RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol scope question

Boolit Master
    I can highly recommend a Bushnell Elite 2-6X handgun scope. You have the choice of lower magnification when desired for field of view and higher magnification when needed for accuracy testing. The scope adjustments are accurate and repeatable and can be done with only your fingers. Eye relief is one of the best among handgun scopes and does not change between 2X and 6X. This scope would have to be found used, Bushnell no longer offers it. But for my dollar, it's the perfect handgun scope.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used two power scopes for deer hunting for many, many years.
    Here is my 8 3/8" barreled Model 29 Smith with a two powered Leupold:

My "bad weather" hunter is a Ruger Red Hawk with 7.5" barrel and a similar Burris two power scope. The Burris has a "big dot" reticule that, at the time, was only available from Gil Hebard Guns. The "Big Dot" turned out to be the absolutely best reticule for deer hunting under a variety of conditions. That dot seems to pull the scope and gun into the "perfect shot" under hunting conditions.

In later years, as my vision faded, I came to really enjoy using Red Dot sights. The Red Dots (I have all tube types) are much lighter in weight, smaller and I can use them on targets as well as hunting without issue. They gave me back my skill level that had dropped due to poor vision.

When using a scope type red dot sight, I learned that the 30mm size seemed to be the perfect compromise between field of view and bulk. I found a number of Simmons Red Dots available at close out prices. A Simmons tech that I met at the NRA Convention told me they would work fine for .44 magnum but to not try to use them on anything heavier in recoil. I have never had a failure with any of my Simmons Red Dots. However, I have a couple of Ultra Dots and they have proven to be more resistant to heavier recoiling pieces based on reports from the field from people I trust.

FWIW
    Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 03-22-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a 2x Nikon on a Super Blackhawk and it was all I needed out to 100yrds which was my distance limitation.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by PBSmith View Post
    Excellent reports - appreciate your posts. Will have a look at the red dot before proceeding. Thank you, gentlemen.

Murf, I'm another target homecrafter, so I understand what you're talking about. It amazed me how much better I could shoot certain firearms if I customized the target.

Would you mind telling me the diameters of your 2X scope target? Thanks
    They are as big as I can fit on a piece of copy paper for my printer. The white center section is a must for me because I can see the contrast of the front sight or cross hair.Attachment 259829 I never could see the S&W red ramp or target black front sight worth a darn even when I had good eyesight!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12