RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP Savage Model 112, Series-J Bolt Rifle Project Update

Boolit Master

Thumbs up 45 ACP Savage Model 112, Series-J Bolt Rifle Project Update

Hello guys!
    Just a bit of an update on a project I have underway.

I am taking a Savage Model 112, Series-J rifle that was originally chambered in .222Remington, and converting it to a 45 ACP rifle that should give me the opportunity to squeeze as much accuracy out of the 45 ACP as I can. Just to see what it is capable of.

Why? Because I enjoy shooting big, slow bullets like this, and would like to create a great 100 yard gopher/plate/rock etc. smacker!
    The trajectory should be close to the 22lr, and would be more fun to see hits with a 230 grain bullet than a 40 grain bullet.

I may even try to shoot a deer or two with it sometime.

The barrel I am using is a custom job that I am still waiting for. It should be complete and on it's way in about a month +/- a week. The wait is unbelievably painful! LOL!

The barrel is going to be 20.5" long, and a full 1" bull contour.
    - .451" diameter
    - Stainless
    - 1:16" Twist

So far I have:

- Obtained another bolt head for .308win case head size, and fitted it yesterday to the bolt.
    the pin protrusion is at .053", so that is fine.

- The trigger was set to around 10-12 ounces (safely) when shooting bench rest with the .222 Remington barrel. So that will help wring out the smallest groups.

- I have set up a Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x50mm scope with Burris 30mm Signature rings.
    - Installed a +.010" shell in the bottom rear ring and a -.010" shell in the front bottom ring to bias the scope alignment vertically.
    - Installed a .015" Brass shim under the rear scope base to further give me scope bias for the vertical plain. This should allow me to site the rifle in at around 80 yards, and leave me nearly all the vertical adjustment of the scope available for longer shots. (100-200 yards LOL!). Small adjustments may need to be made to fine tune this bias value.
    "If the developed loads are accurate enough to take advantage of this option".

I am hoping to shoot 230+ grain bullets primarily, but will try everything I can in time.

I tried to upload some photos of the rifle project, but this site doesn't appear to allow me to upload from my computer direct.
    So I created a google photo album and created a link to the photo album. Hope this works for you guys.

Note: The barrel presently on the action is still the original .222 Remington barrel. The barrel was left on for sake of the pictures.

here is the google link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8h75oYA36SK3KuzH9
    I can hardly wait for the new barrel to arrive!

That's gonna be a very neat project!
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    I am pretty excited about it as well!

One of the cool things is that this particular action set up was designed as a single shot for a variety of calibers like 6mm rem, 220 Swift, and 22-250Rem. So the trough is exactly the right dimensions to support and self align cases the same diameter of the 45ACP.

The bottom of the whole action is non-inletted /machined and still blind,solid steel, with a perfect concave axial groove machined in the action floor.

This centers the 45ACP case perfectly every time! I have tried about 100 times, just tossing test rounds into the action.
    they just smoothly slip and align themselves for the chambering operation.

This platform will be a simple single shot system, but it should be a super slick, smooth process!

If the extra barrel length doesn't get any significant gains in velocity, I will likely cut it off to 18.5" at a later time. 18.5" is the shortest I can legally shorten a barrel to here in Canada. If it were manufactured (such a stupid law) at 16", it would likely be perfect!

Boolit Master
    Think you are going to really have some fun with the 45acp Savage. Something to watch out for. Bunch of us were shooting 1911's and all of us were shooting 230 hard cast round nosed cast bullets. I was standing behind one shooter at at their low velocities you can actually watch the bullet wobble down it's way to the target. Especially if it's sunny as the light reflects off the base of the bullet. That and you can see the bullet rise up and then drop down to the target. First time I saw this couldn't believe what I was seeing. I assume you are going to put a scope on the Savage. If so no problem with what I just typed. You'll get a good laugh out of seeing the bullet. Have fun. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Think you are going to really have some fun with the 45acp Savage. Something to watch out for. Bunch of us were shooting 1911's and all of us were shooting 230 hard cast round nosed cast bullets. I was standing behind one shooter at at their low velocities you can actually watch the bullet wobble down it's way to the target. Especially if it's sunny as the light reflects off the base of the bullet. That and you can see the bullet rise up and then drop down to the target. First time I saw this couldn't believe what I was seeing. I assume you are going to put a scope on the Savage. If so no problem with what I just typed. You'll get a good laugh out of seeing the bullet. Have fun. Frank
    I am familiar with what you are saying with being able to see the bullets path to the target. It is so cool to see!
    I have been very lucky to see allot of different bullets like this. Like 308Win 168 grain Berger VLD's at 7-800! I was spotting for my buddy and the sun was on my right shoulder behind us. The bullet came into sharp focus as it traveled along the viewing path of the high powered spotting scope! It was so unbelievably clear we kept switching back and forth to watch each others bullets crash into the target.

