Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: One more new toy

Boolit Master

One more new toy

I just finished reading rbertalotto's post about not buying anymore guns at 62 and thought I would share my latest purchase at 72. I had been looking for a 45-70 that I could mount a tang sight on for a little long range fun. Looked at many online sellers and auction sight and was reading this forum and someone ask if they had looked at DGW. That didn't ring a bell with me so I had to google it and found it was Dixie Gun Works. Got to searching there and found a Pedersoli hunter for cheaper than any other place on the web so I pulled out the card and ordered the gun and upgraded the front sight and also ordered a mid priced long range sight. I'm very pleased with what I received. Have not shot it yet but it should do me just fine for what I wanted. Here are a couple of pictures from my phone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6487.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	258582

Name:	IMG_6499.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	258583

Name:	IMG_6498.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	258584

Name:	IMG_6494.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	258585

Boolit Master
    Nice find. A good looking rifle with very pretty wood.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice rifle If using a soft case watch the spring bar on top of the front globe Ive had it snag in the lining and bend.

Quote Originally Posted by wcp4570 View Post

I just finished reading rbertalotto's post about not buying anymore guns at 62 and thought I would share my latest purchase at 72.

found a Pedersoli hunter for cheaper than any other place on the web

Showing us that is cruel & unusual punishment, right there...…….

Niiiice..

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Very nice! I have a Pedersoli long range Express and a C. Sharps here in Shiner!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Very nice! I have a Pedersoli long range Express and a C. Sharps here in Shiner!
    My brother-in-law has a Billy Dixon Pedersoli setup like I did mine and it shoot really good. I did a little casting this afternoon to get ready to do some shooting. Cast up some lyman 457193 and some 457132.
    We have been shooting the 405 gr boolit over 12 and 13 gr of Unique and that proves to be accurate and mild load so that is where I'll start with my new sharps. I have some SR4759 that everyone talks about to try as well. I've never shoot any 4759 before.

Country gent, I don't have a case for my rifle yet but would like to get a leather soft case for it. Thanks for the comment on the flat spring, I never thought about that hazard.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

wcp

Boolit Grand Master

I have the Pederdsoli long range 74 sharps with 34" half round barrel. I t has the long range soule on the tang hadley eye cup and a wind gage front with level in 45-70, its a 1-18 twist barrel. Nice wood and fit finish. It like the heavier bullets 457125 510 grn govt round nose, the lyman 535 postel and the old west 550 grn silhouette. I shoot all Black powder loads with spg lube. Those bullets loaded to 1150-1200 fps really rock the steel critters good. In swinging chickens at 200 yds the 550 can wrap them around the cross bar.

I hope yours perfoms as well as mine does.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have the Pederdsoli long range 74 sharps with 34" half round barrel. I t has the long range soule on the tang hadley eye cup and a wind gage front with level in 45-70, its a 1-18 twist barrel. Nice wood and fit finish. It like the heavier bullets 457125 510 grn govt round nose, the lyman 535 postel and the old west 550 grn silhouette. I shoot all Black powder loads with spg lube. Those bullets loaded to 1150-1200 fps really rock the steel critters good. In swinging chickens at 200 yds the 550 can wrap them around the cross bar.

I hope yours perfoms as well as mine does.
    country gent
    Mine has a 30" with 1-18" twist barrel and weighs in at 10 pounds 6 ounces. The tang sight I bought has windage adjustment at the eye cup. I've made a set of shooting sticks like the guys use on youtube "sagebrush longshots" channel. I have never loaded black powder in anything except a muzzle loader but I want to try it. My brother-in-law knows a guy that he shoots SASS with that is supposed to get us some bp to try. I'll have to see how my gun likes the molds I currently have. I may have to buy the government bullet you talked about and give it a try. Thanks for the info.

wcp

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Wcp, first of all, all Pedersoli barrels are match grade using button boring. Have the Pedersoli Quigley and Competition models, 45-70 and 45-90 ... both accurate to 1000 Yds
    Enjoy your rifle
    Regards
    John

Leading up to retirement I bought a brace of nice Sharps (all Pedersoli's), now, for the last 4 years, I got to shoot at least twice every week!

Top to bottom: 45/70, 45/90, 50/70, 50/90 and 40/65 with 6x Malcolm scope.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

I only use the "Holy Black" in my 45/70's.

Boolit Master

Went out and sighted in the new gun, put it dead center at 50 yards. Next I'll have to work on 100 yards and beyond to work on a sight card. The only thing I had loaded were the Lee 340fp loaded with 12gr of unique. I will play with the front sight inserts to see which one I like best. I want to shoot the Lyman 457193 405gr boolit but didn't have any ready to go.

Name:	IMG_6506.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	258742

Name:	IMG_6505.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	258743

wcp