Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 Lady Bug Rifle Almost Completed

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Is there a reason why the 25 case cannot simply be necked down to take a 22 boolit?You could, but then it wouldn't be a Ladybug. Another question if I may, how would shortening and necking down a hornet case compare? I think NoZombies did a few cases from the Hornet when he was starting out, you will need to do search to find the various threads. I ask this because I have a barrel and hornet cases (not too many pistols in NZ).

If I were to consider the ladybug or ladybug inspired type cartridge, I would make the chamber as a separate piece from the barrel. That way, I could do it in my lathe without the need for reamers. I would also look at a dedicated air rifle pellet firing rifle. I have a tight enough barrel or two and an action body I could re-purpose.
    For my personal Ladybugs, I am going with the unmodified .25 ACP rim since my intended donors are an old Stevens breakopen gun originally a .44XL shot and an replica 1849 Colt that I need to make a cartridge conversion for.

My project is hampered by the fact that my little lathe is not big enough to put a rifle length barrel in it, plus I am still in the design stage fo the cartridge conversion.

Robert

Boolit Master

I got the sizing/decamping die done ! Expander will be next!
    I am thinking about using a Lyman “M” expander to save time and aggravation!
    Seating die then taper crimp die.
    I can only work in the shop for a few hours in the morning with this weather we are having!

The 25 parent case is undoubtedly the best option but they are kinda unobtainium in my parts. The straight walled case aka the Ladybug is the best way to go. It can be sized down and skimmed leaving the rim intact. Not so much the hornet case. For me it seems like giving the hornet case an increased taper blending into the neck would be the simplest but not as simple as the Ladybug. A thought that has crossed my mind is to breach seat a pellet in the hornet and use Dacron to hold a small powder charge in the case. That is something I can do with immediate effect. But the Ladybug idea intrigues me.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

I made some progress on my dies!
    Almost got the seating die done, just need to make the seating stem.
    I have the expander plug finished , I just need to decide how I am going to do the die body.!

Boolit Master

I got the expander finished and figured out how to seat the primers!
    I am using the base from an LEE 38 Special handloader and a punch for core seating for swaging 223 bullets!
    I need to get the right pitch screw to make the seating stem and then make a crimping die!

Boolit Master

All dies are finished and I loaded the first round!
    I had to make a modification to my powder funnel using a 17HRM case and a dipper for a small powder charge!
    I will finish the next 24 rounds in the morning and test fire one in the back yard to see how it works!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12