I plan on putting a good scope on this project for sure. Here is a google photo link to the rifle in the project. The barrel that is on the rifle in the photo is the original .222 Remington barrel. The barrel is not tightened down, as I have it prepped to take off and install the new barrel immediately when it arrives.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8h75oYA36SK3KuzH9

Boolit Buddy
    Lets see if I can post your photos?

Ok, that worked pretty good!

Nice rifle too.
    Last edited by tbx-4; 03-15-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage single shot with a 16.5-17" 45 acp barrel. It's alot of fun and actually pretty useful for killing small varmints and pest. Mine is suppressed which makes it even more fun.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

If your looking for something with a bit more vel a simple solution would be ream it out for 45 win mag . I believe you can still use your 45 acp dies to reload it think starline still sells brass also
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    More case capacity would kill this project in my opinion. I have always wanted to do a 38 super single shot bolt action.

I've wanted one too. Just haven't pursued it hard enough to make it a reality.
    But then I'd be sorry over the short barrel because of wanting to use it for 450 grain paper patched muzzleloaded boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent project.

To the guys who have these .45 acp conversions, where did you purchase the barrels?

Were they pre-chambered? Pre-bored?

Thanks,
    Issac

Boolit Master
    With barrel lengths beyond 16" you actually begin loosing velocity. The rifle barrel can gain you up to 100 fps faster than a 1911. With a rifle action you can use slower powders and higher pressures to get faster velocity, but experience has shown that when you start increasing the powder charge above standard 1911 loads the accuracy starts to fall off. Powders and loads that work best in 45acp pistols usually work best in these rifles. Most 45acp rifles (at least all the ones that I've seen or heard of) generally shoot around a 2" group at 50yards with either cast or jacketed bullets. A 4x scope is more than adequate for these short range rifles. Though it could certainly be lethal, I would not consider a 45 acp as deer cartridge if you have better choices available. 45acp rifles are fun to shoot, and have very little report and almost no recoil. They would be ideal for those places where suppressors are legal. With cast bullet loads they are about the most inexpensive way to have shooting fun. Youngsters and ladies have no problem shooting them. They are great for short range target shooting, and with reactive targets. I have even used mine to pick off ground squirrels out to 40 yards.
    Here's a link to show what velocities to expect: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto2.html

What is the price range of 16" + .451 barrels. Several years ago we were going to put together a 45acp on a 03. Bolt would have been right. The only barrels we could find were mil Surp SMG barrels. We didn't look into custom because of expense. At the time it was just a whim but now would be legal deer gun here in Ohio. I don't have a 03 donar know but have a Enfield action that should work. When we were tinkering with the idea we decided to use something with correct bolt face as money saver. Not interested in building target gun just nice 100-150yd deer gun.

Boolit Buddy
    1" diameter chrome moly barrel blanks 20" long are $45 for 45 Auto .451 barrels.

1.200" diameter stainless barrel blanks 27" long are $155 for 45 Auto .451 barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    1" diameter chrome moly barrel blanks 20" long are $45 for 45 Auto .451 barrels.

1.200" diameter stainless barrel blanks 27" long are $155 for 45 Auto .451 barrels.
    Is this from Green Mountain?
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Is this from Green Mountain?
    Yes it is.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 24" MGM 45acp barrel for my contender. I really should get it threaded!!

Boolit Master
    Dthunter that looks like it is going to e gobs a fun to play with , nice project !

Boolit Master
    If you want to up the juice just get some starline 45 Super brass and load it up to 460 Rowland powder range.

165gr Hydra shock with Longshot powder loaded in 45 super brass.

45acp from a rifle with a 265gr wfn loaded to 950 fps is a killer and would be just fine at putting meat on the table.......I mean 45lc revolvers work don't they?

Mine with the right loads is a sub 2" 100 yard rifle. I use it for blowing up varmints. 165s at 1920fps are pretty awesome but even standard pressure 185gr at 1350fps work amazing also.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Thank you guys! I am really looking forward to doing a wide range of bullet and powder tests, to see what works best for this platform.

I have already done extensive load development for my JR carbine in 45acp. 230 grain hollow points at 1085fps shoot into 1- 1 1/4" at 50 yards fairly consistently. The higher the pressure, the more accurate the jr carbine was shooting. Needless to say, I could only go so far before I started to experience evidence of pressures nearing their limit.

This bolt rifle will allow me to advance past this range and discover what I can achieve with slower powders, for a longer, progressive push.

I have heard that barrel lengths past 14-16" yield little to no velocity advanantage. This is where the slower powders will take over and progress past this velocity range.
    Make no mistake, I will not push things into the dangerous range. I want this combo to last and yield some game smacking fun!

As far as the 45 ACP being enough to kill deer, I am not at all worried about it! I have shot game with many different handgun cartridges, archery equipment (LONG BOW, RECURVE, COMPOUND). Never encountered any problems, because I am aware of the limitations of what ever weapon I have chosen to do the job. That is more than half the challenge and fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast