum is the 45-90, both loaded with 535 +/- grn bullets.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Depending on the height of your front sight you should be able to get to 800 maybe 900 yards with a midrange soul sight on a 40-65. On my, 45-70, 44 2.4, 40-90 bn, 44-77, using a Baldwin front sight, an MVA midrange soul sight will easily get to 1000 , but doesn't leave much room for elevation adjustment in a head wind. My hepburn 40-70 will shoot to 900 with the same set up, but it's at the top of the slide with no room to go any further up.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.